Change lines in PNG sketch from black to blue

walterbyrd

Sep 12, 2009, 1:57:52 PM9/12/09
I have a very simple black-on-white sketch. Just lines, no shades, or
shadows. I just want to change the black lines to blues.

Obviously, I am not especially good at this.

Ricky Rudolph

Sep 12, 2009, 2:34:43 PM9/12/09
walterbyrd wrote:
> I have a very simple black-on-white sketch. Just lines, no shades, or
> shadows. I just want to change the black lines to blues.

A simple way to do that is to turn the blue value of all pixels to the
max. Here are the steps:

1. From the "Colors" menu, select "Levels...".
2. From the "Channel" dropdown list on the dialog window, choose "Blue".
3. Under "Output Levels", set the values of the two spinbuttons to 255.
(This will cause the blue value of all pixels to be re-mapped to 255,
regardless of their original values.)

Ofnuts

Sep 12, 2009, 3:27:24 PM9/12/09

1) Select the "select by color" tool
2) Click on any black line, this should select all blak lines in the drawing
3) Set the foreground color to the required blue
4) Select the "bucket fill" tool
5) Insure the "Foreground color fill" button is checked, and the "Fill
whole selection is checked"
6) Click on anywhere in the selection (on the black lines)

Slighlty different method:
1) Set the foreground color to the required blue
2) Select the "bucket fill" tool
3) Insure the "fill similar colors" button is checked
4) If the lines are plain black, set the treshold slider to the minimum
5) Click on each non-contiguous line in turn.

--
Bertrand

walterbyrd

Sep 12, 2009, 7:18:21 PM9/12/09
On Sep 12, 12:34 pm, Ricky Rudolph <a...@b.c> wrote:
> walterbyrdwrote:

> > I have a very simple black-on-white sketch. Just lines, no shades, or
> > shadows. I just want to change the black lines to blues.
>
> A simple way to do that is to turn the blue value of all pixels to the
> max. Here are the steps:
>
> 1. From the "Colors" menu, select "Levels...".
> 2. From the "Channel" dropdown list on the dialog window, choose "Blue".

The choices are greyed out. Maybe the problem is that this a PNG
image? Should I change it to a JPG, or something?

walterbyrd

Sep 12, 2009, 7:33:12 PM9/12/09
On Sep 12, 1:27 pm, Ofnuts <o.f.n.u....@la.poste.net> wrote:
> walterbyrdwrote:

> > I have a very simple black-on-white sketch. Just lines, no shades, or
> > shadows. I just want to change the black lines to blues.
>
> > Obviously, I am not especially good at this.
>
> 1) Select the "select by color" tool
> 2) Click on any black line, this should select all blak lines in the drawing
> 3) Set the foreground color to the required blue

You lost me on step 3. Do I use the foreground select tool?

Ricky Rudolph

Sep 12, 2009, 8:45:59 PM9/12/09
walterbyrd wrote:
> On Sep 12, 12:34 pm, Ricky Rudolph <a...@b.c> wrote:
>> walterbyrdwrote:
>> > I have a very simple black-on-white sketch. Just lines, no shades, or
>> > shadows. I just want to change the black lines to blues.
>>
>> A simple way to do that is to turn the blue value of all pixels to the
>> max. Here are the steps:
>>
>> 1. From the "Colors" menu, select "Levels...".
>> 2. From the "Channel" dropdown list on the dialog window, choose "Blue".
>
> The choices are greyed out. Maybe the problem is that this a PNG
> image? Should I change it to a JPG, or something?

Sounds like your image is a grayscale image. Try changing it to a color
image first. (From the "Image" menu, select "Mode", then "RGB").

Ofnuts

Sep 13, 2009, 1:56:27 AM9/13/09
walterbyrd wrote:
> On Sep 12, 1:27 pm, Ofnuts <o.f.n.u....@la.poste.net> wrote:
>> walterbyrdwrote:
>>> I have a very simple black-on-white sketch. Just lines, no shades, or
>>> shadows. I just want to change the black lines to blues.
>>> Obviously, I am not especially good at this.
>> 1) Select the "select by color" tool
>> 2) Click on any black line, this should select all blak lines in the drawing
>> 3) Set the foreground color to the required blue
>
> You lost me on step 3. Do I use the foreground select tool?

No, this not a "tool", this is the paint color selection (the two
overlapping rectangles below the tool palette), where you will choose
the color to use to paint the lines in the next steps).

--
Bertrand

walterbyrd

Sep 13, 2009, 6:25:38 PM9/13/09
On Sep 12, 6:45 pm, Ricky Rudolph <a...@b.c> wrote:

> Sounds like your image is a grayscale image. Try changing it to a color
> image first. (From the "Image" menu, select "Mode", then "RGB").

That did it thanks.

walterbyrd

Sep 13, 2009, 6:27:01 PM9/13/09
On Sep 12, 11:56 pm, Ofnuts <o.f.n.u....@la.poste.net> wrote:

> No, this not a "tool", this is the paint color selection (the two
> overlapping rectangles below the tool palette), where you will choose
> the color to use to paint the lines in the next steps).

I tried that, but it didn't seem to work. Maybe the problem was that
the image was set to greyscale, instead of RGB?

Ofnuts

Sep 14, 2009, 4:15:44 AM9/14/09

Yes.

--