Keeping brush size fixed

Charlie Roberts

Jan 1, 2022, 8:06:31 PM1/1/22

Is there a way keeping the size of the brush fixed as
you move between brushes? In my set up of GIMP 2.10
any change results in a different size, depending on
which brush to choose to go to.

This is very irritating when, say, moving between
brusheds of different hardness.

Thanks.

lisa

Jan 2, 2022, 6:41:21 AM1/2/22
On Sat, 01 Jan 2022 20:06:27 -0500, Charlie Roberts
<crob...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Is there a way keeping the size of the brush fixed as
>you move between brushes? In my set up of GIMP 2.10
>any change results in a different size, depending on
>which brush to choose to go to.

if I right click on the paintbrush group ( P N A K Y )
all brushes are linked to the brush defaults.
If the paintbrush is set to 60, changing from brush also results in 60
for the other brushes in that group.

>This is very irritating when, say, moving between
>brusheds of different hardness.

I prefer that. I wish I could set my airbrush to very different values
as my paintbrush and switching between them didn't effect the brush
settings . I think I have to ungroup the brushes to realize that ( the
way it was in earlier Gimp versions ). Your problem is my solution :D
--

"The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of it's existence." Nikola Tesla

Charlie Roberts

Jan 3, 2022, 1:21:19 PM1/3/22
On Sun, 02 Jan 2022 12:41:19 +0100, lisa <not.i...@invalid.xor>
wrote:

Thanks for your prompt reply.

>if I right click on the paintbrush group ( P N A K Y )

What do P N A K Y stand for? And, what does one
right click?

>all brushes are linked to the brush defaults.
>If the paintbrush is set to 60, changing from brush also results in 60
>for the other brushes in that group.

>I prefer that. I wish I could set my airbrush to very different values
>as my paintbrush and switching between them didn't effect the brush
>settings . I think I have to ungroup the brushes to realize that ( the
>way it was in earlier Gimp versions ). Your problem is my solution :D

The way the world is. I find that when doing minor painting, I like
to vary the hardness to soften the edges by switching to a softer
brush. As the level of detail is smaller, it would be nice if the
brush at least stayed the same size instead of blowing up to 51
again.

Can you point me towards any material on how one may set the
defaults and see what the "groups' are?

thanks
cr

lisa

Jan 4, 2022, 3:58:26 PM1/4/22

>>if I right click on the paintbrush group ( P N A K Y )
>
>What do P N A K Y stand for? And, what does one
>right click?

(P)paintbrush (N)pencil (A)airbrush (K) ink
(Y) my paintbrsh

right clcik with your mouse on the groups brush icon and you can
change your brush in this brush group typing another character
or easier
put the mouse pointer on it and wait until the submenu appears and
type a character to change your brush

https://logosbynick.com/show-all-tools-in-gimp/

https://parkerphotographic.com/how-to-show-all-tools-in-gimp/
--

Even miracles take a little time

lisa

Jan 4, 2022, 4:14:24 PM1/4/22

>>if I right click on the paintbrush group ( P N A K Y )
>
>What do P N A K Y stand for? And, what does one
>right click?

(P)paintbrush (N)pencil (A)airbrush (K) ink
(Y) my paintbrsh

right clcik with your mouse on the groups brush icon and you can
change your brush in this brush group typing another character
or easier
put the mouse pointer on it and wait until the submenu appears and
type a character to change your brush

Can't upload a picture to this server to show it to you
If nothing shows up with your mouse pointer on a brush icon?
Maybe you use an older version of Gimp as I do (latest)