Pentium Pro vs. Pentium II

Joseph Maas

Oct 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/23/97

Anthony D. Coppedge wrote:

> Anyone out there run a comparison on a Pentium Pro 233 vs a Pentium II
> 233 ??
>
> Just curious to see the differences....
>
> -Anthony
> acop...@mindspring.com

Just get a 604e/180 Mac running OS-8 and it blows 'em both away.

Joseph Maas,
paragon3

Anthony D. Coppedge

Oct 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/23/97

Anyone out there run a comparison on a Pentium Pro 233 vs a Pentium II
233 ??

Just curious to see the differences....

-Anthony
acop...@mindspring.com

"The answers to the top five questions you've always wanted to ask me
are: Yes, No, Maybe, Sometimes and I Don't Know"

littleb...@!juno.com

Oct 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/23/97

go PRO; 25% faster....i think 25%. don't really matter cuz the pros
are faster (just not sure by how much, gimmie a day and i'll look it up
if ya want the specs).
--
"Son, no matter how far you travel, or how smart you get, always
remember this: Some day, somewhere, a guy is going to come to you and

"A good artist copies, a great artist steals."
- Picasso

"Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. Humans beings are
incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant. Together they are powerful
beyond imagination."
- Albert Einstein

NOTICE TO BULK EMAILER(S): Pursuant to US Code,
Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227, any and all unsolicited
commercial e-mail sent to this address is subject to a download and
archival fee in the amount of $500 US.

Chris Blanos

Oct 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/24/97

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997 19:17:55 -0500, "Anthony D. Coppedge"
<acop...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Anyone out there run a comparison on a Pentium Pro 233 vs a Pentium II
>233 ??
>
>Just curious to see the differences....

http://pluto.njcc.com/~chrisb/benchmark.html

- Chris

------------------------------
chr...@njcc.com
http://pluto.njcc.com/~chrisb/

Eric D. Wiesen

Oct 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/24/97

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997 23:25:09 -0400, littleboyomega@!juno.com wrote:

>Anthony D. Coppedge wrote:
>>
>> Anyone out there run a comparison on a Pentium Pro 233 vs a Pentium II
>> 233 ??
>>
>> Just curious to see the differences....
>>

>> -Anthony
>> acop...@mindspring.com
>>
>> "The answers to the top five questions you've always wanted to ask me
>> are: Yes, No, Maybe, Sometimes and I Don't Know"
>
>go PRO; 25% faster....i think 25%. don't really matter cuz the pros
>are faster (just not sure by how much, gimmie a day and i'll look it up
>if ya want the specs).

Cool quote. Wrong information. Pro is 25% faster than Pentium, not
PII, and then only when running fully 32bit Code.

1. There is no such thing as a PPro 233.

2. The PII can use a 440LX motherboard with AGP and SDRAM.

3. Get a PII.

Chris McKernan

Oct 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/24/97

Ha. The hardware will continue to be around as long as Bill G continues
to bail them out.

Joseph Maas wrote in article <344FF9...@p4b.com>...

>Anthony D. Coppedge wrote:
>>
>> Anyone out there run a comparison on a Pentium Pro 233 vs a Pentium II
>> 233 ??
>>
>> Just curious to see the differences....
>>
>> -Anthony
>> acop...@mindspring.com

littleb...@!juno.com

Oct 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/25/97

Eric D. Wiesen wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Oct 1997 23:25:09 -0400, littleboyomega@!juno.com wrote:
>
> >Anthony D. Coppedge wrote:
> >>
> >> Anyone out there run a comparison on a Pentium Pro 233 vs a Pentium II
> >> 233 ??
> >>
> >> Just curious to see the differences....
> >>
> >> -Anthony
> >> acop...@mindspring.com

wrong, wrong, wrong.
intels own test (iCOMP index ver2.0)

CHIP: Mhz :RATING
----+-----+---
PII : 300 :332
PII : 266 :303
PII : 233 :267
PRO : 200 :220
PMMX: 233 :203
PMMX: 200 :182
PMMX: 166 :160
P : 200 :142
P : 166 :127

more is BETTER!

littleb...@!juno.com

Oct 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/25/97
Whoah, I just (re)read my post and I must say that my attitude SUCKED.
Sorry! must have been channeling Joseph Maas last night.

BTW the figures are correct, and if he/she wants to go above 200 then
the PII is the ONLY option.

littleb...@!juno.com

Oct 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/25/97

Eric D. Wiesen wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Oct 1997 23:25:09 -0400, littleboyomega@!juno.com wrote:
>
> >Anthony D. Coppedge wrote:
> >>
> >> Anyone out there run a comparison on a Pentium Pro 233 vs a Pentium II
> >> 233 ??
> >>
> >> Just curious to see the differences....
> >>
> >> -Anthony
> >> acop...@mindspring.com
> >>
> >> "The answers to the top five questions you've always wanted to ask me
> >> are: Yes, No, Maybe, Sometimes and I Don't Know"
> >
> >go PRO; 25% faster....i think 25%. don't really matter cuz the pros
> >are faster (just not sure by how much, gimmie a day and i'll look it up
> >if ya want the specs).
>
> Cool quote. Wrong information. Pro is 25% faster than Pentium, not
> PII, and then only when running fully 32bit Code.

FALSE!

> 1. There is no such thing as a PPro 233.

TRUE!

> 2. The PII can use a 440LX motherboard with AGP and SDRAM.

TRUE!

> 3. Get a PII.
If he/she is going to get a 200mhz chip, then get the pro if going
faster it's not an issue cuz there aren't pros w/ a clock speed above
200.

!!little...@!!juno.com

Oct 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/28/97

sledge wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Oct 1997 16:29:07 -0400, littleboyomega@!juno.com wrote:
>
> >> CHIP: Mhz :RATING
> >> ----+-----+---
> >> PII : 300 :332
> >> PII : 266 :303
> >> PII : 233 :267
> >> PRO : 200 :220
>
> >Whoah, I just (re)read my post and I must say that my attitude SUCKED.
> >Sorry! must have been channeling Joseph Maas last night.
> >
> >BTW the figures are correct, and if he/she wants to go above 200 then
> >the PII is the ONLY option.
>
> Dont forget the large amount of MMX functions in those tests (20%),
> and dont forget than INTEL made those benchmarks.. isnt it funny how a
> new version comes out right after they release a new chip.. hmm.
>
> Clock for Clock, the PPRO is faster. Oc a ppro to 233 and u have
> P2/266+ performance. Dont go by benchmarks. Go by real world speed.
>
> Then use the $300 u save to get some more memory - u never have enough
> of that stuff.

agree whole heartedly

sledge

Oct 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/29/97