Aligning pictures

Arthur T.

Dec 16, 2020, 11:17:08 PM12/16/20
I took several pictures as a manual time-lapse and I'd like to put
them together as an animated GIF. But I didn't keep the camera on a
tripod, so the pictures are all a bit misaligned, probably both
slightly angled, and slightly different camera location. At least I
always have the same level of zoom (I think).

Is there a reasonably easy way to align them? Or do I have to do
something like open as layers and play with MOVE, ROTATE, SKEW,
SHEAR, etc. until they match up pretty well?

In addition to GIMP, I have gifsicle & Image Magick handy. I'm open
to installing other (free) software if it'll make my life easier.

I considered using STPHMKRE, even though it's not what it's designed
for. But that works on only two at a time and would make changes to
both, so it would be a horrible iterative process with JPEG
degradation with each step.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com