Emulators for Historical Computers?

Ron Nicholson

Jun 13, 1994, 3:38:05 PM6/13/94
I've seen a lot of postings about emulators for recent 8-bit and
16-bit personal computers (apple][, c64, Sinclair, Mac, IBM PC, etc.)
You can still find a lot of these machines in good running condition.

I'm interested in hearing about emulators for well known historical
computers, where there may be few or no running examples except,
perhaps, in of museums. Are there any emulators for computers such as
the EDSAC, UNIVAC 1, the IBM 701, PDP-6, Burroughs B5000, etc.

Emulators for historical computers would be interesting as a way of
learning about the history of computing, and as a way of preserving
that history. It might be fun to run one of the original Fortran
compilers or LISP 1.0 systems.

---
Ronald H. Nicholson, Jr. r...@engr.sgi.com, r...@netcom.com, N6YWU
#include <canonical.disclaimer> // I speak only for myself, etc.

--
---
Ronald H. Nicholson, Jr. r...@engr.sgi.com, r...@netcom.com, N6YWU
#include <canonical.disclaimer> // I speak only for myself, etc.

Douglas W. Jones,201H MLH,3193350740,3193382879

Jun 13, 1994, 5:05:39 PM6/13/94
From article <CrCp7...@odin.corp.sgi.com>,
by r...@waltz.engr.sgi.com (Ron Nicholson):

> I've seen a lot of postings about emulators for recent 8-bit and

> 16-bit personal computers ...

> I'm interested in hearing about emulators for well known historical
> computers, where there may be few or no running examples except,
> perhaps, in of museums. Are there any emulators for computers such as
> the EDSAC, UNIVAC 1, the IBM 701, PDP-6, Burroughs B5000, etc.

Keep an eye on alt.sys.pdp8 for emulators for that particular historical
machine (for the unaware, the pdp-8 was the first computer manufactured
in a tabletop configuration, the first sold for less than $10,000 (complete
system price, including I/O and software), the first computer offered for
retail sale, and a number of other firsts in the era from 1965 (when it
was introduced) to 1974 or so (when microcomputer systems displaced it
from price leadership).

I have a -8 emulator that runs under X-11 on UNIX that includes working
blinkenlights and switches. The released version only has emulated paper
tape and console TTY input-output, but a version with RX01 diskette
support is in the works, and after that hard job is finished, I'll do
the far easier job of adding some kind of hard disk.

> Emulators for historical computers would be interesting as a way of
> learning about the history of computing, and as a way of preserving
> that history.

It's not a new idea. I've got enough documentation on the -8 to keep
me busy for a while, and after I finish that, I'm tempted to take on the
IBM 701, complete with all the tight timing constraints of that machine's
odd (by modern standards) peripherals. I'd love to have a good emulator
for the Honeywell DDP-516 (that was the first 16 bit mini I really got
into in depth), but I don't have access to anything but memories of its
technical specs.
Doug Jones
jo...@cs.uiowa.edu

Mark Lentczner

Jun 14, 1994, 7:48:05 PM6/14/94
I've begun work on an IBM 1401 emulator. This will include emulation of
the peripherals (which, one might claim were integral to the CPU on
that machine). I'm insearch of technical manuals for this device. Some
net souls are helping me a bit, but the more info the merrier. Anyone
got images of the peripherals - so I can do them justice on screen (of
course I'm modeling it down to the card read/punch sorters... :-)

-mark lentczner
ma...@netcom.com

Mark Aitchison - Physics and Astronomy Computologist

Jun 14, 1994, 10:38:34 PM6/14/94
In article <CrCp7...@odin.corp.sgi.com>, r...@waltz.engr.sgi.com (Ron Nicholson) writes:
> I'm interested in hearing about emulators for well known historical
> computers, where there may be few or no running examples except,
> perhaps, in of museums. Are there any emulators for computers such as
> the EDSAC, UNIVAC 1, the IBM 701, PDP-6, Burroughs B5000, etc.

I'd like to see them too. I am thinking of writing an emulator for a Data
General Nova, and, for what its worth, I do know of an emulator for an IBM 360
but it ran on a computer that now needs emulating itself!

Mark Aitchison.

Douglas W. Jones,201H MLH,3193350740,3193382879

Jun 15, 1994, 10:17:51 AM6/15/94
If anyone wants to emulate the IBM 1130, I have assembly listings of the
complete operating system (I believe). It's all on microfiche, and I
believe it includes utilities, the assembler, and the FORTRAN compiler.

Doug Jones
jo...@cs.uiowa.edu

Russell Schulz

Jun 16, 1994, 10:55:04 AM6/16/94
(copied to a.f.c)

ma...@netcom.com (Mark Lentczner) writes:

> I've begun work on an IBM 1401 emulator. This will include
> emulation of the peripherals (which, one might claim were
> integral to the CPU on that machine). I'm insearch of technical
> manuals for this device.

does anyone have old software? does anyone have any way to read it?
--
Russell Schulz rus...@alpha3.ersys.edmonton.ab.ca ersys!rschulz Shad 86c

Douglas W. Jones,201H MLH,3193350740,3193382879

Jun 17, 1994, 10:32:22 AM6/17/94
From article <940616.085504.4...@alpha3.ersys.edmonton.ab.ca>, by rus...@alpha3.ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Russell Schulz):

> (copied to a.f.c)
>
> ma...@netcom.com (Mark Lentczner) writes:
>
>> I've begun work on an IBM 1401 emulator. ...

> does anyone have old software? does anyone have any way to read it?

I have a deck of microfiche that claims to be a complete assembly listing
of the IBM 1130 operating system, including the FORTRAN compiler and other
related stuff. Presumably someone out there has hoarded similar bits
for other old iron.

How to recover the data? Kurzweil makes great reading machines, and others
are on the market. If we can use one to read the fiche and make ASCII from
it, then all we need to do is write filters to strip off the irrelevant
stuff and leave us with reconstructed source files. Other filtering on
an assembly listing might even be able to reconstruct object files (no
guarantee, since not all the object file structure makes it into many
assembly listing formats).
Doug Jones
jo...@cs.uiowa.edu

Michael Hughes

Jun 17, 1994, 4:14:29 PM6/17/94
EvGB...@netcom.com> <940616.085504.4...@alpha3.ersys.edmonton.ab.c

a>
Russell Schulz (rus...@alpha3.ersys.edmonton.ab.ca) wrote:
: (copied to a.f.c)

: ma...@netcom.com (Mark Lentczner) writes:

: > I've begun work on an IBM 1401 emulator. This will include

: > emulation of the peripherals (which, one might claim were
: > integral to the CPU on that machine). I'm insearch of technical
: > manuals for this device.

: does anyone have old software? does anyone have any way to read it?

If you need to read 9 track tape and get it to floppy (tar, dos) I can get
that done. I might have a way to get 80 col. card to diskette or 9 track tape.

Anyone have a IBM 650 emulator?

: --

: Russell Schulz rus...@alpha3.ersys.edmonton.ab.ca ersys!rschulz Shad 86c

_ _ _ _ _ , Loghome living is the
' ) ) ) / // ' ) / / best !
/ / / o _. /_ __. _ // /--/ . . _, /_ _ _
/ ' (_<_(__/ /_(_/|_</_</_ / (_(_/_(_)_/ /_</_/_)_ WORK:mhu...@bridge.com
BRIDGE Information Systems, Inc /| HOME:m...@loghome.rgm.com
St. Louis MO 6314 |/ netcomsv.netcom.com!rgm!loghome!mdh

gdrue...@csupomona.edu

Jun 22, 1994, 2:29:52 AM6/22/94
In article <CrCp7...@odin.corp.sgi.com>, r...@waltz.engr.sgi.com (Ron Nicholson) writes:

[Stuff Deleted]

> I'm interested in hearing about emulators for well known historical
> computers, where there may be few or no running examples except,
> perhaps, in of museums. Are there any emulators for computers such as
> the EDSAC, UNIVAC 1, the IBM 701, PDP-6, Burroughs B5000, etc.
>
> Emulators for historical computers would be interesting as a way of
> learning about the history of computing, and as a way of preserving
> that history. It might be fun to run one of the original Fortran
> compilers or LISP 1.0 systems.
>
> ---
> Ronald H. Nicholson, Jr. r...@engr.sgi.com, r...@netcom.com, N6YWU
> #include <canonical.disclaimer> // I speak only for myself, etc.
--

Hello Ronald,

I know of a P.E.T. Emulator for the Vic-20 Computer. It emulators the original
4k P.E.T. Computer by Commodore on a Vic-20. Now, if you have a modern
computer such as an Amiga/IBM, and are able to get a Vix-20 emulator, then I
suppose you can then emulate P.E.T. on the Vic emulator. This would be th
elong way around...

Anyhow, The onyl computer that I know to have a vix-20 emulator is the Amiga,
though the IBm night have one, but I have never heard of one...

---
Gene Ruebsamen

+ Computer Dept. Chair, ERA Champion Realty. +
Email: gdrue...@vmsa.is.csupomona.edu

The views that I express are not necessarily those of my employer.

Rob Janssen

Jun 22, 1994, 9:21:29 AM6/22/94
In <1994Jun21.222952.1@clstac> gdrue...@csupomona.edu writes:

>In article <CrCp7...@odin.corp.sgi.com>, r...@waltz.engr.sgi.com (Ron Nicholson) writes:

: [Stuff Deleted]
:>
:> I'm interested in hearing about emulators for well known historical
:> computers, where there may be few or no running examples except,
:> perhaps, in of museums. Are there any emulators for computers such as
:> the EDSAC, UNIVAC 1, the IBM 701, PDP-6, Burroughs B5000, etc.
:>
:> Emulators for historical computers would be interesting as a way of
:> learning about the history of computing, and as a way of preserving
:> that history. It might be fun to run one of the original Fortran
:> compilers or LISP 1.0 systems.
:>
:> ---
:> Ronald H. Nicholson, Jr. r...@engr.sgi.com, r...@netcom.com, N6YWU
:> #include <canonical.disclaimer> // I speak only for myself, etc.
:--

:Hello Ronald,

:I know of a P.E.T. Emulator for the Vic-20 Computer. It emulators the original
:4k P.E.T. Computer by Commodore on a Vic-20. Now, if you have a modern
:computer such as an Amiga/IBM, and are able to get a Vix-20 emulator, then I
:suppose you can then emulate P.E.T. on the Vic emulator. This would be th
:elong way around...

:Anyhow, The onyl computer that I know to have a vix-20 emulator is the Amiga,
:though the IBm night have one, but I have never heard of one...

So, make an Amiga emulator for the IBM PC and you can... well, you get
the idea :-)

Rob

VERLIN RAY HENDERSON

Jun 22, 1994, 2:39:40 PM6/22/94

Careful there, Rob...Lord knows what'll happen the next time the IBM/Amiga
wars start up again. :)

Verlin

James Cooper

Jun 22, 1994, 6:33:06 PM6/22/94

In article <2u9dsp$p...@NE3995.rabo.nl>, rob...@rabo.nl (Rob Janssen) writes:
>In <1994Jun21.222952.1@clstac> gdrue...@csupomona.edu writes:
>:I know of a P.E.T. Emulator for the Vic-20 Computer. It emulators the original
>:4k P.E.T. Computer by Commodore on a Vic-20. Now, if you have a modern
>:computer such as an Amiga/IBM, and are able to get a Vix-20 emulator, then I
>:suppose you can then emulate P.E.T. on the Vic emulator. This would be th
>:elong way around...
>
>:Anyhow, The onyl computer that I know to have a vix-20 emulator is the Amiga,
>:though the IBm night have one, but I have never heard of one...
>
>So, make an Amiga emulator for the IBM PC and you can... well, you get
>the idea :-)

Or, just get an Amiga, and let the PET emulation run in the Vic-20
emulator *while* the IBM PC emulator is running in another window, along
with the MAC emulator, the Atari XL emulator, etc., etc., etc. ... ain't
multitasking wonderful? :-)

--
---------------
Jim Cooper

Any opinions expressed herein are mine (Mine, all mine! Ha, ha, ha!),
and not necessarily those of my employer.

Remember, "Euphemisms are for the differently brained."

Rob Janssen

Jun 23, 1994, 9:05:02 AM6/23/94
In <CrtL...@unx.sas.com> ja...@cdevil.unx.sas.com (James Cooper) writes:

>Or, just get an Amiga, and let the PET emulation run in the Vic-20
>emulator *while* the IBM PC emulator is running in another window, along
>with the MAC emulator, the Atari XL emulator, etc., etc., etc. ... ain't
>multitasking wonderful? :-)

Oops... I forgot to realize that there may be Amiga fans reading along,
to whom the Amiga is the best computer ever made, and multitasking is
something "wonderful".
Note that not all IBM PCs run MSDOS, and that multitasking is hardly
anything noteworthy since about 20 years.

Rob

Marat Fayzullin

Jun 23, 1994, 1:08:11 PM6/23/94
Rob Janssen (rob...@rabo.nl) wrote:

Here we go :) Another Amiga VS IBM war :)))

Amiga DOES have a lot of different emulators and you ARE able to run
them concurrently and it IS beatiful IMHO. As to IBM, we yet need to
see an emulator which wouldn't grab your entire machine preventing
you from doing anything else on it. Seriously, folks, did anybody
try to experiment with emulators under OS/2 or some other multitasking
shit IBM has? I know that xzx runs well on BSD Unixes [Unixen? :)]
for PC, but are there any emulators running in multitasking mode under
OS/2 or [let's say this terrible name] Windows NT?

Marat Fayzullin [FMS]
Still waiting for MSX emulator for Amiga and GameBoy emulator for
*anything*.

: Rob

Jeff Hunsinger

Jun 23, 1994, 10:42:11 AM6/23/94
Actually, there's a PET emulator for the Commodore 64. There's also a C64 emulator
for the IBM. You can grab it from either ftp.funet.fi or ccnga.uwaterloo.ca

Jeff

Michael O'Brien

Jun 23, 1994, 3:29:39 PM6/23/94
f...@wam.umd.edu (Marat Fayzullin) writes:
> As to IBM, we yet need to see an emulator which wouldn't grab your entire
> machine preventing you from doing anything else on it. Seriously, folks,
> did anyone try to experiment with emulators under OS/2 or some other
> multitasking shit IBM has?

Yes, I've written an emulator which is a Windows program, and it multitasks
just fine.

Mike

Paul J Hollander

Jun 23, 1994, 4:49:15 PM6/23/94
In article <CrtL...@unx.sas.com> ja...@cdevil.unx.sas.com (James Cooper) writes:

>In article <2u9dsp$p...@NE3995.rabo.nl>, rob...@rabo.nl (Rob Janssen) writes:
>>In <1994Jun21.222952.1@clstac> gdrue...@csupomona.edu writes:
>>:I know of a P.E.T. Emulator for the Vic-20 Computer. It emulators the original
>>:4k P.E.T. Computer by Commodore on a Vic-20. Now, if you have a modern
>>:computer such as an Amiga/IBM, and are able to get a Vix-20 emulator, then I
>>:suppose you can then emulate P.E.T. on the Vic emulator. This would be th
>>:elong way around...
>>
>>:Anyhow, The onyl computer that I know to have a vix-20 emulator is the Amiga,
>>:though the IBm night have one, but I have never heard of one...
>>
>>So, make an Amiga emulator for the IBM PC and you can... well, you get
>>the idea :-)

Commodore came out with a PET emulator that ran on the C64. I've got one
(somewhere in my dusty boxes of 64 software). Transactor Mag printed a very
short BASIC prg that would let you load PET BASIC programs into a 64. It
mostly just shifted the start of BASIC address to the PET address. Want that?
BTW, CBM's PET emulator mostly did the same thing. ML programs had to be
translated to the C64 equivalent.

I think a Toaster Box can be attached to an IBM PC. That would emulate an
Amiga perfectly. 8-)

>Or, just get an Amiga, and let the PET emulation run in the Vic-20
>emulator *while* the IBM PC emulator is running in another window, along
>with the MAC emulator, the Atari XL emulator, etc., etc., etc. ... ain't
>multitasking wonderful? :-)

Sure is. Just wish the cpu between my ears would multitask enough to let me
rub my head and pat my belly at the same time. 8-)

Paul Hollander phol...@iastate.edu
Behold the tortoise: he makes no progress unless he sticks his neck out.

Greg Alt

Jun 23, 1994, 3:26:31 PM6/23/94
In article <2ucfhr$s...@cville-srv.wam.umd.edu> f...@wam.umd.edu (Marat Fayzullin) writes:
>Amiga DOES have a lot of different emulators and you ARE able to run
>them concurrently and it IS beatiful IMHO. As to IBM, we yet need to
>see an emulator which wouldn't grab your entire machine preventing
>you from doing anything else on it. Seriously, folks, did anybody
>try to experiment with emulators under OS/2 or some other multitasking
>shit IBM has? I know that xzx runs well on BSD Unixes [Unixen? :)]
>for PC, but are there any emulators running in multitasking mode under
>OS/2 or [let's say this terrible name] Windows NT?

This brings up two questions that I've had... What emulators are
available that run under X-Windows?

The second question... Does anyone have a FAQ that lists available
emulators, the systems they run on, and where they can be obtained?

I think this would be very useful for this group, and it shouldn't
be too difficult to write.

Greg

Jeff Jonas

Jun 23, 1994, 11:19:48 PM6/23/94
In article <2tsc5m$g...@nexus.uiowa.edu> jo...@pyrite.cs.uiowa.edu

by rus...@alpha3.ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Russell Schulz):
>> (copied to a.f.c)
>> ma...@netcom.com (Mark Lentczner) writes:
>>> I've begun work on an IBM 1401 emulator. ...
>> does anyone have old software? does anyone have any way to read it?
>
>I have a deck of microfiche that claims to be a complete assembly listing
>of the IBM 1130 operating system, including the FORTRAN compiler and other
>related stuff. Presumably someone out there has hoarded similar bits
>for other old iron.

Sigh - I used an IBM system 1130 in college and it was an eloquent
design - the instruction format was so nice.
An emulator would *HAVE* to simulate the front panel-o-blinkenlights.
The really fun manual was the one with the flowcharts for every INSTRUCTION!
Yes - follow along the machine cycle by cycle!
I still have a few manuals and the machine instruction cards.
It was a GREAT way to learn machine architecture - nothing was hidden.

>How to recover the data? Kurzweil makes great reading machines, and others
>are on the market. If we can use one to read the fiche and make ASCII from
>it, then all we need to do is write filters to strip off the irrelevant
>stuff and leave us with reconstructed source files. Other filtering on
>an assembly listing might even be able to reconstruct object files (no
>guarantee, since not all the object file structure makes it into many
>assembly listing formats).
> Doug Jones
> jo...@cs.uiowa.edu

Yeepers - you make it sound - plausable.
Getting all the software into a moderm readable form is the first step -
the machine simulator is needed and if you use, say, a PC under DOS
you can use the native I/O routines to replace the raw I/O of the
1130's disk monitor system.

By the way, I have a card with Autocoder mnemonics
should I need to re-use my dad's old programs!
--
Jeffrey Jonas
je...@panix.com

jcooper on BIX

Jun 24, 1994, 11:49:12 AM6/24/94
rob...@rabo.nl (Rob Janssen) writes:

<sigh>

Your message had a "smiley" on it, so I (quite mistakenly, it appears) assumed
you would take my message in the same spirit in which I took yours...

True, multitasking has been around even longer than I've been mixed up in the
computer business (which is *longer* than 20 years, BTW!), but different
implementations have different "feels" to them.

Besides, why am I even responding? You are obviously quite defensive about your
system, and I shouldn't be causing you this stress... sorry.

Ken Udut

Jun 23, 1994, 9:10:31 PM6/23/94
> Still waiting for MSX emulator for Amiga and GameBoy emulator for
> *anything*.

I believe there is a GameBoy emulator for Super NES, but I'm not sure.
I'm not a game-person, but I think I saw a commercial for it. Keep your
eyes peeled on "Toys 'R' Us" advertisments, if you get them.

--
Ken Udut : Send me E-Mail requesting addition to the Optimism Digest :
Composer/Performer (Piano) on Union Records (NJ, USA) : Listowner of

William R. Ward

Jun 25, 1994, 1:03:59 PM6/25/94
In article <1994Jun21.222952.1@clstac>, gdrue...@csupomona.edu writes:
) I know of a P.E.T. Emulator for the Vic-20 Computer. It emulators the original
) 4k P.E.T. Computer by Commodore on a Vic-20. Now, if you have a modern
) computer such as an Amiga/IBM, and are able to get a Vix-20 emulator, then I
) suppose you can then emulate P.E.T. on the Vic emulator. This would be th
) elong way around...

If you're interested in Commodore 8-bit emulators, check out
comp.emulators.cbm. I think mainly there are just C-64 emulators, but
I think there may be a VIC-20 or PET emulator available somewhere.

--Bill.

--
William R Ward __o __o 1803 Mission St. #339
Bay View Software and Consulting _-\<,-\<,_ Santa Cruz CA 95060 USA

Chris Fred Moates

Jun 26, 1994, 10:12:29 AM6/26/94
>I know of a P.E.T. Emulator for the Vic-20 Computer. It emulators the ori
>4k P.E.T. Computer by Commodore on a Vic-20. Now, if you have a modern

Well, there is one for the C-64 as well...called, surprise, "PET EMULATOR". It
emulates any PET (just about), as well as BASIC 4.0.

Chris Fred Moates

Jun 26, 1994, 10:17:30 AM6/26/94
>> So, make an Amiga emulator for the IBM PC and you can... well, you get
>> the idea :-)
>Careful there, Rob...Lord knows what'll happen the next time the IBM/Amiga
>wars start up again. :)

I'd rather not see those...I have an Amiga and I do like it very much, but
I don't start wars with it. But anyway, I had a very neat experience the other
day with emulators...From my Amiga, I ran a Mac emulator, which ran a PC
emulator, which ran a C64 emulator, which ran a VIC-20 emulator, which ran a
4K PET emulator. (I just had to see how many layers of emulators I could
have at one time :)

Chris Fred Moates

Jun 26, 1994, 10:21:06 AM6/26/94
>Still waiting for MSX emulator for Amiga and GameBoy emulator for
>*anything*. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How about a Gameboy emulator for the Amiga? There is one, but the file format
it uses is currently unknown...

Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen

Jun 26, 1994, 1:53:55 PM6/26/94
pur...@shell.portal.com (Chris Fred Moates) writes:

>I'd rather not see those...I have an Amiga and I do like it very much, but
>I don't start wars with it. But anyway, I had a very neat experience the other
>day with emulators...From my Amiga, I ran a Mac emulator, which ran a PC
>emulator, which ran a C64 emulator, which ran a VIC-20 emulator, which ran a
>4K PET emulator. (I just had to see how many layers of emulators I could
>have at one time :)

Appears to me you have just a single CPU emulator running in all these.
(680x0 running a 6502) This means probably that the PET ran quite well,
but just to satisfy my curiosity, could you estimate the speed of the
PET "machine"?

Regards,
--
Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen
ra...@imada.ou.dk "HTML is a SGML DTD".

Russell Alphey

Jun 27, 1994, 2:49:59 AM6/27/94
Greg Alt <ga...@asylum.cs.utah.edu> wrote:

>The second question... Does anyone have a FAQ that lists available
>emulators, the systems they run on, and where they can be obtained?

There is an FAQ for comp.emulators.cbm (Emulators of CBM machines). It can
be found in comp.emulators.announce and comp.emulators.cbm on a monthly
basis, around the 5th.

It's also available on a number of ftp sites (of hand I can't recall which :(

Email me if you want a copy (I'm now the maintainer).

Ralphey.

--
| You are now the proud recipient of a genuine Ralphey .sig! |
| Accept no imitations! |

Paul M. Liss

Jun 28, 1994, 4:12:45 PM6/28/94
In article <7AZ2kqo7...@ritz.mordor.com> ku...@ritz.mordor.com (Ken Udut) writes:
>> Still waiting for MSX emulator for Amiga and GameBoy emulator for
>> *anything*.
>
>I believe there is a GameBoy emulator for Super NES, but I'm not sure.
>I'm not a game-person, but I think I saw a commercial for it. Keep your
>eyes peeled on "Toys 'R' Us" advertisments, if you get them.

There is a Game Boy emulator for the Amiga. I ran Tetris on it and it
worked fine.

Paul
Launchpad is an experimental internet BBS. The views of its users do not
necessarily represent those of UNC-Chapel Hill, OIT, or the SysOps.

Dave Smythe

Jun 29, 1994, 12:49:24 AM6/29/94
In article <2udjck$9...@panix.com>, Jeff Jonas <je...@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <2tsc5m$g...@nexus.uiowa.edu> jo...@pyrite.cs.uiowa.edu
> (Douglas W. Jones,201H MLH,3193350740,3193382879) writes:
>
>Sigh - I used an IBM system 1130 in college and it was an eloquent
>design - the instruction format was so nice.
>An emulator would *HAVE* to simulate the front panel-o-blinkenlights.

I was telling my Dad about working on a Verilog simulation and how
nice it was to be able to see what was happening down inside the
CPU, and he told me that when he was at ERA (later Univac) that
Seymour Cray had, after hours, programmed a similar simulation of
the machine that they were building at the time. It would display
the machine's internal state and all of the front panel lights,
and could be advanced a clock cycle at a time. An amazing part of
this was that it was all written in machine code (octal, I'd guess)
and in about 1956 or so...

I guess Cray wrote a paper about it and got some recognition at the
time for the innovation.

Dave Smythe N6XLP dsm...@netcom.com (also dsm...@cs.stanford.edu)
"If you're haptic and you know it, clap your hands! x/~ x/~"

Eric Boon

Jun 29, 1994, 8:05:06 AM6/29/94
In <1994Jun26.1...@imada.ou.dk> ra...@imada.ou.dk (Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen) writes:

>pur...@shell.portal.com (Chris Fred Moates) writes:

[...]

>>...From my Amiga, I ran a Mac emulator, which ran a PC
>>emulator, which ran a C64 emulator, which ran a VIC-20 emulator, which ran a
>>4K PET emulator. (I just had to see how many layers of emulators I could
>>have at one time :)

>Appears to me you have just a single CPU emulator running in all these.
>(680x0 running a 6502) This means probably that the PET ran quite well,

No. You have a M680x0 emulating a I80x8/I80x86 emulating a 6510 etc...
But it's not just about emulating the CPU. You have to emulate
-peripheral hardware (Video/Audio)
-I/O
-interrupts (timing!!)
etc.
So, my guess is that the final PET is quite slow

ciao,

--
Eric.
er...@cs.kun.nl | [PRINCIPLE] Your program should not crash.
| -"Programming the user interface"

Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen

Jun 29, 1994, 10:27:59 AM6/29/94
er...@cs.kun.nl (Eric Boon) writes:

>In <1994Jun26.1...@imada.ou.dk> ra...@imada.ou.dk (Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen) writes:

>>pur...@shell.portal.com (Chris Fred Moates) writes:
> [...]
>>>...From my Amiga, I ran a Mac emulator, which ran a PC
>>>emulator, which ran a C64 emulator, which ran a VIC-20 emulator, which ran a
>>>4K PET emulator. (I just had to see how many layers of emulators I could
>>>have at one time :)

>>Appears to me you have just a single CPU emulator running in all these.
>>(680x0 running a 6502) This means probably that the PET ran quite well,

>No. You have a M680x0 emulating a I80x8/I80x86 emulating a 6510 etc...
>But it's not just about emulating the CPU. You have to emulate
>-peripheral hardware (Video/Audio)
>-I/O
>-interrupts (timing!!)
>etc.
>So, my guess is that the final PET is quite slow

Oops. I missed the PC part. (Nasty habit of mine :-() Still, As I see
it, there is basically only two CPU' emulators (unless the CPU in a PET
wasn't a 6502) -- and even the O/S overhead shouldn't have that much of
an influence. When comparing the speed of a rapid Amiga to an aged PET,
there is quite a factor down to the original speed, so I still want to
know how fast the PET simulation ran.

Eric Boon

Jun 29, 1994, 2:10:41 PM6/29/94
['bout stackin' some emulators]

>Oops. I missed the PC part. (Nasty habit of mine :-()

But fully understandable :-)
PC's are best overlooked! :-)

simp...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2017, 12:49:28 AM7/12/17
Yes it exists. It took me 23 years to reply.

Here's the ROM.

https://www.emuparadise.me/Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_(SNES)_ROMs/Super_Game_Boy_(World)/35671

Kenneth Udut, 23 years later.

mobilema...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2017, 11:34:36 PM7/12/17
Got a fix for ST19? HAhaHa!

mobilema...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2017, 11:38:56 PM7/12/17
Sweet....Hard to believe it's been 23 yrs. Got the fix for ST19 DTV Emulator? Lol. Or seen any cards programming for DISH On Or ETC? That's only reason I signed up here to begin with.