What do you know for sans-serif fonts with a single-storey 'a' ?

Thomas Baruchel

May 29, 2003, 6:01:24 PM5/29/03

I like the legible sans-serif fonts with single-storey 'a', like
in AvantGarde. But most fonts have a double-storey 'a'.
Some Italic variants have a single-storey 'a', like
GillSans, RotisSansSerif, EvoBQ, etc. but the regular version
has the double-storey. I am looking for readable fonts. Could
you help me to make a list ?

--
« nous devons agir comme si la chose qui peut-être ne sera pas devait
être » (Kant, Métaphysique des moeurs, doctrine du droit, II conclusion)

Brest, le vendredi 30 mai
Thomas Baruchel <thomas....@libertysurf.fr>

Andreas Höfeld

May 30, 2003, 8:38:32 AM5/30/03
"Thomas Baruchel" <thomas....@libertysurf.fr> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Hi,
>
> I like the legible sans-serif fonts with single-storey 'a', like
> in AvantGarde. But most fonts have a double-storey 'a'.

The 'single-storey' a is not used in most fonts - for
legibility reasons! misreadings with o, q, d are more likely.
Futura is the only standard text font I know with that a.

> you help me to make a list ?

Antique Olive Nord
Bauhaus - Blippo - Horatio (aka Harry) - Wexford
Flyer Black
Futura
Neuzeit
VAG-Schrift

--
Andreas
--

www.fontgrube.gmxhome.de/en

Ingo Kniest

Jun 1, 2003, 9:03:21 AM6/1/03
I like the legible sans-serif fonts with single-storey 'a', like
in AvantGarde. But most fonts have a double-storey 'a'.
Some Italic variants have a single-storey 'a', like
GillSans, RotisSansSerif, EvoBQ, etc. but the regular version
has the double-storey. I am looking for readable fonts. Could
you help me to make a list ?
---

Gill Sans Schoolbook

Mike Yanega

Jun 1, 2003, 10:05:03 AM6/1/03
Thomas Baruchel wrote on 05/29/03 3:01 PM:

> Hi,
>
> I like the legible sans-serif fonts with single-storey 'a', like
> in AvantGarde. But most fonts have a double-storey 'a'.
> Some Italic variants have a single-storey 'a', like
> GillSans, RotisSansSerif, EvoBQ, etc. but the regular version
> has the double-storey. I am looking for readable fonts. Could
> you help me to make a list ?

See the Sans Serif Font ID Guide/Aid at
http://bowfinprintworks.com/SansIDPage.html

All the fonts with style codes in the left side of Table 1 have the
single-storey 'a'. The e, g, and G determine the rest of the code
information to look up, but all of those codes have that form of 'a'. Seven
of the 10 pages in the Guide contain at least some of these fonts, although
that does not mean they are that common; as Andreas said they are less
common than the double-storey type. You must follow the Style Codes, but I
think you will have a larger list than your replies to this point.

- Mike Yanega
Bowfin Printworks
http://www.bowfinprintworks.com

Thomas Baruchel

Jun 2, 2003, 12:19:22 AM6/2/03
Le Fri, 30 May 2003 14:38:32 +0200, Andreas Höfeld a écrit :
>The 'single-storey' a is not used in most fonts - for
>legibility reasons! misreadings with o, q, d are more likely.
>Futura is the only standard text font I know with that a.

Answering to another question in the group, I also remembered
that Hershey-Plain, which can be called a standard font ;-)
has the single-storey a and is quite legible...

--
« nous devons agir comme si la chose qui peut-être ne sera pas devait
être » (Kant, Métaphysique des moeurs, doctrine du droit, II conclusion)

Thomas Baruchel <thomas....@libertysurf.fr>

raffae...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2020, 7:52:23 PM8/8/20
You typed this exactly 3 years before I was born...