Font Edition

Arnulf Sopp

Nov 4, 2020, 10:43:52 PM11/4/20
Hi!

Since years I've been creating fonts. Formerly, I used fontographer which
still works, but the UI of which is of yesteryear. Later I used FontCreator
quite successfully. But after installing the newest version the program
froze the moment I clicked onto a glyph field. Unfortunately the previous
version can't be restored.

Does somebody know a font editor which works reliably, is affordable, and
has an UI (user interface) designed for non- oder half-geniuses? Please
neglect annual subscription solutions.

Thanks in advance!

Arnulf Sopp

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Nov 5, 2020, 5:34:57 AM11/5/20
In article <1wbk8b0n...@news.hacktory.de>, Arnulf Sopp
Metafont.

Me

Dec 30, 2020, 1:07:44 AM12/30/20
Arnulf Sopp <hack_DELET...@gmx.de> wrote in
FontForge is good and free. Open source but have a higher learning
curve. Once you get yourself familiarized with it, it is a good editor.
https://fontforge.org/

TypeTool from Fontlab. It is not as pricey as Fontlab and you can give
it a spin for free for 30 days
https://www.fontlab.com/font-editor/typetool/

There are many free and low cost font editors but if you used
Fontographer regularly before, I am sure that you will find those
editors meant for beginners lacking in functionality.

FFF

--------
https://freefootballfont.blogspot.com/

Arnulf Sopp

Dec 30, 2020, 7:02:13 PM12/30/20
Am Wed, 30 Dec 2020 06:07:43 -0000 (UTC) schrieb Me:

> FontForge is good and free. Open source but have a higher learning
> curve. Once you get yourself familiarized with it, it is a good editor.
> https://fontforge.org/

I already have it on my harddisk but it takes quite a while to browse to a
font file to work on. And if you choose "Save to ..." you start browsing
again. But it's functionality is quite impressive.

> TypeTool from Fontlab. It is not as pricey as Fontlab and you can give
> it a spin for free for 30 days
> https://www.fontlab.com/font-editor/typetool/

I'll try it out. But most probably I won't buy it because a purchase on an
annual subscription base is mere exploitation on the long run.

Thank you very much!

Arnulf