3D Volume mesh from random points and boundaries

Bert

Jan 7, 2003, 6:56:15 AM1/7/03
Hi All,

I'm new to this group, I'm a researcher at the university of leuven,
belgium. I'm looking for an algorithm that will generate a tetrahedral mesh
given a collection of points. Ideally, I want to find a mesh representing
the volume of a room.The mesh should also be connected to the triangles from
which the room walls are made up. I suppose I would start with a room
described by a very small amount of triangles, then refine the mesh to get a
lot more triangles, and then generate the volume mesh (made up of
tetrahedra) and connect it to the triangles of the walls.

thanks,
bert

Dave Eberly

Jan 7, 2003, 9:35:28 AM1/7/03
"Bert" <bes...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I think you might want a "constrained 3D Delaunay triangulation".
Use of "triangulation" is a misnomer in 3D since you actually get
tetrahedra, but "triangulation" appears to be in the computational
geometry vernacular. The constraints are that you require certain
triangles to occur as faces of the tetrahedra.

--
Dave Eberly
ebe...@magic-software.com

Peter Halls

Jan 7, 2003, 10:41:19 AM1/7/03

A good starting point is Joseph O'Rourke's 'Computational Geometry in c',
Cambridge University Press, 1998 (2nd Edn).

Alternatively, look out Chris Gold's publications: he's done a great deal
of work in this area. Chris was for many years at various Canadian
universities but is currently at Hong Kong Technical University.

PPPPPH H | Peter Halls - University of York Computing Service -
P P H | GIS Advisor
P P H | Email: P.H...@YORK.AC.UK
PPPPPJHHHHHH | Telephone: 01904 433806 FAX: 01904 433740
P J H | Smail: Computing Service,
P J H | University of York,
P J H | Heslington.
J | YORK YO10 5DD
J J | England.
JJJ This message has the status of a private & personal communication