What is the font used in NASA logo? Where?

chang hsu liu

Jan 24, 1993, 12:41:36 AM1/24/93

Is there a site that has the font like NASA logo?

Thanks in advance.

Peter Liu
cl...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu

sine path square field

Jan 25, 1993, 12:12:02 AM1/25/93

hey, i am pretty sure that the NASA logo was hand drawn.

sines
--
ENHANCED (design/music)---> todd sines * 384 e17th ave, columbus, oh 43201
body release (techno)----| tsi...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

Michael P Urban

Jan 25, 1993, 10:38:23 AM1/25/93
In article <1993Jan25....@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> tsi...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (sine path square field) writes:
>hey, i am pretty sure that the NASA logo was hand drawn.

Yes, I think it is pretty common for logos, which are often corporate
Trademarks and not, strictly speaking, words, to be one-off designs,
not actually letters in a font. My own experience in this matter
comes from having duplicated the TRW corporate logo (you know, the
slanty letters with holes in 'em) using Knuth's METAFONT. The actual
official design was a CAD diagram with all sorts of angles, radii, and
proportions; these were drawings, not letters. METAFONT, by the way,
handles this sort of thing beautifully. TRW's Office of Corporate
Identity (I am not making this up, you know...) had a whole brochure
on the use of the logo, emphasizing that it is a trademark, not a
word, and so should not be embedded in sentences (I believe they
prescribed at least a half-inch of empty space around the logo). And
if color is used, it must be Pantone(r) Warm Red. The lawyers take
this sort of thing seriously.

Mike Urban

ur...@cobra.jpl.nasa.gov

prufrock

Jan 25, 1993, 2:33:38 PM1/25/93
chang hsu liu <cl...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu> writes:

>Is there a site that has the font like NASA logo?

This probably doesn't answer your question, but two points should be noted:

1) NASA used to distribute (internally) a Mac Type One
version of its "worm" logo for use in official
documents. This was a simple font that had the
"worm" logo as one of its characters. Unfortunately,
when I saw it it wasn't to be distributed outside NASA
at all. However...

2) Last summer the new administrator of NASA (Michael Golden?)
reversed a 1970s design change and reinstated the old
"blue meatball" (a circular seal design) as the official
NASA logo. The "worm" will disappear gradually as
various pieces of NASA equipment are repainted, they
run out of stationery, etc.

Now, does (2) mean that (1)'s condition no longer exists, and we poor
font hobbyists can get our hands on a copy of the worm logo? Probably not...

To answer your question, there are some family similarities between
the commercial font family Bauhaus (available from Adobe, among others)
and the individual letters in the NASA "worm." I have yet to see a share/
freeware version of Bauhaus, though.

prufrock p o box 232
dept of physics newcomb hall station
univ of virginia cville va 22904

Ulrich Mayring

Jan 26, 1993, 3:21:56 AM1/26/93
ur...@sideshow.jpl.nasa.gov (Michael P Urban) writes:

>In article <1993Jan25....@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> tsi...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (sine path square field) writes:
>>hey, i am pretty sure that the NASA logo was hand drawn.

>Yes, I think it is pretty common for logos, which are often corporate
>Trademarks and not, strictly speaking, words, to be one-off designs,

After all, you wouldn't want your company to be confused with others,
who also don't have the momey to hire a professional designer.

>not actually letters in a font. My own experience in this matter
>comes from having duplicated the TRW corporate logo (you know, the
>slanty letters with holes in 'em) using Knuth's METAFONT. The actual
>official design was a CAD diagram with all sorts of angles, radii, and
>proportions; these were drawings, not letters. METAFONT, by the way,
>handles this sort of thing beautifully. TRW's Office of Corporate
>Identity (I am not making this up, you know...) had a whole brochure
>on the use of the logo, emphasizing that it is a trademark, not a
>word, and so should not be embedded in sentences (I believe they
>prescribed at least a half-inch of empty space around the logo). And
>if color is used, it must be Pantone(r) Warm Red. The lawyers take
>this sort of thing seriously.

Also the designers. After all, it's what they get paid for. I wouldn't
think that having a brochure describing the way logos are handled and
fonts are used is very uncommon. Real big companies also hire font
designers to make a font exclusively for them.

Ulrich Mayring.

Ken Hardy

Jan 26, 1993, 11:07:02 AM1/26/93

The company I work for is in Sun's Catalyst program which supports to
some degree software development for their Sparc platform. I recall
seeing a packet from Sun explaining exactly how their Sparc logo is
supposed to be drawn, colored, and used. This was intended for
corporate art departments which may incorporate the Sparc logo on their
own marketing & packaging material to emphasize that it is software for
the Sparc.

I can understand their wish that it be treated consistently to get a
consistent look. After all, logos are distinguishable from plain text
by their special look, and that look is specifically why they are
used.

--

Ken Hardy
k...@bridge.com (racerx!ken)

Susan E. Kayser NSSDC/STX (301)513-1673

Jan 28, 1993, 4:11:00 PM1/28/93
In article <1993Jan25....@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, tsi...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (sine path square field) writes...

>hey, i am pretty sure that the NASA logo was hand drawn.

The AGFAType CD-ROM has several business logo fonts, and I think that the NASA
"worm" logo was on one of them. I don't have the catalog handy to check.
Adobe's Type on Call may have the same fonts.

Susan Kayser NCF::KAYSER or kay...@nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov
Hughes/STX at NASA/GSFC/NSSDC
Greenbelt, MD

John Dundas

Jan 29, 1993, 4:41:04 PM1/29/93
The file logofonts.cpt.hqx in the directory (roughly)
mac/system.extensions/font/type1, on mac.archive.umich.edu contains a
font called Logos Technology which contains, among others, a NASA worm
logo as a character. As far as I know, this is not approved by NASA or
anyone else, but does look very close to what the logo is supposed to
look like.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

swimmer1929

Jan 2, 2015, 2:59:22 AM1/2/15
Bump! I'd like to see an answer too.

sean.b...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2015, 12:01:52 PM9/4/15
On Friday, 2 January 2015 02:59:22 UTC-5, swimmer1929 wrote:
> Bump! I'd like to see an answer too.

Try http://fontzone.net/font-details/nasa

The kerning is a little off from the actual logo (since that logo has the "S" overlapping), but it seems to be pretty close.
Message has been deleted

pashae...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2018, 11:29:08 AM6/27/18
The font looks so tiny on my 4K screen

HOLY NECROPOST

Nov 19, 2019, 2:51:08 PM11/19/19
bump

ChugMug

Nov 25, 2019, 6:37:18 AM11/25/19
On 2019-11-19 19:51:07 +0000, HOLY NECROPOST said:

> bump

It's probably not a font.

officialjarix

Dec 30, 2020, 9:10:05 AM12/30/20
Welcome to 2020!

Kojo Regenbogen

Apr 29, 2021, 10:30:20 PM4/29/21
Time for the annual bump. Welcome to 2021!