BOB/Vivid source code, who has the Photorealism book?

John P. Beale

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99

As the discerning reader of the C.G.R.R FAQ knows, the book referenced
below contains source code to BOB, a raytracer (which from what I recall
hearing from Stephen Coy IS the Vivid raytracer -or was, this was a
lifetime ago in software years). This book is out of print and M&T Books
(since acquired by another company) referred me to an out-of-print search
service. Who, after three months, have found one copy of the book but
missing the CD. Argh. Anyone have this book ? Want to sell me your copy
WITH the CD? BookLook (www.booklook.com) wanted to sell me the book, used,
without the CD, for $75, just for your info. It's been a frustrating
search so far.

Title: Photorealism and Ray Tracing in C
Authors: Christopher Watkins, Stephen Coy, Mark Finlay
Publisher: M&T Books
Year: 1993

-john
be...@best.com

park...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
In article <36924fed$0$19...@nntp1.ba.best.com>,

"John P. Beale" <be...@shell3.ba.best.com> wrote:
> Title: Photorealism and Ray Tracing in C
> Authors: Christopher Watkins, Stephen Coy, Mark Finlay

If you can't find it absolutely anywhere else, the entire book is on the
DDJ Essential Books on Graphics Programming CD, with source code. The
price of the CD is $69.95, so it's not cheap, but it can be found at
http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry?SID=2823&SP=10007&CID=0

John P. Beale

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
John P. Beale <be...@shell3.ba.best.com> wrote:

: Title: Photorealism and Ray Tracing in C
: Authors: Christopher Watkins, Stephen Coy, Mark Finlay

: Publisher: M&T Books
: Year: 1993

Thanks for everyone who responded, there were quite a few of you (the first
one being Stephen Coy himself!) Interestingly, no one wanted to sell me
their own copy of the book, which speaks well of its value! In any case it
turns out that Barnes & Noble's online "out of print" section does list it,
with the original 5-1/4" floppies, for $14 so I snapped it up. Thanks
again.

-john

William Brodie-Tyrrell

Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99
to John P. Beale

I got this book in a Dr Dobbs CD (their Graphics Programming one). It has the
full source etc on the CD as well as the book text (with bonus typos) and
graphics in the DDJ-proprietary-and-really-crusty reader.

AFAIK this CD is still available from DDJ, and has a few other decent books on
it as well, and I think it is about US$45 (but I may be much mistaken).

"John P. Beale" wrote:

> As the discerning reader of the C.G.R.R FAQ knows, the book referenced
> below contains source code to BOB, a raytracer (which from what I recall
> hearing from Stephen Coy IS the Vivid raytracer -or was, this was a
> lifetime ago in software years). This book is out of print and M&T Books
> (since acquired by another company) referred me to an out-of-print search
> service. Who, after three months, have found one copy of the book but
> missing the CD. Argh. Anyone have this book ? Want to sell me your copy
> WITH the CD? BookLook (www.booklook.com) wanted to sell me the book, used,
> without the CD, for $75, just for your info. It's been a frustrating
> search so far.
>

> Title: Photorealism and Ray Tracing in C
> Authors: Christopher Watkins, Stephen Coy, Mark Finlay
> Publisher: M&T Books
> Year: 1993

> -john
> be...@best.com

William Brodie-Tyrrell

Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99

William Brodie-Tyrrell

Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99
to John P. Beale

William Brodie-Tyrrell

Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99

sorry about that, Netscrape said it failed to send, which must have been the email
CC.

William Brodie-Tyrrell wrote:

> I got this book in a Dr Dobbs CD (their Graphics Programming one). It has the

<loadsa shit>