DirectX 9 Issue??

Left Hand of Empire

Aug 25, 2004, 11:52:13 AM8/25/04
Hello, All:

Are there problems with DirectX version 9?? What are the differences
between the "b" and "c" versions??

I ask because I wonder if having installed DirectX 9 was a bad
idea....

I have two laptops, one with a P-M @ 1.5 GHz, 1 GB system RAM, and an
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64MB on DirectX 9b. The other is a
PIII-M @ 1 GHz, with 512 MB system RAM, and a "regular" ATI Mobility
Radeon with 64MB that used to run DirectX 8.1 but now does version 9c.

Codemaster's "Operation: Flashpoint" isn't running on the new laptop
with the ATI MR 9700. I hear sounds, but there's no display...it's
just a green screen!

Also on the new laptop, Valusoft's "Hard Truck 2" gets me to the
opening screen with the main menu, and is just stuck there. I have to
press ALT+CRTL+DEL ***REPEATEDLY*** (like twenty times!!!) to get out
of it (no, ALT+F4 doesn't work).

What gives??

The old laptop runs "Operation: Flashpoint" on DirectX 9c. But it
will not run "Hard Truck 2" now (same symptoms), even though it did
before on DirectX 8.1!

My ATI driver on the new laptop (with the MR 9700) seems current, as
it is dated Nov. 2003, so I don't think it's the ATI driver, right?

Can anyone please advise?? This stuff is just really frustrating...I
mean, I'm no Luddite, but computers are just so...ugh!!!

TIA!

Left Hand of Empire

Aug 30, 2004, 10:01:08 AM8/30/04
Hey, y'all:

Just thought I'd follow up, as a kind of courtesy for those who took
the time to respond, on my "Operation: Flashpoint" not running,
getting the green screen, etc.

Well, it seems that it was all DX9's fault! Yup, I ran that freely
available DirectX Uninstaller (thanks, whoever you are that made it!)
and restored things to DX 8.1 and have had no issues.

***EXCEPT*** that if I enable, in OFP's setup program, Hardware
Transform and Lighting, I get this really weird experience: most of
characters' bodies are missing! "Missing" as in "not rendered," like
the Invisible Man wearing some clothes, if you can imagine what I
mean. You see part of the uniform (just some, really), and the
weapons fully, running around as if animated by ghosts....

Anyway, just plain bizzare! Now even though my ATI Mobility Radeon
9700 doesn't support DX9 -- and the card is listed as being "DX9
compliant," if not "compatible" or "supported" -- I don't see why that
should have an effect....