Integrating RawTherapee with Gimp

Jeffery Small

May 1, 2014, 1:16:02 AM5/1/14

I am on a Ubuntu 13.10 system with Gimp 2.8.6 and Ufraw 0.19.2.

I have RawTherapee 4.0.11 installed and have configured it to launch Gimp
when exporting files. Is there some way within Gimp to instruct it to use
RawTherapee instead of Ufraw when opening raw image files within Gimp? I
haven't found a clear answer in the manual or through a Google search.

Thanks.

John K. Herreshoff

May 1, 2014, 9:24:53 AM5/1/14
I know nothing about RawTherapee, and whether or not it has a plugin for
gimp. I know that gimp uses ufraw-gimp to open *.nef files, and I suspect
other 'RAW' formats.

So what I would try would be to move the plugin ufraw-gimp to somewhere
where that gimp will not locate it, such as your home directory, and then
attempt to open your RAW file with gimp. If there is a plugin for
RawTherapee, it should open your RAW file and eventually export it to gimp
when you are done in RawTherapee.

If this turns out to be a cluster-f@ck, and you cannot locate a gimp plugin
for RawTherapee, simply move the hidden ufraw-gimp back to where you found
it.

I'd look for ufraw-gimp with 'locate:' 'locate ufraw-gimp' should be
revealing.

HTH & Good Luck.

John.

--
Using the Cubic at home

Jeffery Small

May 1, 2014, 2:38:33 PM5/1/14
Thanks for the suggestion John. It looks like Ufraw is the only plugin
packaged in the Ubuntu package archive. Eliminating it deactivates Gimp's
ability to process raw files. I'm checking with the RawTherapee team to
see if anyone has a suitable plugin available and am awaiting a response.

Regards,
--
Jeff