Looking for an Old English style font

Beeg

Jul 28, 2009, 8:24:50 PM7/28/09
Hi font folks! I have been looking for a font that will replicate
this:
http://www.oldbeeg.com/images/font_letters.gif

I have looked at many dozens of fonts at many online sites and have
not found one that has the 'tails' on the capitals, the bulbous 'U',
the straight sides on the 'W' and the backslash at the end stroke of
the 'h' that are all in the same set.

The letters are on a church sign that is at least 25, and may be up to
45 years old. I would certainly appreciate any help you can give me. I
have run out of gas in my search.

Thanks and regards,
Old Beeg

Character

Jul 28, 2009, 10:57:42 PM7/28/09

The following match pretty well EXCEPT for the "W".

One of the closest would be "CyrillicGoth"
http://www.tut-vse.ru/ttf/Fonts/RNormal/CYGO____.TTF

Also OtterDB
Here's a download link.
http://www.fontemple.com/free-download/8389-OtterDB-Normal.html

This is also available as "Carlings Light"

The "W" is close to the W from "Emgraves SH" (but without the tail)
http://www.ffonts.net/EmGravesSH.font

The almost infinite number of combinations of different attributes for
each character in a blackletter typeface makes it very difficult to
find matches for older texts, unless they happen to have been made
from metal fonts that have since been digitized. This is particularly
true for architectural lettering and signs, which were often created
by hand.

- Charactger

Beeg

Jul 29, 2009, 12:45:48 PM7/29/09
Thank you for your insight, Character. I considered that I would need
to use two or so fonts to get the type style right, but I didn't think
of the hand painting of the sign. It makes sense that what I'd like to
have is probably not available. I shall start with your suggestions
and see if a few others show up as I look some more.

Many thanks,
Old Beeg

David E. Ross

Jul 29, 2009, 10:37:49 PM7/29/09

It looks very much like Wedding Text -- including the tail on the W --
except for the upper-case letter at the beginning of the second word.
That one might even be a variant of T or a ligature involving T.

Go to <http://bowfinprintworks.com/Script03Pg1.html>. A sample of
Wedding Text is the second one down on the right.

My copy of Wedding Text is by Bitstream.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

Don't ask "Why is there road rage?" Instead, ask
"Why NOT Road Rage?" or "Why Is There No Such
Thing as Fast Enough?"
<http://www.rossde.com/roadrage.html>

Jane Sullivan

Jul 30, 2009, 5:54:02 AM7/30/09

"David E. Ross" <nob...@nowhere.not> wrote in message

> On 7/28/2009 5:24 PM, Beeg wrote:
>> Hi font folks! I have been looking for a font that will replicate
>> this:
>> http://www.oldbeeg.com/images/font_letters.gif
>>
>> I have looked at many dozens of fonts at many online sites and have
>> not found one that has the 'tails' on the capitals, the bulbous 'U',
>> the straight sides on the 'W' and the backslash at the end stroke of
>> the 'h' that are all in the same set.
>>
>> The letters are on a church sign that is at least 25, and may be up
>> 45 years old. I would certainly appreciate any help you can give me.
>> have run out of gas in my search.
>>
>> Thanks and regards,
>> Old Beeg
>
> It looks very much like Wedding Text -- including the tail on the W --
> except for the upper-case letter at the beginning of the second word.
> That one might even be a variant of T or a ligature involving T.
>
> Go to <http://bowfinprintworks.com/Script03Pg1.html>. A sample of
> Wedding Text is the second one down on the right.
>
> My copy of Wedding Text is by Bitstream.

It's not Bitstream Wedding Text (with the possible exception of the
first letter). Look at the tails on the cap-M and lower-h; they are
completely different.

The font looks like Old English Text (M F Benton, 1901) except for the
first letter. That cap at the start of the second word is a U. It would
be nice to see more letters of the alphabet, as there's not much there
to go on.

The first letter looks like a Wedding Text W but it is heavier (bolder).

Dick Margulis

Jul 30, 2009, 6:30:02 AM7/30/09
Jane Sullivan wrote:
> "David E. Ross" <nob...@nowhere.not> wrote in message

>> It looks very much like Wedding Text -- including the tail on the W --

>> except for the upper-case letter at the beginning of the second word.
>> That one might even be a variant of T or a ligature involving T.
>>

> It's not Bitstream Wedding Text (with the possible exception of the
> first letter). Look at the tails on the cap-M and lower-h; they are
> completely different.
>
> The font looks like Old English Text (M F Benton, 1901) except for the
> first letter. That cap at the start of the second word is a U. It would
> be nice to see more letters of the alphabet, as there's not much there
> to go on.
>
> The first letter looks like a Wedding Text W but it is heavier (bolder).

May I remind everyone that the inquiry is about HAND-PAINTED
LETTERING!!! It is not likely to exactly match any commercial font, so
it is fruitless to niggle the details. The OP was looking for something
"close enough," I think.

Beeg

Jul 30, 2009, 7:58:33 PM7/30/09
> >> It looks very much like Wedding Text -- including the tail on the W --
> >> except for the upper-case letter at the beginning of the second word.
> >> That one might even be a variant of T or a ligature involving T.
> >> (David)

> > . . .

> > The font looks like Old English Text (M F Benton, 1901) except for the
> > first letter. That cap at the start of the second word is a U. It would
> > be nice to see more letters of the alphabet, as there's not much there
> > to go on.
> >
> > The first letter looks like a Wedding Text W but it is heavier (bolder).

> > (Jane)

> May I remind everyone that the inquiry is about HAND-PAINTED

> LETTERING!!! It is not likely to exactly match any commercial font . .
> . . .The OP was looking for something "close enough," I think.
> (Dick)

My hope to find 'the' font has taken a hit from the fact of it being
old hand-lettering -- which is not something I had taken into account.
The letters shown on my linked graphic are a shortened form of the
church sign I took a picture of, with all the duplicates removed to
make looking at the letters that are available easier.

There have been fonts that are close, in particular for the lower
case. It is the 'h' that seems to make a set worth using. But it's
always the 'W' and the 'U' that seem to be different. The suggested
fonts have given me good places to compare. It looks like I'll end up
with three fonts, one for lowers, one for the W and another for the U.

Thanks to all for your input. It's often as good to know when to stop
the search and use what is available as it could be to find the
'perfect' solution.

All my best,
Old Beeg

Character

Jul 30, 2009, 8:12:31 PM7/30/09
Beeg wrote:

> The letters shown on my linked graphic are a shortened form of the
> church sign I took a picture of, with all the duplicates removed to
> make looking at the letters that are available easier.

It would be interesting to see the entire sign.

- Character

Beeg

Jul 31, 2009, 6:54:16 AM7/31/09
> It would be interesting to see the entire sign.
>   - Character

I should have done this in the first place:
http://www.oldbeeg.com/images/sign.gif

Old Beeg

Richard Keijzer

Aug 2, 2009, 8:02:35 AM8/2/09

Hi

If I may add to that: it is indeed based on the Old English (sometimes
called Engravers Old English) typeface and the calligrapher made some
adaptations. He or she in fact made it more difficult, because it
taken a lot of practise to produce the thin dots on the i with a quill
pen cut from a goose feather. It took me years to master that.

Cheers

Richard

nrsolut...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2015, 12:28:00 PM10/15/15
I want Google logo font any body help me ....

David E. Ross

Oct 15, 2015, 12:33:04 PM10/15/15
On 10/15/2015 9:27 AM, nrsolut...@gmail.com wrote:
> I want Google logo font any body help me ....

How is the Google logo related to black-letter fonts? (Fonts such as
Berliner, Black Forest, Old English Text, and Wedding Text are
collectively called "black-letter".)

--
David E. Ross

Is Kim Davis a hero or a villain? See my
<http://www.rossde.com/KimDavis.html>.

williams...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2016, 1:00:01 PM9/1/16
i found one on google docs it's UnifrafturMaguntia

fh...@manchestergate.com

Sep 24, 2016, 12:41:15 PM9/24/16
I have found one called "Great Vibes", It looks like something that should be on the constitution of united states.

Message has been deleted

David E. Ross

Nov 2, 2016, 6:39:37 PM11/2/16
On 11/2/2016 1:17 PM, jjthebal...@gmail.com wrote:
> What's the name of the font that's in the link? I need it for a story I'm writing.

This is in a family of fonts called Black Letter. Except for the W, it
is very similar to Cloister Black Light. The W resembles English
Gothic, but too many of the other letters are definitely NOT English
Gothic. There is some similarity to Wedding Text and Old English
Regular. All of these seem to use the same lower-case letters.

I suspect that the sample was either hand-scribed or else hand type-set
from a mixed set of fonts.

--
David E. Ross

Donald Trump claims everyone likes him. Does that
include his ex-wives? How about the students who
discovered that their education at Trump University
was worthless? And how about the contractors,
suppliers, and employees he stiffed in his several
bankruptcies?

Peter Flynn

Nov 10, 2016, 6:29:30 PM11/10/16
On 11/02/2016 10:39 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 11/2/2016 1:17 PM, jjthebal...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 2:24:50 PM UTC-10, Beeg wrote:
>>> Hi font folks! I have been looking for a font that will replicate
>>> this:
>>> http://www.oldbeeg.com/images/font_letters.gif
>>>
>>> I have looked at many dozens of fonts at many online sites and have
>>> not found one that has the 'tails' on the capitals, the bulbous 'U',
>>> the straight sides on the 'W' and the backslash at the end stroke of
>>> the 'h' that are all in the same set.
>>>
>>> The letters are on a church sign that is at least 25, and may be up to
>>> 45 years old. I would certainly appreciate any help you can give me. I
>>> have run out of gas in my search.
>>>
>>> Thanks and regards,
>>> Old Beeg
>>

>> What's the name of the font that's in the link? I need it for a story I'm writing.
>>

> This is in a family of fonts called Black Letter. Except for the W, it
> is very similar to Cloister Black Light. The W resembles English
> Gothic, but too many of the other letters are definitely NOT English
> Gothic. There is some similarity to Wedding Text and Old English
> Regular. All of these seem to use the same lower-case letters.
>
> I suspect that the sample was either hand-scribed or else hand type-set
> from a mixed set of fonts.

Actually, it looks remarkably like the 'Old English' that Letraset used
to have, back in the day.

///Peter

9904...@my.hartdistrict.org

Mar 5, 2017, 7:09:50 PM3/5/17
Try the font Blackwood Castle font.

Peter Flynn

Mar 12, 2017, 5:24:32 PM3/12/17
Not even vaguely close.

Without actually hunting through the foundry catalogues, the nearest I
can come in a modern free typeface is in the Hershey fonts
(http://coopertype.org/event/the_hershey_fonts). The problem is that
those fonts were written in a now-obsolete vector language.

Fortunately, his Old English font was at some stage translated into
METAFONT (http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/hersheyoldenglishfont/) so it
can be used with LaTeX (see ny reconstruction of the original at
http://latex.silmaril.ie/examples/oldbeeg-font-letters.jpg).

But it's not the same font, merely a related family, and the spacing is
poor. I haven't looked through some of the older sources, like the
BitStream 500-Font CD-ROM but there were certainly a couple of "Old
English" fonts on there.

///Peter

David E. Ross

Mar 12, 2017, 6:57:50 PM3/12/17
Have you scrolled through the black-letter fonts at
<http://bowfinprintworks.com/Script03Pg1.html> and its following ?

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Paraphrasing Mark Twain, who was quoting someone else:
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and
alternative truths.

nichole....@okeeschools.com

Oct 23, 2017, 4:49:06 PM10/23/17
On Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 8:24:50 PM UTC-4, Beeg wrote:
--

Under Florida law, e-mail addresses, and all communications, including
e-mail communications, made or received in connection with the transaction

nowshi...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2017, 9:02:45 PM11/19/17
> i found one on google docs it's UnifrafturMaguntia

THANK YOU!!!

23rec...@eastgranby.k12.ct.us

Jan 19, 2018, 12:38:37 PM1/19/18
On Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 8:24:50 PM UTC-4, Beeg wrote:
calligraph

Tamika

Feb 7, 2018, 7:12:32 PM2/7/18
Hi, this is Tamika. I love the fonts here.

Tamika

Feb 7, 2018, 7:14:44 PM2/7/18
Hi, this is Tamika. My favorite font, is either Fira Sans, or Sue Ellen Francisco.

isaiah....@manurewaint.school.nz

Mar 25, 2018, 9:45:02 PM3/25/18

rodoli...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2018, 9:47:18 PM4/3/18
I've found something that might count, It's called
"UniFrakturMaguntia. It's somewhat similar, but doesn't have all the special pieces that you're asking for... Hope this helped and sorry if this is spam. :)

rodoli...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2018, 9:48:39 PM4/3/18
Sorry, forgot the end of the quote. The name of the font ends right inbetween the last leter and the period.

eth...@dunlapstudents.net

Oct 18, 2018, 9:36:25 PM10/18/18
I found this font close to Old English, You can do this on google docs, use:
unifrakturmaguntia

3491...@gapps.yrdsb.ca

Mar 24, 2019, 7:31:49 PM3/24/19
On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 9:36:25 PM UTC-4, eth...@dunlapstudents.net wrote:
> I found this font close to Old English, You can do this on google docs, use:
> unifrakturmaguntia

THANK U SOO MUCH

omcl...@alturasacademy.org

Apr 22, 2019, 4:54:49 PM4/22/19
I found a font called "unifrakturMaguntia" on google docs. One word of edvice do not use it with bold or italicis.

jondavid...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2019, 7:56:27 PM4/22/19
:|

olivi...@pleasanthillschools.com