Gnuplot Generates Display Error When Generating PNG

Andy

Jul 20, 2007, 2:53:21 PM7/20/07
Here is my script (Gnuplot4.2, Debian Sarge):

set terminal png nocrop enhanced size 420,320
set output "graph.png"
set title "Measurements"
set view map
rgb(r,g,b) = int(r)*65536 + int(g)*256 + int(b)
splot "data" using 1:2:(0):3:(rgb($1,$2,0)) with points pt 7 ps
variable lc rgb variable

Here is some sample data:

10 20 3
4 6 7

When I run this on my headless server I get the following error and no
graph is generated:

gnuplot: unable to open display ''
gnuplot: X11 aborted.

So I did:

export DISPLAY = 0:0

Now gnuplot will generate the graph, but about 5 seconds later it
prints to stdout:

gnuplot: unable to open display '0:0'
gnuplot: X11 aborted.

How can I tell gnuplot that I don't want to use the display and just
generate a PNG file?

thanks, Andy

Ethan Merritt

Jul 20, 2007, 3:24:20 PM7/20/07
In article <1184957601.5...@e16g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,

Andy <aja...@gmail.com> wrote:

>When I run this on my headless server I get the following error and no
>graph is generated:
>
>gnuplot: unable to open display ''
>gnuplot: X11 aborted.

Heh. Another bug fix that will be in the incremental 4.2.1
The bug is that on linux systems the default terminal is X11,
regardless of whether you actually have x11 installed.

To fix it permanently, set an environmental variable on this
machine to change the default terminal to something else.
For example:

tcsh:
setenv GNUTERM dumb
bash:
export GNUTERM=dumb

--
Ethan A Merritt

Andy

Jul 20, 2007, 3:44:45 PM7/20/07
On Jul 20, 12:24 pm, merr...@u.washington.edu (Ethan Merritt) wrote:

> To fix it permanently, set an environmental variable on this
> machine to change the default terminal to something else.
> For example:
>
> tcsh:
> setenv GNUTERM dumb
> bash:
> export GNUTERM=dumb

Worked like a charm! Once again, may thanks for your FAST help!

Andy

priyanshi singhal

Jul 26, 2022, 3:51:32 PM7/26/22
Yes it worked ! Thanks.