DEVICE NOT PRESENT ERROR

Andreas Kohlbach

Jun 29, 2011, 5:45:55 PM6/29/11
Sorry for shouting in the subject, but the C64 shouts by default. ;-)

I installed a new Linux (Debian Squeeze) and with it the VICE
version. No, I not want to compile a newer version. ;-)

As usually on Debian some firmware files are missing, like kernal or
basic, so I transferred them from my other computer. While at least Ubuntu
came (? not sure anymore) with it. Why?

How ever, while attaching tape images works, it does not work with disk
images. In Vice (in the C64, the blue screen :-) it says "DEVICE NOT
PRESENT ERROR", and when I go to to menu to the option to configure what
type of drive there is only "None" and the rest of the menu grayed
out. But it lets me attach disk images otherwise.

I already copied the content of the directory "DRIVES" from my old
computer to the new VICE installation.

What is missing?
--
Andreas
My Commodore 64 classic game music page at

Anssi Saari

Jun 30, 2011, 1:59:27 AM6/30/11
Andreas Kohlbach <june11.2...@spamgourmet.com> writes:

> I installed a new Linux (Debian Squeeze) and with it the VICE
> version. No, I not want to compile a newer version. ;-)

Well, how about using Spiro's repository since he updated it to have
Vice 2.3 some time ago? See http://www.trikaliotis.net/debian

And no, I don't know what's missing in the Debian packages.

Spiro Trikaliotis

Jun 30, 2011, 4:25:10 PM6/30/11
Hello,

Anssi Saari wrote:

> Andreas Kohlbach <DELETED> writes:
>
>> I installed a new Linux (Debian Squeeze) and with it the VICE
>> version. No, I not want to compile a newer version. ;-)
>
> Well, how about using Spiro's repository since he updated it to have
> Vice 2.3 some time ago? See http://www.trikaliotis.net/debian

That should be an option, yes.

> And no, I don't know what's missing in the Debian packages.

They are missing the firmware. That's because Debian considers them to
be non-free. To be honest, they have a point here. ;)

Regards,
Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis http://opencbm.sf.net/
http://www.trikaliotis.net/ http://www.viceteam.org/

Andreas Kohlbach

Jun 30, 2011, 8:14:21 PM6/30/11
Spiro Trikaliotis wrote on 30. June 2011:

> Anssi Saari wrote:
>
>> Andreas Kohlbach <DELETED> writes:
>>
>>> I installed a new Linux (Debian Squeeze) and with it the VICE
>>> version. No, I not want to compile a newer version. ;-)
>>
>> Well, how about using Spiro's repository since he updated it to have
>> Vice 2.3 some time ago? See http://www.trikaliotis.net/debian
>
> That should be an option, yes.

I should... I'll have a look at the weekend.

>> And no, I don't know what's missing in the Debian packages.
>
> They are missing the firmware.

Any idea what specific? I just copied all of /usr/lib/vice/C64/ over to
the new machine. Still same error.

Is it a good idea to just copy all of /usr/lib/vice/ over to the new
computer?

> That's because Debian considers them to be non-free. To be honest, they
> have a point here. ;)

I agree. But why don't other distribution maintainer care?

Andreas Kohlbach

Jul 1, 2011, 10:41:30 PM7/1/11
Spiro Trikaliotis wrote on 30. June 2011:

> Anssi Saari wrote:
>
>> Andreas Kohlbach <DELETED> writes:
>>
>>> I installed a new Linux (Debian Squeeze) and with it the VICE
>>> version. No, I not want to compile a newer version. ;-)
>>
>> Well, how about using Spiro's repository since he updated it to have
>> Vice 2.3 some time ago? See http://www.trikaliotis.net/debian
>
> That should be an option, yes.

That I added now and installed your version. The problem persists.

Now I also have no full screen anymore. But that might co-incident with
the fact I activated Metacity on Gnome.

I forgot to mention earlier that x64 also accept no key stokes. I cannot
type in the C64. Although the menus to control it work.

Antti Kultanen

Jul 2, 2011, 10:58:24 AM7/2/11
On 2011-07-01, Andreas Kohlbach <june11.2...@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
>> They are missing the firmware.
> Any idea what specific? I just copied all of /usr/lib/vice/C64/ over to
> the new machine. Still same error.

The ones in /usr/lib/vice/DRIVES/

--
Microsoft Corp is prohibited from redistributing this work

Andreas Kohlbach

Jul 2, 2011, 10:25:21 PM7/2/11
Antti Kultanen wrote on 02. July 2011:

> On 2011-07-01, Andreas Kohlbach <june11.2...@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
>>> They are missing the firmware.
>> Any idea what specific? I just copied all of /usr/lib/vice/C64/ over to
>> the new machine. Still same error.
>
> The ones in /usr/lib/vice/DRIVES/

I copied it too, no change.

What is also strange is that it doesn't react to any key stokes; typing
in the C64 screen and nothing happens.
--
Ank

Greg King

Jul 3, 2011, 12:53:17 AM7/3/11
On Jul 2, 10:25 pm, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
> Antti Kultanen wrote on 02. July 2011:

> >> Any idea what specific? I just copied all of /usr/lib/vice/C64/ over to
> >> the new machine. Still same error.
>
> > The ones in /usr/lib/vice/DRIVES/
>
> I copied it too, no change.
>
> What is also strange is that it doesn't react to any key strokes; typing
> in the C64 screen, and nothing happens.

The PRINTER/ subdirectory also has ROM files.

The drive-type setting is ignored when "True Drive Emulation" (TDE) is
turned off. In fact, VICE even de-activates the drive-type menu on
some host platforms while TDE is off. (And, of course, the drive ROMs
aren't used, then.)

I have had "DEVICE NOT PRESENT ERROR" problems -- sometimes. Setting
"Real IEC Device" sometimes works around that issue. At other times,
I must disable the IDE64 emulation (the new 0.91 Beta version of
IDEDOS doesn't work well with my old revision of Unix VICE).

Do the other emulated Commodore machines ignore your typing?

Andreas Kohlbach

Jul 3, 2011, 9:41:31 PM7/3/11
Greg King wrote on 03. July 2011:

> On Jul 2, 10:25�pm, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
>> Antti Kultanen wrote on 02. July 2011:

>> > The ones in /usr/lib/vice/DRIVES/
>>
>> I copied it too, no change.
>>
>> What is also strange is that it doesn't react to any key strokes; typing
>> in the C64 screen, and nothing happens.
>
> The PRINTER/ subdirectory also has ROM files.
>
> The drive-type setting is ignored when "True Drive Emulation" (TDE) is
> turned off. In fact, VICE even de-activates the drive-type menu on
> some host platforms while TDE is off. (And, of course, the drive ROMs
> aren't used, then.)

Wow, disabling that (I needed to do it 3 times until it was accepted...)
works. Now disk images load.

> I have had "DEVICE NOT PRESENT ERROR" problems -- sometimes. Setting
> "Real IEC Device" sometimes works around that issue. At other times,
> I must disable the IDE64 emulation (the new 0.91 Beta version of
> IDEDOS doesn't work well with my old revision of Unix VICE).
>
> Do the other emulated Commodore machines ignore your typing?

No.

But launching x64 from the console rather than clicking the icon showed
an error message that it cannot load a keymap file. I manually loaded it
and now it works.

I assume pointing the "working directory" to where I have the C64 images
was a mistake. I will play with it to see to solve other issues.

Thanks Greg for pointing me into the right direction. :-)

All US guys have a nice 4th of July!

Greg King

Jul 4, 2011, 6:41:23 PM7/4/11
On Jul 3, 9:41 pm, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
> Greg King wrote on 03. July 2011:
>
> > Do the other emulated Commodore machines ignore your typing?
>
> No.
> But, launching x64 from the console, rather than clicking the icon, showed
> an error message that it cannot load a keymap file. I manually loaded it,

> and now it works.
>
> I assume pointing the "working directory" to where I have the C64 images
> was a mistake. I will play with it to see to solve other issues.

VICE needs to get the drive and printer files, as well as the files
for each Commodore model. Therefore, you should try pointing to the
data directories' parent directory. The emulator will dive into
"C64/", "PRINTER/", and "DRIVES/" when it needs their files.

Andreas Kohlbach

Jul 4, 2011, 8:05:39 PM7/4/11

Yep, I shouldn't have changed that.

Can you or somebody else tell me, what the default path for the "working
directory:" was? I seem not to come up with a solution using a search
engine. :-(

Eighties Seeker

Aug 16, 2023, 3:47:21 PM8/16/23
On Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 5:45:55 PM UTC-4, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
> Sorry for shouting in the subject, but the C64 shouts by default. ;-)
> I installed a new Linux (Debian Squeeze) and with it the VICE
> version. No, I not want to compile a newer version. ;-)
> As usually on Debian some firmware files are missing, like kernal or
> basic, so I transferred them from my other computer. While at least Ubuntu
> came (? not sure anymore) with it. Why?
> How ever, while attaching tape images works, it does not work with disk
> images. In Vice (in the C64, the blue screen :-) it says "DEVICE NOT
> PRESENT ERROR", and when I go to to menu to the option to configure what
> type of drive there is only "None" and the rest of the menu grayed
> out. But it lets me attach disk images otherwise.
> I already copied the content of the directory "DRIVES" from my old
> computer to the new VICE installation.
> What is missing?

Hello from 12 years in the future. ;-)

I had the same error message again - and found this 12 year old discussion.

Besides VICE's config file destroying itself when saving after a Debian distribution upgrade (I'll send in a bug report via the Debian bug tracker if this persists after the next VICE update), this time I also had to add:

DosName1541="/usr/lib/vice/DRIVES/dos1541"
Drive8Type=1541

to the ~/.config/vicerc to get the 1541 running.

All good. Just wondering, because before the major distribution upgrade it worked.
--
Andreas

1970s and 1980s arcade games https://ankman.de/