Problem building 21.4.1 on Solaris 7 Ultra 5

Steve Woodard

Sep 25, 2001, 4:19:51 PM9/25/01
I am able to get trough a build with some problems, and xemacs seems to run
more or less OK from the src directory. However after I run "make install"
and run xemacs from /usr/local/bin it doesn't run well at all...

When run from /usr/local/bin, I don't get any icons on the buttons, and I
get this error message at the bottom of the GUI -
Error in init file: Symbol's function definition is void: custom-set-faces

When I try and get into the viper mode I get this error message -
Cannot open doc string file "/usr/local/sparc-sun-solaris2.7/DOC"
Which true enough, the DOC directory doesn't exist.

When I run xemacs from the compiled location (buildtreetop/src) I get my
icon pictures, and I am able to get into viper mode successfully.

The problems seem to start when I build the application-
The first time I run make (after a make clean), the compile runs for a long
time and pukes with this error-
Finding pointers to doc strings...
Finding pointers to doc strings...done
Dumping under the name xemacs
unexec(): dldump(/usr/local/src/xemacs-21.4.1/src/xemacs): ld.so.1:
./temacs: fatal: /usr/local/src/xemacs-21.4.1/src/xemacs: unknown dynamic
entry: 1879048176
make[1]: *** [xemacs] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/xemacs-21.4.1/src'
make: *** [src] Error 2

Not knowing what to do, and getting the same results after several attempts
(running make clean between each) I just ran make again without a "make
clean" and the build seems to finish. At least I don't get any more
errors... The fact that make pukes shortly after the "Finding pointers to
doc strings..." message and I get the 'Cannot open doc string file..."
message in the application makes me think the problems are related...
astute of me ehhh?

When I launch xemacs from an xterm window I get these messages (from the
install path)-
# xemacs&
28540
#
WARNING:
Couldn't find obvious defaults for:
lisp-directory
Perhaps some directories don't exist, or the XEmacs executable,
/usr/local/bin/xemacs
is in a strange place?Warning: Cannot convert string
"<Key>Escape,_Key_Cancel" to type VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>Home,_Key_Begin" to type VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>F1,_Key_Help" to type VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "Shift<Key>F10,_Key_Menu" to type
VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>F10,Shift_Key_Menu" to type
VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>KP_Enter,_Key_Execute" to type
VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "Alt<Key>Return,Alt_Key_KP_Enter" to type
VirtualBinding

I'm not sure where to go from here to correct this problem... hopefully I've
laid out enough detailed information here that some kind soul can point me
in the right direction.

Thanks,
Steve
steve....@arrisi.com

Robert Pluim

Sep 26, 2001, 11:55:42 AM9/26/01
"Steve Woodard" <steve....@arrisi.com> writes:

> Finding pointers to doc strings...done
> Dumping under the name xemacs
> unexec(): dldump(/usr/local/src/xemacs-21.4.1/src/xemacs): ld.so.1:
> ./temacs: fatal: /usr/local/src/xemacs-21.4.1/src/xemacs: unknown dynamic
> entry: 1879048176
> make[1]: *** [xemacs] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/xemacs-21.4.1/src'
> make: *** [src] Error 2
>
> Not knowing what to do, and getting the same results after several attempts

If you look in xemacs-21.4.1/PROBLEMS, and search for dldump, you will
find the following entry (I really wish there was a better way to point
people to the PROBLEMS file. The XEmacs core dump message does, but
it's not produced in this case :-( )

** SunOS/Solaris
*** Dumping error when using GNU binutils / GNU ld on a Sun.

Errors similar to the following:

Dumping under the name xemacs unexec():

dldump(/space/rpluim/xemacs-obj/src/xemacs): ld.so.1: ./temacs:
fatal: /space/rpluim/xemacs-obj/src/xemacs: unknown dynamic entry:
1879048176

are caused by using GNU ld. There are several workarounds available:

In XEmacs 21.2 or later, configure using the new portable dumper
(--pdump).

Alternatively, you can link using the Sun version of ld, which is
normally held in /usr/ccs/bin. This can be done by one of:

- building gcc with these configure flags:
configure --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld --with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as

- adding -B/usr/ccs/bin/ to CFLAGS used to configure XEmacs
(Note: The trailing '/' there is significant.)

- uninstalling GNU ld.

The Solaris2 FAQ claims:

When you install gcc, don't make the mistake of installing
GNU binutils or GNU libc, they are not as capable as their
counterparts you get with Solaris 2.x.

Robert