What has more elisp code: GNU Emacs or Xemacs?

Akshay

Mar 7, 2020, 11:15:22 AM3/7/20

I have read online that Xemacs is faster than Emacs because more of it is written in C. Is this true? My question is - which editor has more elisp code in its codebase: Emacs or Xemacs?

Regards,
Akshay

Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson

Apr 17, 2020, 12:37:28 PM4/17/20
On 08/03/2020 12:15 am, Akshay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have read online that Xemacs is faster than Emacs because more of it is written in C. Is this true? My question is - which editor has more elisp code in its codebase: Emacs or Xemacs?

Both are written in C, though the internals are different. I don't know
which one should count as more elisp; Emacs doesn't seem to different-
iate between core editor elisp and extensions.

It could be the case that XEmacs has more C code than Emacs, but it also
has features not in Emacs: gutters, specifiers, extents. All of these
are implemented in C. In particular, extents have been described as
slower than the "equivalent" in Emacs.

So, I don't think amount of C code has any bearing on the speed. You're
best off making your own benchmarks, if you can.

--
Johann | email: invalid -> com | www.myrkraverk.com/blog/
I'm not from the Internet, I just work there. | twitter: @myrkraverk