Gimp replacement for Photoshop Sponge Tool

measekite

May 30, 2008, 3:14:39 AM5/30/08
Photoshop has a sponge tool. Does anyone know if Gimp has a similar
tool or some work around that does the same thing?
Message has been deleted

Ricky Rudolph

May 30, 2008, 11:52:27 AM5/30/08
Arthur T. wrote:
> In Message-ID:<zPN%j.2882$jI5....@flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com>,

> measekite <inkys...@oem.com> wrote:
>
>>Photoshop has a sponge tool. Does anyone know if Gimp has a similar
>>tool or some work around that does the same thing?
>
> If you want to know if GIMP can do something, DESCRIBE that
> something.

The sponge tool in Photoshop works like the dodge/burn tool in GIMP,
except that it increases or decreases the color saturation (as opposed
to the lightness) of the area under the brush.

measekite

May 30, 2008, 12:46:56 PM5/30/08

Arthur T. wrote:
> In Message-ID:<zPN%j.2882$jI5....@flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com>,
> measekite <inkys...@oem.com> wrote:
>

>> Photoshop has a sponge tool. Does anyone know if Gimp has a similar
>> tool or some work around that does the same thing?
>>

> Every now and then, someone has to say this. I guess it's my
> turn.
>
> This is a GIMP group. Some GIMP users have never used
> Photoshop.
Others have as per Ricky Rudolph's post but I can see that many are not
familiar with PS tools and I should have briefly described it.
> Telling us a tool's Photoshop name tells us nothing.

measekite

May 30, 2008, 12:49:19 PM5/30/08

That is what I wanted to do; increase the color saturation so to speak.
The photo was cherries hanging from a cherry tree. The color of the
cherries was a medium red and I wanted them to be more of a deeper candy
red. I could not find a Gimp tool to do this and do not feel like
rebooting my machine to Windows.

Michael Soibelman

May 30, 2008, 12:56:32 PM5/30/08
measekite wrote:

If that's what you want to do then in the hue-saturation dialog pick the red
channel by clicking in the circle next to red and then saturate that color
by sliding the saturation bar to the right until you get the desired
saturation.

Floyd L. Davidson

May 30, 2008, 2:59:00 PM5/30/08

With GIMP decreasing saturation can be done by picking
the paint brush tool and setting the mode to saturation.
I couldn't offhand think of a way to have a simple tool
increase saturation; it can easily be done using layers
though.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) fl...@apaflo.com

Floyd L. Davidson

May 30, 2008, 3:23:41 PM5/30/08
Michael Soibelman <in-...@ether.net> wrote:

>measekite wrote:
>> The photo was cherries hanging from a cherry tree. The color of the
>> cherries was a medium red and I wanted them to be more of a deeper candy
>> red. I could not find a Gimp tool to do this and do not feel like
>> rebooting my machine to Windows.
>
>If that's what you want to do then in the hue-saturation dialog pick the red
>channel by clicking in the circle next to red and then saturate that color
>by sliding the saturation bar to the right until you get the desired
>saturation.

And if there are other red objects in the image that you
do not want changed, just duplicate the layer, make the
changes to one layer only, and then use which ever
method suits your needs to selectively use the cherries
from the layer with increased saturation.

One way to do that would be to increase saturation in
the bottom layer, have the top layer in "normal" mode at
100% opacity, and use the erase tool to make the area of
the cherries transparent in the top layer. The less
saturated top layer would be visible for everything
except the cherries, and the more saturated bottom
layer would be visible for the cherries.

Troy Piggins

May 30, 2008, 3:25:35 PM5/30/08

As others have hinted, I would copy the layer, increase the
saturation or whatever of the whole new layer, add a layer mask
with full transparency, then using whatever brush you want bring
out the cherries by going over them with white (opacity) in the
layer mask. Hope that makes sense.

--
Troy Piggins | http://piggo.com/~troy _ __ (_) __ _ __ _ ___

Tomás Nobre