Whats the best operating system desgined for home pc gaming?

Peter

Jul 25, 2004, 3:13:23 AM7/25/04
Hello All,

What operating systems is best designed for home pc gaming?
Is there an operating system compatiable with 64-bit technology for
home pc gaming?

We have got the Xbox, the Playstation 2 ect, that plays games, what
can we use on the home pc that will play any game that you can think
of?

I have heard through the grape vine that you don't need an operating
system for pc gaming. Is that True?

What do you use insted of an operating system?

And if so where can i get my hands on a copy?

Is there any one out there can help with my questions?

Thanks for your time,

Peter

Gandalf Parker

Jul 25, 2004, 10:09:56 AM7/25/04
tv...@gil.com.au (Peter) wrote in

> Hello All,
>
> What operating systems is best designed for home pc gaming?
> Is there an operating system compatiable with 64-bit technology for
> home pc gaming?
>
> We have got the Xbox, the Playstation 2 ect, that plays games, what
> can we use on the home pc that will play any game that you can think
> of?

There is no best, there is only pros and cons (for ANY question).
Be aware that its a rather touchy subject in most newsgroups. It can
start a war. In My Humble Opinion Id say that in general...

MAC is the most stable and you are forced to learn the least "computer"
just to play the games.

WINDOWS has far more games available than any of them. Even the free
games can keep you busy for years. But thats because anyone can write a
game for windows so you also have alot of them which have problems. Id
say Windows XP is probably best windows for gaming

LINUX has the highest learning curve thought its getting much better. It
has the highest number of "emulators" meaning it can pretend to be any
gaming system from the newest consoles (xbox, ps2) to the oldest
computers (c64, tandy3).

Of the over 400 operating systems those are probably the ones you will
hear mentioned the most for PC.

Gandalf Parker
-- Now that sex is off the taboo list... I guess the new social rule is
that politics, religion, and operating system are not topics for polite
company. :)

Raghar

Jul 26, 2004, 1:34:13 PM7/26/04

> Hello All,

> What operating systems is best designed for home pc gaming?

Amiga OS. However, it's outdated several years.

> Is there an operating system compatiable with 64-bit technology for
> home pc gaming?

Linux 64 bit, Windoze 64 bit edition (IIRC not publicaly available), Java
VM 64 bit edition. Java isn't an OS its layer between OS and program that
protect program from OS bad behaviour, and OS from program insanity. It
does however alow to reach advantages (at least part of them) of 64 bit
OS even if underlying system is 32 bit. PS2 BIOS isn't OS so a 128 bit
RISC doesn't count.

> We have got the Xbox, the Playstation 2 ect, that plays games, what
> can we use on the home pc that will play any game that you can think
> of?

Emulator.

> I have heard through the grape vine that you don't need an operating
> system for pc gaming. Is that True?

True with big T?
I know that (physic) teachers of Gymnazium Mikulaske namesti Plzen are
fucking bastards that dislikes poor ex - astronomers amateurs, are lazy,
and care just about it's own profit.
Most hated rector of Czech republic is the rector Zlatuska (university of
Brno IIRC. They even attempted to sue him for unlawfull copying of Linux.
Unluckily for them some police officer had a brain, not too common, and
throwed that lawsuit out of window. They should try BSE or RIAA, that
university could lose, posibly permanently, a few computers.)

Do you wand another such truths? It of course depends on your definition
of OS.

> What do you use insted of an operating system?

Specialized hardware and game that could talk with it.

> And if so where can i get my hands on a copy?

20 M dolars would do it. 2.5 years delivery rate.

Of course you could play with an emulation. 0 thousands dolars (posibly
rounded)

> Is there any one out there can help with my questions?

What for do you need that answerz?

--
Kizutsuite 'ta ano hi kara

Moonlit

Aug 5, 2004, 10:39:56 AM8/5/04

MS-Windows type of system. But not all games play on all windows type. New
games usually work very well on Windows XP. Old games ( like old adventures)
depend on the kind of system they were made for. To play old games use
emulators or programs like:

-scummvm Works with specific adventure games but is very good.
-dosbox Generic command.com emulator. Works with lots of games but is
not easy to set up (actually I haven't been able to run one of my old games
fluently with it, they do run but very slow or the sound is not very good)
-Community supported software like FuhQuake, ZDoom etc.

These two also work under linux.

The compatibility option in WinXP never worked for me.

I would recommend Windows-XP (you can always dual boot with a linux
distribution if you want to, but to be honest I never play games using linux
though I have set up dosbox for it).

I don't think there is an OS that plays all games.

You can get a copy from bill...@microsoft.com

Regards, Ron AF Greve

"Peter" <tv...@gil.com.au> wrote in message
> [...]

Moonlit

Aug 5, 2004, 11:10:18 AM8/5/04

Coincidently I came through this article,

As an operating system, Linux has many things to recommend it over Windows.
Gaming, alas, is not one of them. Compared to Windows, Linux just doesn't
have anywhere near the same level of good games. Yes, there are a few here
and there, but overall, Windows continues to dominate as the PC gaming
platform of choice, with the widest array of content and the most up-to-date
graphics and audio drivers.

Read the rest here:

Regards, Ron AF Greve

"Moonlit" <news moonlit xs4all nl> wrote in message

wilson...@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2014, 5:41:30 AM12/2/14
As i am game freek i would recommend you to use windows. As windows is best OS for playing games at home.