THE PEG-BOARD -- January 1995

MPSC Local 839 IATSE

Jan 25, 1995, 2:20:45 PM1/25/95
THE PEG-BOARD -- Information Superhighway Edition -- January 1995

This is a monthly posting of excerpts from THE PEG-BOARD, the newsletter
of the Motion Picture Screen Cartoonists and Affiliated Optical
Electronic and Graphic Arts, Local 839 IATSE. THE PEG-BOARD is also
published in printed format.

This file is available by anonymous ftp, along with a number of other
files about Local 839. The address is:

ftp.netcom.com:/pub/mp/mpsc839

Local 839 IATSE is the largest local union of motion picture graphic
artists in the world. We have over 1,600 active members employed in
animation and CGI in Southern California.

In this month's issue:

* Health plan on the mend
* From the Business Representative, by Steve Hulett
* From the President, by Tom Sito
* Correspondence
* Dreams may come true
* Short takes command
* Animation in the news
* Whither the 401(k)?
* Q & A
* At the water cooler
* Hollywood Hands-On seminar
* Classifieds
* In memoriam

HEALTH PLAN ON THE MEND
$28 mil deficit becomes $22 mil surplus

The headline of the September 1992 Peg-Board carried the chilling news
that "Our health plan is in trouble". At that time, the plan's reserves
had dropped so low that we were in danger of losing the "bank of hours"
provisions by which members are allowed to extend their benefits during
long layoffs.

The ensuing contract negotiations between the IATSE and AMPTP producers'
association addressed the plan's financial problems. Cuts were made in
areas such as psychiatric and chiropractic care, and incentives were
added to encourage participants to use HMOs. Residual payments were
diverted from the retiree health plan, which remains comfortably in the
black.

A year ago, the plan was $7.1 million in the red, a 75% improvement over
conditions in '92. A recent Daily Variety article reported that the Plan
is now $22 million in the black -- its first surplus in years.

This is especially good news in light of the recent elections, which
have doomed any chance of national health care for the foreseeable
future. It's especially incumbent on us not to rest on our laurels. In
the next negotiations, the employers must not be allowed to roll back
contributions until and unless we regain the benefits surrendered in the
1993-94 talks. We've earned it -- we deserve to get it back.

FROM THE BUSINESS REPRESENTATIVE
The animation landscape: early 1995

As I write, the Motion Picture Screen Cartoonists stand on the cusp of
the one of the great periods of their forty-three-year history.
Employment is at an all-time high, total membership moves toward new
records, and we are moving to embrace the new technologies in computer-
land.

I have done more negotiating in the last year than in the first four
years of my tenure combined. 1993 and 1994 were tough in the negotiating
sphere. Employers wanted major rollbacks in wages and overtime, but
finally backed off in the face of a united membership. In the past six
months, Universal/MCA came knocking twice with the same contract
demands: 45% wage cuts for digital ink and paint and elimination of
overtime for all supervisory personnel. At a time when almost every
animation employee who can hold a pencil or paintbrush is employed at
well above scale, we respectfully declined their modest requests.

And now here it is 1995 already, and the change in the animation
landscape is changing again:

Rich Animation, which employed 180 MPSC members just eight months ago,
has now laid off most of its staff. Warner Bros. Feature Animation,
after a hiring frenzy through the Spring, Summer and Fall, has
temporarily gone into hibernation while the Warner higher-ups decide
which feature project to greenlight (that should end soon). Disney
Feature Animation, freshly housed in its new animation building, races
to meet its June release deadline for Pocohontas, all the while hiring
new staffers for releases that come after. On the movie horizon, the
triumvirate of Spielberg, Katzenberg and Geffen loom like thunderheads
(and we expect to be negotiating with them shortly.)

In Tee Vee Land, Hanna-Barbera is concentrating on its shorts shows,
some of which it hopes to spin off into half-hour series. Disney TV is
busy working on direct-to-video projects for Aladdin and Lion King, busy
producing half-hours of Aladdin, Duck Daze, The Shnookums and Meat
Funny Cartoon Show, and Timon and Pumbaa. At Graz Entertainment, work
continues on X-Men, Tick, and Skeleton Warriors; Warners TV is deep into
work on Sylvester and Tweety, Animaniacs, and Freakazoids. Warners
Classics is finishing up their short Carrotblanca and continuing with
commercials. Hyperion has completed new orders of Itsy Bitsy Spider,
Happily Ever After, and Life with Louie. In the next couple of months
they will begin work on two new Brave Little Toaster direct-to-video
sequels. Universal Cartoon StudioS is finishing post-production on its
second Land Before Time direct-to-video release.

That, in a nutshell, is an overview of what's going on today in L.A.
animation. The Screen Cartoonists have contracts with every active
theatrical animation producer in Los Angeles. Unfortunately, that's not
the case in television. While contract studios Disney, Warners, Graz
Entertainment, Hyperion, Universal and Hanna-Barbera are active, major
producers of television product, so also are Film Roman, DIC, Klasky-
Csupo and Games, Inc., none of which enjoys contractual relationships
with the Screen Cartoonists. The fact that they are out there driving
down wages (their occasional protests to the contrary), should concern
every artist and technician who intends making a long-term career in
animation. It's considerably easier to support a family on a thousand to
thirteen hundred a week rather than six or eight hundred.

And what about computers? The Screen Cartoonists continue to represent
more CGI artists than any other union in town; within a decade most of
our members will be working in front of a computer screen. Over the past
six months, we have received at least an inquiry a week from CDROM
companies wanting to use the service of feature-quality animators. There
is no reason that artists working in those areas should not be working
under a contract that gives them quality pension and health benefits,
that enhances their working conditions.

To sum up, 1995 looks like a banner year. Just how big the unfurling
flag will be, and how briskly it will snap in the wind, depends on each
one of us.

-- Steve Hulett

FROM THE PRESIDENT
Complete self-interest

December is the month of warmth, parties, waxing poetic and thinking of
others.

January is the month of cold, tax planning, plain talk and thinking of
yourself.

Some of us don't need this time of year to grow self-absorbed, let's
face it, most of us are out for ourselves. All those words about union
unity and solidarity is just so much gas, what's in it for Me? How does
it solve My problems? Me! Moi! Numero Uno!

Well boys and girls, never mind history lessons, you saw in 1994 how you
benefited from hanging together and hanging tough. All attempts to cut
your overtime pay and wages were shot down, the stingiest companies were
made to cough up the retroactive pay they owed you, you are about to
have the chance to enroll in a multi-employer 401(k) plan that only a
few union locals enjoy, and the big bosses are beginning to think the
unthinkable, residuals. Your medical plan has stayed strong while some
employers have cut their executive plans to no longer cover families or
dependents.

That's what you got.

However, in other ways we're still blowing it. Example: When we recently
negotiated with a large employer, their first negotiator (who's since
been replaced) tried as an opening gambit the same tired requests for
cutting overtime for top animators and supervisors and the salaries of
digital ink & paint. I educated him about our united muscle and asked
for profit sharing, employer matching 401(k) participation and a
structured bonus system. Part of my argument was: "Try and do it
without us! Call Fox in Phoenix and ask how many pros they're getting.
Nobody! They can't get anyone good without signing a contract with us!"

The next day I heard that one or two H-B artists were going to Phoenix.
Luckily it's only one or two, but you see the psychological effect.
Those artists must figure "It's good money, what the heck?" But it's a
gut punch to any attempts to get you those aforementioned goodies I
demanded. And it brings you one step closer to a smaller paycheck if
you're a painter and no overtime if you're an animator or department
head.

You think the big company execs aren't sharing info about you? Go to the
corner of Ventura and Firmament in Encino and look at the big building
with the Scarlet O'Hara and Little Mermaid mosaics all over it. That's
the AMPTP headquarters, the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television
Producers, the employer's clubhouse.

Is it clairvoyance that almost every large company last year had the
identical demands for overtime rollbacks? Look at that building -- then
try and go it alone against all of them united.

Look for these demands to resurface in the future. As the big companies
swallow up computer software houses, they've whetted their appetite on
the na•vete of young computer artists' acceptance of long hours for no
pay, a situation considered sacrilege in Hollywood for forty years.
They can't be faulted, they're doing what they think is right for them.

There's a lot of small animation houses who depend on freelance from
you. Some slipped out of the contract after the '82 debacle, others are
run by old working friends.

Hulett and I can't go break their knuckles for you, you gotta do what's
right for you and ask them to sign a union contract. Last year when just
one top artist at Cornell-Abood complained he wasn't getting his
benefits, they weakened and asked to talk about a deal. Unfortunately
when they realized they could still get you and some Canadians to
freelance they changed their minds. It's in their self-interest. To hell
with your kids' glasses or your pension, here's a few bucks.

If you're in a non-union house, what'll it kill you to sign a rep card?
They're anonymous, it's against federal law to fire you. Will Bluth and
Goldman move back to Dublin and dismantle an investment of millions
because you signed a card? In 1994 all the British artists of
Amblimation signed a petition which the government considers a request
for union representation. They're not folding up and moving to Cambodia
or canceling the work visas, they're still coming here.

So in 1995 lets get good and selfish and ask not only for money but for
our union benefits as well. Nothing personal. Just pure self-interest.

As Leopold I, the "Old Dessauer", said before the Battle of Kesselsdorf
in 1745:

Oh God, let me not be disgraced in my old days. Or if thou wilt not help
me, do not help these scoundrels; but leave us to try it ourselves.

-- Tom Sito

CORRESPONDENCE

Dear Steve:

{Re the December Peg-Board column,} I was surprised to read that you
voted Democrat. I thought you and the President were Communists.

I'm so tired of opening the Peg-Board and reading the spewing rhetoric.
Can't you just focus on the issues and the goals that you were elected
to further and stop subjecting the rest of us to your political beliefs?

Don't you see the hypocrisy? You complain that "We'll be enlightened by
lectures on public morality from Newt Gingrich," while you yourself are
lecturing on your own version of public morality.

Steve, if you would just spend the time and effort trying to improve the
union stead of raving away, we'd all be better off.

Merry Christmas,

-- Cliff MacGillivray

*****

Dear Cliff:

Thanks for your Christmas greeting/letter of complaint. Joe Stalin
didn't appear on my ballot, so I guess I was forced to vote Democrat.

You could be right about subjecting unsuspecting members to my political
beliefs. Not that most people seem to care. So far one person has
congratulated me, and now you've written to tell me to get off it
already. That's what? Two members out of 1,800.

Since it's the second political column I've written in five years -- the
first being an attack on Hollywood liberals -- I don't think I'm being
excessive. Now, you might not like the union rah-rah stuff which usually
gets printed ... but the Peg-Board is (supposedly) a union publication.
Pro-labor cant goes with the territory.

Nevertheless, I will work hard to improve the union, and spend less time
raving away. And I apologize for any offense given. Hope to see you, one
day, at a union meeting.

Happy New Year,

-- Steven Hulett, USN Retired

DREAMS (OF RESIDUALS!) MAY COME TRUE

The long-anticipated announcement has been made that the "Dream Team" of
Steven Spielberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg and David Geffen will call their
new operation DreamWorks. An article in the January 12 Hollywood
Reporter carried the enticing news that the new company is offering
profit participation to new employees. The article continues: "Allowing
profit participation by animators is part of an emerging industry trend,
and the dream team plan could change the salary structure of
animators".

We're glad to report that we're about to start negotiations with
DreamWorks, and we have every anticipation that they will become a part
of our family of employers. Until the company sets up its own
operations, we understand that resumes are being accepted at
Amblimation, 100 Universal City Plaza, Bungalow 477, Universal City, CA
91608; (818) 777-1000.

SHORT TAKES COMMAND

Thomas C. Short was appointed IATSE President on December 15. He had
been the IA's General Secretary/Treasurer, and had served several years
as an International Vice-President.

We've been impressed with Tom's achievements to date as an IA official;
we wish him luck and look forward to working with him in the future.
(See IN MEMORIAM below.)

ANIMATION IN THE NEWS

Hanna-Barbera has regained syndication rights to The Flintstones after
fourteen years. The company plans to resyndicate the entire package,
which will coincide with the thirty-fifth anniversary of The Flintstones
original network premiere.

Television animation will most likely be undergoing major restructuring
as the Warner Bros. Network and the United Paramount Network come on
line. Disney, Warners, Universal and other suppliers look toward a
tighter, more competitive market by 1997, when Paramount and Warners
will have their networks up and running. Mort Marcus, the head of Buena
Vista Television, believes that ratings might become too fragmented, but
that there is no clear picture yet as to how the marketplace will
finally look.

Disney is planning to raise as much as $500 million from outside
investors to finance their upcoming films. This outside financing would
be invested in live-action product only. Animated features would be
excluded. The trades reported in early January that The Lion King
became the second highest grossing picture in film history. Who wants to
share that boodle with outside investors?

Disney's next theatrical feature, The Goofy Movie, is scheduled for an
April 7 release date. Much of the project was completed at Disney's
Paris facility, with an assist from Burbank ...

WHITHER THE 401(K)?

DISNEY: As the Peg-Board goes to press we can report that Disney has
approved the pertinent documents. Disney employees will receive
information in the mail between now and the start of enrollments on
February 6. Starting on that date, enrollment meetings will be
scheduled on the studio premises.

HANNA-BARBERA/TURNER: It looks like the 401(k) is a virtual lock at H-B.
Lawyers are reviewing documents, and we have every expectation that the
plan will be available in the immediate future.

Warner BROs. continues to be the only union shop that has flatly refused
to consider a 401(k) plan. The majority of Warners employees have signed
petitions asking management to take the union's proposals seriously; to
date there has been no reply.

Several studios have asked to see the union plan, and have expressed
interest in talking to us about it. We believe that labor market forces
will eventually compel most if not all union shops to sign up to our
plan.

Q&A

Q: My divorce will be final next month. Will my ex-spouse still qualify
for medical benefits under our health plan?

A: No. Coverage for your ex-spouse will expire the last day of the month
in which the divorce is finalized.

It is very important that you promptly notify the Trust Funds of any
divorce. Otherwise, you will be held liable for any claims submitted by
your ex-spouse.

Your children from a previous marriage should continue to qualify,
provided they are your natural children. The rules regarding coverage
for stepchildren or adoptees of a divorced family are complicated. For
further information, contact the Motion Picture Industry Health and
Pension Plan, POB 1999, Studio City, CA 91614-0999, or call (818) 769-
0007 or (310) 769-0007.

AT THE WATER COOLER

Congratulations to Al Holter of Turner Feature Animation, and his wife
Nancy Turner, on their baby girl named Emma born November 20 ... Warner
Bros.'s Brian Mitchell and his wife Cindy's little girl, Jennifer Marie,
was born November 19, weighing six pounds, five ounces ... Yet another
bundle of joy for Warner Bros.'s Eric Mahady and wife Carolyn, whose
baby girl, Madison Waite, was born on December 7. She weighed in at
seven pounds, two ounces ... Mike Milo married Laura Escudero on
November 12 ... Our condolences to Maxine Markota on the death of her
husband, Richard ...

HOLLYWOOD HANDS-ON PRESENTS
CAREERS IN THE NEW MEDIA with Pam Hogarth

Spend the afternoon learning about what's happening with careers in the
new media -- what are they, where are they, who's doing them, what
skills they require, how you get one. Hollywood and Silicon Valley are
colliding in interactive entertainmentm special effects, and video
production.

Where do you fit in? Is there a place for you in the digital revolution?
What skills do you need to get your job done? Do you acquire those
skills -- or hire them? This seminar will clear much of the current
confusion and help yopu plot a road for your career future.

Pam Hogarth has been leading seminars in the new media and careers and
technology at The American Film Institute. She has a masters degree in
vocational counseling and extensive experience in counseling adults in
their career choices.

Sunday, February 12 * 2-5 pm * $25.00
held at Hollywood Hands-On, 4729 Lankershim, 2nd floor, North Hollywood
For information and reservations, call (818) 762-0060

Leonard Maltin will host An Animation Tribute: 25 Years Of Oscar-Winning
& Nominated Animation, celebrating the twenty-fifth anniversary of the
Tournee of Animation. This will take place on February 2, at 8 pm, at
the Samuel Goldwyn Theater of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and
Sciences. For additional information call (310) 278-5673.

Multimedia artists wanted: Full-time contract work. Extensive 3d Studio
and Animator Pro Experience required. Also 2D Photoshop artists needed.
Fax resume to: (415) 243-8630.

BAFTA L. A. -- the British Academy of Film and Television Arts Los
Angeles -- promotes the excellence of British film and television in the
United States. For information about membership, contact Tracy Dodd,
BAFTA L. A., 8500 Melrose Ave., Suite 208, Los Angeles 90069; phone
(310) 652-4121 or fax (310) 854-6002.

For sale: Animation light board, dark wood, with disc (glass cracked).
Also, 3 boxes of Pantone and Design art markers, all colors. Leona,
(213) 469-8730.

Openings for cartoonists, pen-and-ink and painters. Help needed on
eleven four-page cartoon stories for small magazine. Good pay !! Contact
Gerald Ravel, Mr. G's, 16010 Crenshaw Blvd. Suite D, Gardena 90249;
(310) 719-1883.

IN MEMORIAM
Al DiTolla, 1926-1994

ALFRED W. DITOLLA died of cancer on December 20, five days after
resigning as President of the IATSE (see "Short Takes Command", above).
A longtime IA officer, he was appointed to the presidency in 1986,
succeeding Walter Diehl.

If the history of DiTolla's years in office seems clouded, it's largely
for reasons beyond the control, or blame, of any one individual. In
remembering him, we prefer to credit the positive aspects of his work.
For the first time in our memories, a healthy emphasis on organizing
was added to the IA's agenda, and actions actually accompanied words. We
were continually reminded that, for all our faults, our International
and our fellow locals are at the forefront in the areas of worker
education and safety. We perceived a lessening of the climate of
hostility and antipathy that had been fostered between the West Coast
studio locals and the rest of the Alliance, as DiTolla grasped that the
Hollywood unions have become the most successful and important part of a
larger whole.

DiTolla understood the need to make hard decisions in difficult times,
even at the risk of antagonizing allies. If not all his choices turned
out to be the right ones, can we really blame him for not having perfect
foresight? Though some may disagree, we see no reason not to honor the
memory of a union official who worked to the best of his ability to move
our union forward, and often succeeded.

*****

1985 Golden Award honoree MARTY TARAS died on November 14. Since 1933,
he had worked for Van Beuren, Fleischer, Jam Handy, Terrytoons,
Paramount, Tempo, CBS, Bill Tytla, Bakshi-Krantz, Hal Seegar, Hubley,
Kim & Gifford, Ovation, D & R, Zander, N. Y. Institute of Technology,
Hanna-Barbera and Ruby-Spears.

MOTION PICTURE SCREEN CARTOONISTS
AND AFFILIATED OPTICAL ELECTRONIC AND GRAPHIC ARTS,
LOCAL 839 IATSE
4729 Lankershim Boulevard, North Hollywood, CA 91602-1864
phone (818) 766-7151 * fax (818) 506-4805
E-mail inquiries: mps...@netcom.com
Anonymous FTP: ftp.netcom.com:/pub/mp/mpsc839
PRESIDENT -- Tom Sito
BUSINESS REPRESENTATIVE -- Steve Hulett
VICE-PRESIDENT -- George Sukara
RECORDING SECRETARY -- Jeff Massie
SERGEANT-AT-ARMS -- David Teague
PEG-BOARD EDITOR -- Jeff Massie
EXECUTIVE BOARD
Viki Anderson * Bronwen Barry * Sheila Brown * Jan Browning
James Davis * Earl Kress * Craig Littell-Herrick * Tom Ray
Pat Sito * Ann Sullivan * Stephan Zupkas
TRUSTEES -- Pat Sito * Ann Sullivan * Stephan Zupkas

Contents (c) 1995 by MPSC Local 839 IATSE. All rights reserved.
Publications of bona fide labor organizations may reprint articles from
this newsletter so long as attribution is given. Permission is also
given to distribute this newsletter electronically so long as the ENTIRE
contents are distributed, including this notice.
Motion Picture Screen Cartoonists and 4729 Lankershim Blvd.
Affiliated Optical Electronic and North Hollywood, CA 91602-1864
Graphic Arts, Local 839 IATSE phone (818) 766-7151 * fax (818) 506-4805
ftp://ftp.netcom.com:/pub/mp/mpsc839 mailto://mps...@netcom.com