vim colour schemes

mechanic

Apr 2, 2022, 7:27:48 AM4/2/22
Lots of options here - https://vimcolorschemes.com -
but no clear instructions on installing. As usual in these things
there are links to a tangle on github, but no clean list of the
scheme that can be copied into a local system here.

Any pointers/experience on installation of these schemes?

Lewis

Apr 2, 2022, 8:57:57 PM4/2/22
I wih that site allowed more filtering, I only want to see setups with
BLACK backgrounds, not those mushy 'dark' greys and blues.

--
"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to
the dictionary." - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway).

Andreas Kempe

Apr 5, 2022, 6:15:24 PM4/5/22
I've been using a slightly modified version of a colour scheme named
Duna for a number of years. Normally, installing them isn't more
difficult than dropping the theme file in ~/.vim/colors/$name.vim and
setting setting the colour scheme with :colorscheme $name.

mechanic

Apr 6, 2022, 7:30:07 AM4/6/22
If only it were that simple! I just tried again with the
'everforest' scheme, which was the first in the list. Deep into the
site I found a .vim file, but dropping that into the colors folder
and setting it resulted in lots of error messages, not just
objecting to a dos/unix file mixup but raising errors appearing to
be because of scripting in the .vim file that the program doesn't
like. No instructions visible on the site at all.

Lewis

Apr 6, 2022, 9:05:09 AM4/6/22
Click on the bold name EverForest. On that page it shows the sample
images and on the right said, it says "View Project on GitHub" which
links to:

<https://github.com/sainnhe/everforest>

On that page is a link to Documentation

<https://github.com/sainnhe/everforest/blob/master/doc/everforest.txt>

which includes instructions on how to use and install the theme,
including how to install it in a plugin manager, a pack, and manually.

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"Oh, I think so, Brain! But doing a clog dance in actual clogs will

mechanic

Apr 6, 2022, 12:34:17 PM4/6/22
Thanks, Lewis, I found that. Accessing git in Windows means
installing yet another program just to download the important vim
file. If I ever reinstalled cygwin or setup a Linux boot alternative
I may take this further, but really it's a lot of fuss just to set
some colours up in vim.

I also found https://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=5803
which may offer an alternative route to the colo(u)rs file.

Lewis

Apr 6, 2022, 6:24:14 PM4/6/22
The manual instructions should be what you use them, But I only deal
with Windows when I am getting paid for dealing with Windows.

--
O is for OLIVE run through with an awl
P is for PRUE trampled flat in a brawl

Andreas Kempe

Apr 6, 2022, 8:43:17 PM4/6/22
Yes, evergreen was a lot more complicated than the themes I've been
dealing with previously and as Lewis pointed out there are
instructions available. Another example theme
https://github.com/NLKNguyen/papercolor-theme appears to be as simple
as putting the PaperColor.vim file into ~/.vim/colors.

Making themes complex enough to warrant a plugin manager seems
excessive to me, but there are probably complex features in that theme
I'm not aware of, nor have any inclination to investigate, that
require scripting.

Lewis

Apr 7, 2022, 7:05:12 PM4/7/22
Plugin managers are just a convenience, they are not necessary. A lot of
people use them (I find them more trouble than they are worth, myself),
so instructions on how to install via one are included, but the manual
instructions are quite straightforward (assuming you know where those
directories are in Windows, I don't).

(Plugin Managers are used for more than just color themes).

--
One of the most basic rules of survival on any planet is never to
upset someone wearing black leather. --The Last Continent

Andreas Kempe

Apr 9, 2022, 8:00:45 PM4/9/22
I use Vundle myself for handling my plugins so I wasn't really
questioning plugin managers as such. It's just that all the themes
I've used were a single file dropped in the colors directory and they
haven't had dependencies complex enough to really require the plugin
manager. Taking a second look at evergreen, it seems the theme
integrates with a few other plugins and that's why the manager is
recommended so I can understand why a that is.

Since I haven't ever felt the need for a fancy status bar or other
graphical features besides syntax highlighting in colours I like, this
has never been an issue for me.