VMWare Issues - Help!

cb

Feb 12, 2001, 4:43:12 AM2/12/01
Hi!

I'm sorry if this is a mite off topic, but I figure any Linux gurus out
there will feel my pain and maybe have some experience. I have recently
acquired VMware, and I feel it
will almost get rid of my need to ever boot up Windows again (except
virtually).

Anyone know how to set up the VGA driver on VMware? I am running Win98
under Red Hat Linux. Everything works well, but I can't get better
resolution than 640x480. VMware tools works, and I can get the driver
loaded in, but it says the loaders for the driver can't load in the
driver (Code 23). Help!

-I guess my Windows skills have declined somewhat since I use Linux
almost exclusively, but there are a few s/w packages I can't use in Linux
yet!

Thanks in advance for any useful tidbits of knowledge!

cb

John English

Feb 13, 2001, 6:51:58 AM2/13/01
cb wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm sorry if this is a mite off topic, but I figure any Linux gurus out
> there will feel my pain and maybe have some experience. I have recently
> acquired VMware, and I feel it
> will almost get rid of my need to ever boot up Windows again (except
> virtually).
>
> Anyone know how to set up the VGA driver on VMware? I am running Win98
> under Red Hat Linux. Everything works well, but I can't get better
> resolution than 640x480. VMware tools works, and I can get the driver
> loaded in, but it says the loaders for the driver can't load in the
> driver (Code 23). Help!

Have a look in the docs on the VMWare website -- there's an article
in there that tells you what to do about this. I had it happen to me
ages ago, but I followed the instructions and fixed it and now can't
remember how to do it. Sorry!

Also: try news://news.vmware.com/ for VMWare queries.

HTH,

John English | mailto:j...@brighton.ac.uk
Senior Lecturer | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
Dept. of Computing | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
University of Brighton | -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk

alien

Feb 13, 2001, 1:27:09 AM2/13/01
When you have installed VMWare run it and start your Win98 under
Linux. When it has restarted you have to go to VMWare menu and click
on Settings -> VMWare Tools Install. You ask yes to the question in
the screen and after that VMWare creates a virtual unit on your floppy
disk. Then you have to go under Win98 to a:\ (without any disk in the
drive) and you'll see you have an EXE file that you have to launch.
Once you've done it you've installed VMWare Tools, and when restarting
Win98 machine you only have to change your video adapter settings like
you do under Win98.
That's all!.

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:51:58 +0000, John English <j...@bton.ac.uk>

John English

Feb 14, 2001, 6:55:17 AM2/14/01
alien wrote:

> When you have installed VMWare run it and start your Win98 under
> Linux. When it has restarted you have to go to VMWare menu and click
> on Settings -> VMWare Tools Install. You ask yes to the question in
> the screen and after that VMWare creates a virtual unit on your floppy
> disk. Then you have to go under Win98 to a:\ (without any disk in the
> drive) and you'll see you have an EXE file that you have to launch.
> Once you've done it you've installed VMWare Tools, and when restarting
> Win98 machine you only have to change your video adapter settings like
> you do under Win98.
> That's all!.

No, not all at all. You notice the original poster said "VMware tools
works, and I can get the driver loaded in", so he already knows all
this. However, on *some* systems the VMWare video driver fails to work,
and the result is reported as an "error 23". The reason for this and
the solution is documented on the VMWare website, as I pointed out in
my response.

cb

Feb 14, 2001, 1:11:18 PM2/14/01
Thanks for your help, the article on the vmware website helped me get my
colors and resolution to usable states!

Thanks for taking the time to help me!

cb

In article <3A8A7225...@bton.ac.uk>, "John English" <j...@bton.ac.uk>