Website ripping

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Ben Castricum

unread,
Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
to
Hi everyone and specially website owners,

As a few of you may know I try to maintain a C64 website with loads of stuff
on it ready to download. I spend lot's of time checking out if games work,
documenting who did what for a game and add all kinds of extra's to games.
Needless to say that all my free time goes up in my site.
Once in a while I browse the net to check what's new on other sites, check
out my fellow C64 enthusiasts. Unfortunately yesterday some bloke pointed
out a website to me that I should have a look at. As it seems, some.... guy
(trying hard to be polite here) mirrored my site and created a new site with
just my stuff on it and his name on it! This is the 3rd time the last couple
of months I find a shameless rip-off of my site without even acknowledging
the work I had put in it or even a reference where the stuff actually is
from.

Are there any website owners that have the same experiences? I would like to
discuss if there is something I can do to prevent or otherwise take care of
these things etc.. I really enjoyed maintaining the website but now my moral
is on a all-time low.

Ben

Martin Brunner

unread,
Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
to
Eines Tages sprach der sogenannte Ben Castricum:

>Are there any website owners that have the same experiences?

I recorded some sounds for my car and put them on my homepage.

Two years later I found the sounds on the original Peugeot page! I
contacted Peugeot and figured out that someone of the website
corporation which made the site stole the sounds from my site.

Now they asked me what they should do to mollify me.

--
End of Mail Error

o_reillys

unread,
Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
to
FUCK UP YOU FUCKING MOANING WANKERS!!!!!!!!!


Martin Brunner <mar...@finwds01.tu-graz.ac.at> wrote in message
news:rbl25skr00ojoi0vu...@4ax.com...

shee...@earthlink.net

unread,
Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
to
Ben Castricum wrote:

> Are there any website owners that have the same experiences? I would like to
> discuss if there is something I can do to prevent or otherwise take care of
> these things etc.. I really enjoyed maintaining the website but now my moral
> is on a all-time low.

When you find someone who is doing this you should write them a polite
email asking them either to give you credit for the mirror or to take it
off completely.

And if that doesn't work post their email and site URL here.


David Dahle

unread,
Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
to
Here's a website with some scripts available, one of which disables
right-click..

http://www.kallbackafrica.com/simply/index1.htm

... and just what the hell is oreilly's problem?

Dave

Ben Castricum

unread,
Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
to

<shee...@earthlink.net> schreef in berichtnieuws
38510A86...@earthlink.net...

> Ben Castricum wrote:
>
> > Are there any website owners that have the same experiences? I would
like to
> > discuss if there is something I can do to prevent or otherwise take care
of
> > these things etc.. I really enjoyed maintaining the website but now my
moral
> > is on a all-time low.
>
> When you find someone who is doing this you should write them a polite
> email asking them either to give you credit for the mirror or to take it
> off completely.

Thanks for the suggestion. I wrote him a kind e-mail to do just that... It
took me some trouble to stay polite though ;)

> And if that doesn't work post their email and site URL here.

Is that a good idea? That just gives him the attention he wants.

Ben

Thorsten Fischer

unread,
Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
to
Hi Ben,

Ben Castricum <hostm...@cia.c64.org> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
3852212b$0$59...@reader3.casema.net...
>
> <shee...@earthlink.net> schreef in berichtnieuws


> > And if that doesn't work post their email and site URL here.
>
> Is that a good idea? That just gives him the attention he wants.

Uh, perhaps :-) But our only sign of attention would be flaming him :-)

Cheers,
Thorsten

Shee...@earthlink.net

unread,
Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
to
Ben Castricum wrote:

> > And if that doesn't work post their email and site URL here.
>
> Is that a good idea? That just gives him the attention he wants.

It would be negative attention. Maybe the disapproval of their "peers"
would clue them in.


Jukka Aho

unread,
Dec 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/12/99
to
David Dahle <dda...@dtgnet.com> wrote in message
news:8Tl44.278$P43....@newsfeed.slurp.net...

> Here's a website with some scripts available, one of which disables
> right-click..
>
> http://www.kallbackafrica.com/simply/index1.htm

This does not protect your images in any way. There are several
well-known ways to circumvent these scripts:

1) you can disable JavaScript from your browser

2) if you are browsing with a Windows machine and have
a keyboard with Windows keys on it, simply press the
context menu key (the one left to the right-side Ctrl
key) and you'll get the same menu that you would get
by pressing the right mouse button

3) you can examine the source code and figure out where
the images are

4) if anything else fails, it is always possible to use
a screen grabber

Using this kind of script only gives a false sense of
"protection" to the author of the pages.

-- znark

Ben Castricum

unread,
Dec 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/12/99
to
David Dahle <dda...@dtgnet.com> wrote in message
news:8Tl44.278$P43....@newsfeed.slurp.net...

> Here's a website with some scripts available, one of which disables
> right-click..
>
> http://www.kallbackafrica.com/simply/index1.htm

If I am adding some kind of protection (still not sure) than it would be
some kind of hidden link (invisible/unclickable) when some automated suck
program requests the hidden link I would block the source IP address
someway. I am not sure if this technique works. Hmm.. perhaps I should
copyright it :) Ehmm.. this technique called ehm.. suck-off is (c) 1999 by
me ;-) Prices are negotiable ;-)

Ben

Martijn van Buul

unread,
Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
to
It occurred to me that Ben Castricum wrote in comp.emulators.cbm:


> If I am adding some kind of protection (still not sure) than it would be
> some kind of hidden link (invisible/unclickable) when some automated suck
> program requests the hidden link I would block the source IP address
> someway.

Well, that too has a couple of problems. First of all, hidden links aren't
THAT hidden -- they show up with Lynx, for example. Furthermore, there
might be browsers that start downloading links when there's nothing else
to do -- including your hidden link.

> I am not sure if this technique works. Hmm.. perhaps I should copyright it :)

There's no way to really block this phenomenon. If you are running your own
server, you might be able to hack some traffic monitor in it, and block
a certain host when it tries to leech too fast. Then again, if I were to
write a websuck-program, I'd implement an (optional) delay to circomvene
this..

--
Martijn van Buul - Pi...@dohd.cx - http://www.stack.nl/~martijnb/
Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333

David M. Williams

unread,
Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
to
In comp.emulators.misc Martin Brunner <mar...@finwds01.tu-graz.ac.at> wrote:

: contacted Peugeot and figured out that someone of the website


: corporation which made the site stole the sounds from my site.
: Now they asked me what they should do to mollify me.

I'd be asking them for a new Peugeot :)

Joe Forster/STA

unread,
Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
to
Ben, if this suck-off (tm) stuff needs Java(script) then, please,
refrain from doing it. I really hate it when I need to switch them on
(by default, they're off cause Netscape runs faster and more reliable
without them) just to be able to browse a site.

As for the mirrorring, I'm also damn angry when people put up SC betas
onto their pages when the first few lines in the docs (bah, who the hell
reads them, right?!) explicitly tell that it's a no-no... I guess, you
can't really do about that more than kindly asking the guy to stop it
right there... And I'm not sure if a public "fuck you" message is a
great idea, it might piss of more people than you'd want...

Joe Forster/STA
s...@c64.org

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!


sola...@don'tmesswithtexas.net

unread,
Dec 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/14/99
to
"Jukka Aho" <jukk...@iki.fi> wrote:

>> Here's a website with some scripts available, one of which disables
>> right-click..
>>
>> http://www.kallbackafrica.com/simply/index1.htm
>

>This does not protect your images in any way. There are several
>well-known ways to circumvent these scripts:

It also doesn't work with all browsers even if you _have_ Javascript
running. Opera 3.60, for example, ignores it completely.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
BREAK UP MICROSOFT!!
(Preferably with a wrecking ball and some dynamite.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
solarfox@DON'TMESSWITHtexas.net (Gary Akins jr.)
http://lonestar.texas.net/~solarfox
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Doug Wheeler

unread,
Dec 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/14/99
to
David Dahle <dda...@dtgnet.com> wrote in message
news:8Tl44.278$P43....@newsfeed.slurp.net...
> Here's a website with some scripts available, one of which disables
> right-click..
>
> http://www.kallbackafrica.com/simply/index1.htm

Uhh... All you have to do is hold down the left button while right-clicking.

--Doug


White Flame (aka David Holz)

unread,
Dec 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/14/99
to
Jukka Aho <jukk...@iki.fi> wrote in message
news:830ef6$rdm$1...@haavi.uwasa.fi...

> This does not protect your images in any way. There are several
> well-known ways to circumvent these scripts:
...

> 4) if anything else fails, it is always possible to use
> a screen grabber

a simple alt-printscreen will do. And don't forget that there's always the
cache!

--
White Flame (aka David Holz)
http://fly.to/theflame

Seiu Ongaku

unread,
Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
to
Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

>
> On Fri, 10 Dec 1999 13:56:39 +0100, Ben Castricum wrote:
>
> >As it seems, some.... guy
> >(trying hard to be polite here) mirrored my site and created a new site with
> >just my stuff on it and his name on it!
>
> I would frequently rename files on your server and update your HTML then, if
> the other just links pictures and other sources from your page. Check the
> code from "his" page for this. That causes alot of broken links on his page
> and at least forces him to upload the pictures/sources himself.
>
> I was once successfully with somebody who just linked sources from my page.
>
> Andreas

<OR> put the body of the site under a directory and rename that
directory every week. Then all you have to do update the index page in
the root directory and make all the links within the site relative and
not base.

- Seiu

Martijn van Buul

unread,
Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
to
It occurred to me that Seiu Ongaku wrote in comp.emulators.cbm:

> <OR> put the body of the site under a directory and rename that
> directory every week. Then all you have to do update the index page in
> the root directory and make all the links within the site relative and
> not base.

That won't really work. Suppose I want to 'mirror'[1] a site. I wouldn't
just grab the index page and claim that it were mine, but I'd rather
rip the whole site, INCLUDING the directories. I'd put that file structure
on a local disk, and Ben could change directories as much as he wants,
but my local copy^H^H^H^Hmirror wouldn't suffer from that. Only a
really bad rip wouldn't work anymore, including link farms.

Martijn

[1] Ah well.. Steal, borrow for an extended period of time, confiscate,
"proletarisch winkelen".. Whatever suits you fine..

Homeslice

unread,
Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99
to
seems from your original post here (i'm late in the game) that one of your
concerns is links to downloads from you page....why not just zip everything
and password it with your url? i frequent a site that uses the method...it
may not prevent them from stealing...but it won't make it as easy!

Ben Castricum <hostm...@cia.c64.org> wrote in message
news:3850f735$0$31...@reader3.casema.net...


> Hi everyone and specially website owners,
>
> As a few of you may know I try to maintain a C64 website with loads of
stuff
> on it ready to download. I spend lot's of time checking out if games work,
> documenting who did what for a game and add all kinds of extra's to games.
> Needless to say that all my free time goes up in my site.
> Once in a while I browse the net to check what's new on other sites, check
> out my fellow C64 enthusiasts. Unfortunately yesterday some bloke pointed

> out a website to me that I should have a look at. As it seems, some....


guy
> (trying hard to be polite here) mirrored my site and created a new site
with

> just my stuff on it and his name on it! This is the 3rd time the last
couple
> of months I find a shameless rip-off of my site without even acknowledging
> the work I had put in it or even a reference where the stuff actually is
> from.
>

> Are there any website owners that have the same experiences? I would like
to
> discuss if there is something I can do to prevent or otherwise take care
of
> these things etc.. I really enjoyed maintaining the website but now my
moral
> is on a all-time low.
>

> Ben
>
>

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages