Rust mode for XEmacs?

Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson

Jun 13, 2020, 5:38:10 AM6/13/20
Dear c.e.xemacs,

Is there anyone using XEmacs and Rust? Apparently, the Rust project
has a mode for Emacs 25, but that's probably not going to work with
XEmacs out of the box.

Is there any XEmacs specific effort out there?

[Is there even anyone reading this newsgroup?]

--
Johann | email: invalid -> com | www.myrkraverk.com/blog/
I'm not from the Internet, I just work there. | twitter: @myrkraverk

Thorsten Bonow

Jun 13, 2020, 4:51:33 PM6/13/20

> Dear c.e.xemacs, Is there anyone using XEmacs and Rust?
> Apparently, the Rust project has a mode for Emacs 25, but that's
> probably not going to work with XEmacs out of the box.

Good evening,

I had a quick lock at it. Installed the Debian XEmacs21 packages,
downloaded rust-mode.el. It didn't load, so I started loading
additional libraries it required, copied from my GNU Emacs tree:
rx.el, pcase.el, macroexp.el. No luck. Had a look at
rust-mode.el and realized it required lexical binding. Checked
the XEmacs documentation[1]. It appears XEmacs has some features
in that direction, but coding is required, you can't just set a
variable to enable it. And then do the same for all the libraries
needed---I stopped after three, could be a long daisy-chain. So
my guess is that you have a long road ahead of you if you try to
make it work.

> Is there any XEmacs specific effort out there?

Is there any XEmacs effort out there? [Besides Steve Youngs'
SXEmacs?]

> [Is there even anyone reading this newsgroup?]

[Yes. But I took the plunge and abandoned XEmacs on Christmas Day
2008]

Toto

Footnotes:https://www.xemacs.org/Documentation/21.5/html/cl_4.html#Variable-Bindings
[1]

--
Sent from my GNU Emacs running on GNU/Linux

Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson

Jun 13, 2020, 10:42:09 PM6/13/20
On 14/06/2020 4:51 am, Thorsten Bonow wrote:
>> [Is there even anyone reading this newsgroup?]
>
> [Yes.  But I took the plunge and abandoned XEmacs on Christmas Day 2008]
> Toto

Well, in 2020 I'm still using it, both XEmacs and this newsgroup. So I
haven't taken the plunge yet. Reason being that none of the
alternatives seem attractive to me.

Oh well, Rust is not that important to me yet, I can still hold off
abandoning XEmacs for a little bit more.

Brian Downing

Jun 16, 2020, 5:47:25 AM6/16/20
Thorsten Bonow <to...@not-in-kansas-anymore.org> writes:

>> [Is there even anyone reading this newsgroup?]
>
> [Yes. But I took the plunge and abandoned XEmacs on Christmas Day
> 2008]

Yes. But I took the plunge and abandoned XEmacs in 2019, no special day

EMACS now offers all I want or need, no need to stick with a dying,
deprecated application.

Julian Bradfield

Jun 16, 2020, 3:50:01 PM6/16/20
On 2020-06-13, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson <joh...@myrkraverk.invalid> wrote:
> Is there anyone using XEmacs and Rust? Apparently, the Rust project

Not me.

> [Is there even anyone reading this newsgroup?]

Yup. Still using my circa 2007 Unicode-internal fork of XEmacs 21.4 :)
It meets my needs.