Não é mais possível fazer postagens ou usar assinaturas novas da Usenet nos Grupos do Google. O conteúdo histórico continua disponível.

"Smoothing" edge of lasso tool selection

14 visualizações
Pular para a primeira mensagem não lida

Charlie Roberts

não lida,
14 de ago. de 2020, 13:55:2514/08/2020
para

Just wondering if GIMP 2.10 has the facility to snooth out
the boundary of a selection made by the lasso tool.

I usually do not have a problem, but when trying to
select an object that the brain knows is curved, the
straight segments, even if they are short, look odd.
Furniture is a good example when there is a lot of
carving or otherwise curved edges.

I am wodering if there is a way running a spline fit,
or something like that to make the curves "smoother"
(or, to put it differently, have fewer discontinuities
in the fiirst deravative of the curve).

TIA.

Arthur T.

não lida,
14 de ago. de 2020, 18:51:4414/08/2020
para
In Message-ID:<6mjdjfd5fq34r8gr2...@4ax.com>,
Charlie Roberts <crob...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Just wondering if GIMP 2.10 has the facility to snooth out
>the boundary of a selection made by the lasso tool.

Have you tried the Foreground Select Tool or the Scissors Tool
(assuming they're still there in 2.10, which I'm not using).

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Charlie Roberts

não lida,
15 de ago. de 2020, 13:34:1915/08/2020
para
On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 18:51:17 -0400, Arthur T. <art...@munged.invalid>
wrote:

>In Message-ID:<6mjdjfd5fq34r8gr2...@4ax.com>,
>Charlie Roberts <crob...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Just wondering if GIMP 2.10 has the facility to snooth out
>>the boundary of a selection made by the lasso tool.
>
>Have you tried the Foreground Select Tool or the Scissors Tool
>(assuming they're still there in 2.10, which I'm not using).

No, I have not. I will give them a try.

The problem is with generic curves like in furniture (chair handles,
legs, etc.). For wheels (and other circular objects) I can get very
good results using the cirlce/ellipse selection toos, which solves
the problem for tires, wheels, etc.

Thanks for the hint.

RR

não lida,
29 de ago. de 2020, 18:02:0729/08/2020
para
On 8/14/2020 1:55 PM, Charlie Roberts wrote:

> Just wondering if GIMP 2.10 has the facility to snooth out
> the boundary of a selection made by the lasso tool.
>
> I usually do not have a problem, but when trying to
> select an object that the brain knows is curved, the
> straight segments, even if they are short, look odd.
> Furniture is a good example when there is a lot of
> carving or otherwise curved edges.
>
> I am wodering if there is a way running a spline fit,
> or something like that to make the curves "smoother"
> (or, to put it differently, have fewer discontinuities
> in the fiirst deravative of the curve).

I can think of two things you can try.

(1) Grow the selection by X pixels, then shrink it by the same amount.
This tends to make the selection perimeter smoother. Experiment with
different values of X to get the result that works best for you.

(2) As an alternative, use the paths tool to create the selection
instead of the lasso tool. The tool gives you a lot of control, but it
takes a little more work to use. If you're not familiar with it already,
you might want to read the documentation and spend a little time
practicing using it.

Charlie Roberts

não lida,
1 de set. de 2020, 12:20:0901/09/2020
para
Thank you very much for both suggestions. I would never of
taught of the 'grow-and-shrink' technique!

I am a kind of familiar with the Path Tool. I mainly use it via
the text-to-path for geting some special effects for text.
But, I will explore the other aspects.
0 nova mensagem