[VICE] Music on emulated drives?

Brandon Taylor

Mar 22, 2020, 9:22:33 PM3/22/20
I seem to recall there was at least one Commodore 64 program that lets you play music using your 1541 disk drive(s), but I can't remember the name of it. What was it, and more important, will it work the same way on VICE?

Robert Roland

Mar 23, 2020, 4:12:08 AM3/23/20
On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 18:22:32 -0700 (PDT), Brandon Taylor

>I seem to recall there was at least one Commodore 64 program that lets you play music using your 1541 disk drive(s), but I can't remember the name of it. What was it, and more important, will it work the same way on VICE?

It was often referred to as simply "Drive Music". If you Google "1541
Drive Music", you should get started.

Interestingly, you could turn off the computer while the music was
playing. The program was running entirely in the 1541.
--
RoRo

Brandon Taylor

Mar 23, 2020, 9:36:57 AM3/23/20
Got it. It's a little bit tricky, but it does work in VICE. After the knocking sound (which I assume is meant to sound like a conductor tapping his baton), the emulated C64 will say "ready." and the 1541 will start playing in monotone. In VICE, an extra step is needed to hear the drive sing -- you need to execute LOAD"*",8,1 as if you were loading a BASIC program. The C64 will accept no other input after that, until you hit the RUN/STOP + RESTORE key combination (which, for me, is emulated by pressing ESC + PAGE UP).

Now I just wish someone would make the 1541 play the Cheetahmen theme... ;)

Anssi Saari

Mar 25, 2020, 3:25:18 AM3/25/20
Andreas Kohlbach <a...@spamfence.net> writes:

> Back in the day, and I wonder how he got this information, a friend with
> a C64 and 1541 (myself only had a datasette) was able to load a program
> into the 1541. Turning the computer off and on again, the 1541 would load
> this program into the C64 and start it, without touching the C64.

It seems unlikely at least with a stock C64. Easy enough with a cart or
modified KERNAL.

Anssi Saari

Mar 31, 2020, 3:50:20 PM3/31/20
Andreas Kohlbach <a...@spamfence.net> writes:

> I can't clearly remember, what he exactly did. Umm, can the 1541 sense
> when a connected (stock) C64 is switched on?

I think that much is possible but the C64 is master on the bus. Even if
the 1541 started sending data I think the C64 would ignore it.