New VICE removes configuration file entry by itself

Andreas Kohlbach

Jul 1, 2023, 8:31:43 PM7/1/23
With the release upgrade from Debian Linux 11 to 12 VICE was also
upgraded. Now version 3.7.1. With 3.5.0 the following problem didn't
exist.

First start of x64 produced an error message (sorry, I didn't saved it),
but also said that it can be ignored if there are no problems. To get rid
of the message I was advised to save the config file. So I did.

Next start x64 would terminate, citing a missing kernal rom

| C64MEM: Error - Couldn't load kernal ROM `kernal-901227-03.bin'.
| Error - Machine initialization failed.

Sure enough, there was no entry in the vicerc pointing to
/usr/lib/vice/data/C64/ , which has the kernal, basic and chargen
files. So I added the line

KernalName="/usr/lib/vice/data/C64/kernal"

manually. I started x64 and it worked.

Then I did some changes and when done, saved the config file again. Next
start it again complained about that it cannot load the kernal file. A
look into the config revealed my changes were added, but my manual added
line

KernalName="/usr/lib/vice/data/C64/kernal"

removed! I repeated it three times. Every time the line vanished from the
file. I have no idea what's going on.
--
Andreas

https://news-commentaries.blogspot.com/