Changing week start day in Notes 8

Manav Gupta

Feb 17, 2010, 6:52:07 AM2/17/10
Hi Gurus

I've just received a new work laptop and the Notes 8 calender view has
the month starting from Sunday instead of Monday (ie, in the Calendar
"One Month" view, the days are listed starting Sunday to Saturday,
instead of Monday to Sunday)... is there a way I change that?

Many thanks
Manav

John Kerbaugh

Mar 18, 2010, 1:31:28 PM3/18/10

Yes Sr.
File > Preferences > User Preferences >> International > Calendar.

jason...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2012, 12:27:07 PM7/2/12
I found this File > Preferences > Calendar and To Do > Regional Settings

adamh...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2013, 12:20:06 PM9/4/13
With the calendar defaulting to starting on Monday, it shows Saturday and Sunday as narrower columns on the right side.

After changing the settings to start on Sunday, it still shows the right 2 columns narrower than the others, which are now Friday and Saturday.

Why would I want to show Friday and Saturday narrower than other days? I have configured it as Monday through Friday being the work days.
Why would I want to start the week on Monday when every other Calendar I've ever seen in my life starts on Sunday?
Why can't this program show a normal freak'n calendar?

Hans-Georg Michna

Sep 5, 2013, 2:36:27 AM9/5/13
On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 09:20:06 -0700 (PDT), adamh...@gmail.com
wrote:

>With the calendar defaulting to starting on Monday, it shows Saturday and Sunday as narrower columns on the right side.
>
>After changing the settings to start on Sunday, it still shows the right 2 columns narrower than the others, which are now Friday and Saturday.
>
>Why would I want to show Friday and Saturday narrower than other days? I have configured it as Monday through Friday being the work days.
>Why would I want to start the week on Monday when every other Calendar I've ever seen in my life starts on Sunday?
>Why can't this program show a normal freak'n calendar?

It's not normal, just American. In Europe the convention is that
the week begins on Monday.

But I agree, your description shows a defect in Notes. It
should, of course, show the weekend days narrower.

Hans-Georg

adamh...@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2013, 2:38:30 PM9/11/13
Thank you for the response Mr. Michna.

Or it could just show all days the same width, like most paper pin-up calendars do (at least in the US).

The difference between American vs European calendar is interesting.

Create a new appointment, then click the little calendar icon next to the start date that enables you to selected a date from a little popup calendar. On that pop-up calendar, what day of the week does it start with? Ya... Sunday.

At least this does offer some confirmation that it really is a quirk and I'm not just missing some setting somewhere.

This program drives everyone in our office bonkers. It is one of the most poorly designed and disorganized software interfaces I've ever had the displeasure of using.
Message has been deleted

petbad...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2013, 1:59:02 PM10/4/13
Drove me nuts as well. But saw this online:

"Open your Calendar and select "More/Preferences/Views"

Then select every day to be a day in your work week. Save this and
then look at the calendar view "One Work Week". You will find that all
the days are the same width."
http://compgroups.net/comp.groupware.lotus-notes.misc/lotus-notes-8-calendar-saturd/9525

Not the prettiest solution, but setting all days as work days makes the columns the exact same size if you are a person who does have business meetings/appointments on weekends you need to see. Otherwise you could keep a M-F work week and use the View - Change Format - One Work Week option instead of View - Change Format - One Week. (or right-click on any blank calendar timeslot and change the format)

Also saw this in the IBM forum and since 2010(!!) it's been a request that the Notes UI team seems to either ignore or find it so insurmountable of a task they simply can't do it! Look at the posted replies.

http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/nd85forum.nsf/0/76d43beeafc08856852577360056affe?OpenDocument

philipb...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2017, 12:54:15 AM4/17/17
Took me a couple tries to locate "Regional Settings"

I was mistakenly looking for it as a tab in the main area of the window, but found it as a dropdown option on the lefthand side. Thanks for the information (even if it was provided 5 years ago)! I changed all the start day options to Sunday.