REPOST: Problem "Rotating" digital pictures

Doug B

Jan 1, 2002, 11:19:47 PM1/1/02
As you will be able to tell from my question, I'm not an expert in editing
digital pictures.

When I have a digital picture that I want to ROTATE 90 degrees (because I
took it with the camera turned on its side), something strange is happening
in Paintshop Pro v7...

Say the image is 1,500k in size... after I rotate the image, it might be cut
down to 200K or 300K... But the resolution and color depth is still showing
up as the same. What is happening here?

Basically I want to keep all of my original digital pictures in their
orginal (native) format. I don't want to give up any picture quality.

What am I doing wrong or missing? Is this a PSP7 problem or am I missing
something obvious here...

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Doug

Ignore this text:
d93dz9z9adf1299ba9sdfasd9f125r9zz9cv9xas9df9asdf99129z9

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======:
From: "Doug B" <dou...@email.com>
Newsgroups: opera.test,news.admin.censorship,alt.test,rec.photo.digital
Subject: cmsg cancel <DTvY7.43784$fo.13...@news1.rdc1.md.home.com>
Control: cancel <DTvY7.43784$fo.13...@news1.rdc1.md.home.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 03:11:48 GMT

autocancel

RBe7238518

Jan 3, 2002, 12:44:38 PM1/3/02

>As you will be able to tell from my question, I'm not an expert in editing
>digital pictures.
>
>When I have a digital picture that I want to ROTATE 90 degrees (because I
>took it with the camera turned on its side), something strange is happening
>in Paintshop Pro v7...
>
>Say the image is 1,500k in size... after I rotate the image, it might be cut
>down to 200K or 300K... But the resolution and color depth is still showing
>up as the same. What is happening here?
>
>Basically I want to keep all of my original digital pictures in their
>orginal (native) format. I don't want to give up any picture quality.

I had the same problem myself Go to the save as function Bring up jpeg as the
file look at the options and make sure the compression is set to the LEAST
amount (best quality) If you do a lot of resizing for the web it is easy to
leave it at a setting other than best
Robert Beacon

Helge Buddenborg

Jan 16, 2002, 12:45:48 AM1/16/02
You are probably saving the file at a higher compression ratio. I'm not
familiur with Paint Shop but in PhotoShop one selects a quality setting
from 1 to 10, or 1-12 in ver 5.5 and 6.
When you save a JPG file after rotating or making other changes you
should "save as" with another name or another folder. If you just
"save" the file you may degrade the quality of the file, more so when
the compression is set higher (lower quality).
Usually if I'm working on a file I first save it as a lossless file such
as Tiff , PSD etc.
Hope this Helps I guess I rambled a bit please forgive me.

If you reply directly remove "nospam" in my address

Helge

Chris

Jan 16, 2002, 8:39:56 AM1/16/02
What you need is a loss-less JPEG rotation tool.
ACDSee 3.1 has it. There are probably others too.

Thx,
Chris.

Ilya Razmanov

Jan 16, 2002, 9:25:35 AM1/16/02

"Chris" <thiswo...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> What you need is a loss-less JPEG rotation tool.
> ACDSee 3.1 has it. There are probably others too.
>
> Thx,
> Chris.

http://www.jpegclub.org - the tool called "jpegcrop" allow to rotate, mirror
and even crop JPEGs without recompression. It's free BTW. Highly
recommended.

Ilyich.
Ilya Razmanov (a.k.a. Ilyich the Toad)
http://photoshop.msk.ru/ - Photoshop plug-in filters
"Stop him, Sam, he's gonna tell us a story!" - Max,
Sam and Max hit the road

arnie

Jan 16, 2002, 2:31:24 PM1/16/02
I like PicaView (same people who make ACDSee) from
http://www.acdsystems.com/English/Products/ImagingProducts/Utilities/Picavie
w/index.htm

Right-click on the file in Windows Explorer, choose JPEG Transform, choose
the way the image is to be rotated, and click OK. There's no need to even
open the graphic. It is also very handy when looking for a particular file
but you don't want to fire up PSP's browser - it displays a thumbnail in the
Explorer right-click menu.

Alan Palmer
http://www.greenwich-guide.org.uk

marjory

Jan 17, 2002, 9:20:16 AM1/17/02
"Chris" <thiswo...@nowhere.com> wrote:
>What you need is a loss-less JPEG rotation tool.
>ACDSee 3.1 has it. There are probably others too.
>
>Thx,
>Chris.

One more recommendation for IrfanView here -
http://www.irfanview.com/
Lossless jpg rotation, and an image browser that you can add to your
right-click menu so you can quickly look at a whole folder of photo
thumbnails. I like being able to open and browse a folder this way in
PSP if I'm planning to work with the photos, but it takes a lot longer
to start up than IrfanView does. You can also open a photo that you
are viewing in IV into your choice of an external editor, which I have
set up for PSP.
Marjory

Juan Carlos

Jan 17, 2002, 6:15:43 PM1/17/02
look at this...

http://www.ijg.org/

juan carlos

"marjory" <mar...@not.here.nycap.rr.com> escribió en el mensaje

Hans Soderquist

Jan 17, 2002, 6:35:14 PM1/17/02
Does anyone know of a lossless JPEG rotation tool for Macintosh? Every
time I rotate a JPEG in photoshop I have to resave it as a TIFF to
prevent recompression.

Thanks.

Ron Hunter

Jan 18, 2002, 6:35:45 AM1/18/02

Suggest you preserve the original picture, load it into your photo editor, and
then NEVER save it as .jpg until you are DONE editing. Each time you want to
reedit, go back to the last .TIFF to start. Repeated edits and saves of .jpg
files always degrade.

--
Ron Hunter rphu...@charter.net

xalinai

Jan 19, 2002, 4:26:23 AM1/19/02
Ron Hunter wrote:

Ever saw pictures taken with a digital camera in portrait mode? They
need to be rotated before you can start working and usually the are JPG
format (most people can't afford to switch of compression for lack of
memory).

Michael

baseb...@hotmail.com

Jan 19, 2002, 9:19:23 AM1/19/02
On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 10:26:23 +0100, xalinai <xal...@xalinai.de>
wrote:

Doesn't PSP have a batch conversion mode? Download the files from the
camera into a folder, use PSP to convert them to some lossless format
and you can rotate away, then, without fear of degrading the picture.

--
Cliff
baseb...@hotmail.com

Guido Vollbeding

Jan 20, 2002, 7:46:19 AM1/20/02

There are some listed at http://jpegclub.org/losslessapps.html .

Regards,
Guido

Ed

Jan 25, 2002, 2:38:44 PM1/25/02
>On Wed, 02 Jan 2002 04:19:47 GMT, "Doug B" <dou...@email.com> wrote:

>When I have a digital picture that I want to ROTATE 90 degrees (because I
>took it with the camera turned on its side), something strange is happening
>in Paintshop Pro v7...
>
>Say the image is 1,500k in size... after I rotate the image, it might be cut
>down to 200K or 300K... But the resolution and color depth is still showing
>up as the same. What is happening here?
>
>Basically I want to keep all of my original digital pictures in their
>orginal (native) format. I don't want to give up any picture quality.
>
>What am I doing wrong or missing? Is this a PSP7 problem or am I missing
>something obvious here...
>
>Many thanks in advance for your help!
>
>Doug

Doug,

What is the native format ? I didn't see anyone ask that yet :)

Saving after an edit (rotate) without losing quality and retaining
native format may be mutually exclusive.

As others mentioned ... save in lossless format ... rotate ... and
then output to your native format (if lossy).

While it's highly possible that you are saving at a higher compression
in a lossy format ... be aware ... even a lossless format will show
different stored sizes if you rotate them. It has to do with the
compression algorithum and the "new" image it is now compressing. The
pixels aren't in the same positions after a rotate, and may compress
better rotated.

that is true only with formats that compress ... uncompressed tiff
should show the same stored size no matter what you do to it as long
as it's not resize.