How do I get PSP8 to Connect to my Network Printer?

Annix

Sep 7, 2006, 11:14:25 PM9/7/06
Hi all.

I've been using PSP since ver. 3 and this is the first time I've had a
problem with it: Ever since our old printer died and we installed a network
printer on our LAN, I get a message saying there is no default printer
installed when I try to open the Print Layout applet in PSP 8. I use that
applet at least once a week and I'm tearing my hair out.

Does anyone here have any ideas as to how to get PSP 8 to connect to the
network printer? It's a Brother HL-2070N.

TIA

Trev

Sep 8, 2006, 3:31:26 AM9/8/06

"Annix" <al...@this.invalid1> wrote in message

Do you have the printer set for sharing? Have you installed the drivers?
Have you set it as default printer on this computer? Can you print to it
from other programs like Word?

Bert Byfield

Sep 8, 2006, 3:56:09 PM9/8/06
>> I've been using PSP since ver. 3 and this is the first time I've
>> had a problem with it: Ever since our old printer died and we
>> installed a network
>> printer on our LAN, I get a message saying there is no default
>> printer installed when I try to open the Print Layout applet in
>> PSP 8. I use that applet at least once a week and I'm tearing my
>> hair out.

> Do you have the printer set for sharing? Have you installed the

> drivers? Have you set it as default printer on this computer? Can
> you print to it from other programs like Word?

I have the same problem with a Lexmark printer an no network. The
drivers work fine. It's the default computer. I can print from other
programs. But on "Print Layout" it refuses to print because there is
"No Default Printer." I do a work-around by making a blank image
that is 8.5 x 11 and I copy the images to it as layers. This gets me
what I want, but I'd rather that "Print Layout" worked. This used to
work with my *old* Lexmark printer, but when I bought a new printer
the problem popped up.

Annix

Sep 8, 2006, 4:01:55 PM9/8/06
"Trev" <trevbowdenHATdsl.pipex.com.invalid> wrote in

> "Annix" <al...@this.invalid1> wrote in message
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I've been using PSP since ver. 3 and this is the first time I've had a
>> problem with it: Ever since our old printer died and we installed a
>> network
>> printer on our LAN, I get a message saying there is no default printer
>> installed when I try to open the Print Layout applet in PSP 8. I use that
>> applet at least once a week and I'm tearing my hair out.
>>
>> Does anyone here have any ideas as to how to get PSP 8 to connect to the
>> network printer? It's a Brother HL-2070N.
>>
>> TIA
>
> Do you have the printer set for sharing?

Yes

Have you installed the drivers?

Yes

> Have you set it as default printer on this computer?

Yes

Can you print to it
> from other programs like Word?

Don't have word, but yes, Wordpad and Notepad
and even other art programs are printing fine.
PSP8 prints fine, too, (darn! I forgot to say
that before, sorry!)but the PSP Print Layout
applet that lets you combine various files for
printing on a single page can't find the printer.

I even reinstalled the network printer with the latest
drivers.

I have since downloaded the Corel version of
PSP - v 10, on a 30 day trial. It has no problem
with the Network printer so far. I'm working in
PSP 8 and printing from PSP 10 for now as I don't
have time to find everything in 10 to set it up
the way I need it.

I would love to get this glitch in PSP 8 sorted
out, as the program is set up the way I like and
I'm resistant to change.

Thanks for the reply. Any more suggestions?
Anyone?

Annix

Sep 8, 2006, 4:21:21 PM9/8/06
Bert Byfield <bbyf...@nospam.not> wrote in

<snipped stuff>

> I have the same problem with a Lexmark printer an no network. The
> drivers work fine. It's the default computer. I can print from other
> programs. But on "Print Layout" it refuses to print because there is
> "No Default Printer." I do a work-around by making a blank image
> that is 8.5 x 11 and I copy the images to it as layers. This gets me
> what I want, but I'd rather that "Print Layout" worked. This used to
> work with my *old* Lexmark printer, but when I bought a new printer
> the problem popped up.

Exactly.

You have my sympathies. Yes, I have used that solution
too when not in a hurry.

I guess it just doesn't know how to connect ot a network
printer. (sigh) I'm going to go rummaging through the PSP
files next.

Trev

Sep 8, 2006, 5:03:27 PM9/8/06

"Annix" <al...@this.invalid1> wrote in message

Install a dummy printer or a second instance then you can change the default
to the dummy to kid PSP and then change back. Seams to work for some folk

Annix

Sep 9, 2006, 11:26:53 PM9/9/06
"Trev" <trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM> wrote in

Hi again... Well I tried your suggestion, but program was too smart for me.
It saw through my transparent attempt at sleight-of-hand. Bested by a piece
of software. Oh, what has man/woman kind become.

Perhaps I'll try it again with the program open this time.

(In PSPX, I had laboriously placed two 5.5"x8.5" graphics on the landscape
8.5"x11.0" page, saved it with images, after printing one copy at a time to
verify that it was aligned properly. Then being satisfied, I changed the
number of pages I wanted printed to 10, clicked OK, and the images were
suddenly flipped to portrait mode while the page was still in landscape
mode. *shakes head with very little hair left*

After fiddling with closing and re-opening the Print Layout applet loading
the file a number of times with the same lopsided result, I finally tried
making the page portrait, loaded the saved file and it turned the page to
landscape and placed the images corectly! LOL!

So much for PSPX. I'm sure its a very nice program, but I'm going back to
making fire by rubbing sticks together, thanks. lol

Thanks for trying your best to help me. It is good to know that this ng is
here, as well as the ones at Corel. Again, thanks!

Trev

Sep 10, 2006, 4:30:10 AM9/10/06

"Annix" <al...@this.invalid1> wrote in message

Win Xp has a print wizard called from the fax and print viewer. This does
multiple prints on a page too.

x0tix

Sep 10, 2006, 10:13:13 AM9/10/06
"Trev" <trevbowdenHATdsl.pipex.com.invalid> wrote in

<snipped a whole lot of stuff>

> Win Xp has a print wizard called from the fax and print viewer. This does
> multiple prints on a page too.

Really? *blush* I can't believe I never investigated that. lol

Thanks for hanging in there with me, Trev.

Trev

Sep 10, 2006, 10:57:34 AM9/10/06

"x0tix" <al...@this.is.invalid> wrote in message
Psst dont read this out loud, but it does a very good job of
Interpolarising pixels. As I discovered when printing the low res image
that I had saved for the web at 10 x 8 inch's instead of the 240ppi 10 x 8
that I had meant to print

Annix

Sep 10, 2006, 4:37:26 PM9/10/06
Bert Byfield <bbyf...@nospam.not> wrote in

> I have the same problem with a Lexmark printer an no network. The
> drivers work fine. It's the default computer. I can print from other
> programs. But on "Print Layout" it refuses to print because there is
> "No Default Printer." >

Bert: This worked for me. After trying everything I took my life into my
hands and had a look around the Windows Registry.

Here's what I did:

I opened the Windows Registry (Start/Run and typed "regedit" <without
quotes>) and SAVED A COPY of the whole thing (Export option). In the registry
I went to "My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Jasc" (I typed that without
quotes into the "Find" box)

Once there I typed "Printer" into the find box -again without quotes.

I found three entries for PrinterName: Two of them had "(zero length binary
data)" as the entry in the "Data" column in the right-hand pane. The other
contained the string for the last computer I had on the now defunct Print
Server --a Samsung.

The keys were:

<"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Jasc\Paint Shop Pro 8\General\Miscellaneous">

<"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Jasc\Paint Shop Pro 8\JascCmdPrint\Print
\PrintingOptions">

<"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Jasc\Paint Shop Pro 8\JascCmdPrint\QuickPrint
\PrintingOptions">

Any other references to printer I ignored.

Next, one at a time, in the right-hand pane, I right-clicked on PrinterName,
and deleted the entry, then I right-clicked on the last item in the "Type"
column and chose "New\string value", which created a new entry. This I named
"PrinterName" and right-clicked it and chose "Modify", and entered the name
of my printer "Brother HL-2070N" (Again without quotes). That name then
showed up in the "Data" column.

I did this for all three entries, and closed the registry editor.
I really hoped it would work, but didn't expect it to be that easy.
To be on the safe side, I restarted Windows before opening PSP8.

Nevertheless, it did in fact work!

I opened PSP8, made two quick files with line cartoons on them and clicked
the Print Layout Icon... Low and Behold, it opened the applet! =)

I juggled the two pics into it and hit print --worked like a charm!

I'm so happy!

I hope this will serve as a help for others for whom the applet has got stuck
on a printer that no longer exists.

I'd advise anyone who is removing a printer to check in the Print Layout
applet and change it to the new printer before they remove the old (if they
can). That MAY make a difference, I don't know.

***If you don't know or can't find what to put there. Do a search for
PrinterName in One of Corel's versions [9 or X](an installed demo will work
for that) or an older version of PSP, and copy the Data String from there.***

Good luck and let me know if this works for you, Bert.

And thanks to all who replied with suggestions.

x0tix

Sep 10, 2006, 4:43:06 PM9/10/06

> Psst dont read this out loud,

Ok. I promise! :grin:

but it does a very good job of
> Interpolarising pixels. As I discovered when printing the low res image
> that I had saved for the web at 10 x 8 inch's instead of the 240ppi 10 x 8
> that I had meant to print

lol. Cool!

Well I solved the problem at last!

Digging around in the registry I found under Jasc\PSP8\ that the PrinterName
entries had either null entries or one with my old defunct printer named.
(see the long explanation in my second reply to Bert in this thread)

=) I'm so happy!