Typing into a jpg

Dieter Britz

Feb 21, 2021, 9:42:49 AM2/21/21
I want to type some text (a number) into a jpg using GImp.
How do I do that?

--
Dieter Britz

Frank L. Thiel

Feb 21, 2021, 11:00:53 AM2/21/21
On 21-Feb-21 09:42, Dieter Britz wrote:
> I want to type some text (a number) into a jpg using GImp.
> How do I do that?

Open the JPG in GIMP and then use the Text tool to insert text in a font
and size of your choice.

William Unruh

Feb 21, 2021, 2:23:27 PM2/21/21
And then save it as a jpg. But of course, the process of converting the
jpg to gimp, and then the gimp back to jpg will lose information (jpg is
a lossy format) so the result will be (maybe only slightly) worse than
the original, also depending on the quality you save it as.
Whether you can notice the degradation is up to you.

Dieter Britz

Feb 22, 2021, 6:36:34 AM2/22/21
OK, thanks. Another dumb question. How do I bring up that
Text tool? What I see is a single screen with the picture,
and a menu bar at the top. There used to be an extensive side
bar with stuff, but that's gone after an update. I suppose there
is a toggle for it, or something. What do I do?

--
Dieter Britz

Frank L. Thiel

Feb 22, 2021, 9:51:07 AM2/22/21
The easiest way is to click on Tools in the menu bar which will open a
drop-down menu including the Text tool. Clicking on that (an "A" icon)
will open its options.

Dieter Britz

Feb 22, 2021, 10:40:34 AM2/22/21
Thanks again. When I do that and click on where I want the text, I get
a small window that lets me change the font and size etc, but doesn't
open one into which I can type. ??

--
Dieter Britz

Frank L. Thiel

Feb 22, 2021, 11:41:34 AM2/22/21
You can drag the text cursor to make a box of the size and at the
location you want. Text can be typed into that box using the settings
in that small window you refer to.

To your earlier point about sidebars, click on Windows in the menu bar
and make sure Hide Docks is unchecked.

Charlie Roberts

Feb 28, 2021, 11:27:47 AM2/28/21
There is such a thing called Google ... or Edge ... or Yahoo that
helps in these matters. But, to make it easier, I give you the
answer

https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tool-text.html

It does get your job done faster if you just find the
documentation.

William Unruh

Feb 28, 2021, 4:40:10 PM2/28/21
If you look later in the thread, you will discover that the problem was
that the font size was so small that he could not see it when he typed.
Imagine you have an image of 4000x4000 pixels, and your font is 10pt on
and the image is displayed in a 640x400 window. That means that the
typing produces characters about 1.5 screen pixels high.
You cannot see that unless you really really know what you are
looking for. It seems that entering text is simply not working. If you
increase the font size to 100 or 400pt, then you can see it. So, he had
it, but did not realise that he had it. When he changed the font size,
suddenly everything worked.

Charlie Roberts

Mar 1, 2021, 12:26:02 PM3/1/21
Ah! I did not follow the whole thread -- thanks.

Have seen questions before -- like when tying black text on black