Vim: Earliest Vim Posting

14 views
Skip to first unread message

david rayner

unread,
Sep 18, 2002, 5:12:13 AM9/18/02
to
Hi VIMites

Due to the resurfacing on an ancient VIM thread (Sept 93) (see recent
posting with just the title VIM), Peppe did a search for the earliest
posting for VIM, which seems to have started life on the fabled Amiga.

The earliest I could find was 21st Feb 1992 (see below)

From: paul.l.bidwell (pa...@cbnewsk.att.com)
Subject: Can I use DOS with VIM as a shell?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.applications
View: (This is the only article in this thread) | Original Format
Date: 1992-02-21 06:50:17 PST

I've just started experimenting with the VI editor VIM from the FF
disks.
(It's real nice to use the same editor at home and at work!).

VIM supports the :! command, but requires a shell to be defined for
that
to happen. I'm only running the standard shell that comes with ADOS.
(I don't have csh, ksh, etc.)
How can I use that with VIM? What do I specify with the command:

:set shell=????

Paul Bidwell
AT&T Bell Labs
pa...@alux2.att.com

If you do your own search watch out for VIM Vendor Independent
Messaging
and VIM the detergent powder!!

zzapper

Lee Webb

unread,
Sep 21, 2002, 9:01:58 AM9/21/02
to
On 18 Sep 2002 02:12:13 -0700, david rayner wrote:
> Hi VIMites
>
> Due to the resurfacing on an ancient VIM thread (Sept 93) (see recent
> posting with just the title VIM), Peppe did a search for the earliest
> posting for VIM, which seems to have started life on the fabled Amiga.
>
> The earliest I could find was 21st Feb 1992 (see below)
>
> From: paul.l.bidwell (pa...@cbnewsk.att.com)
> Subject: Can I use DOS with VIM as a shell?
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.applications
> View: (This is the only article in this thread) | Original Format
> Date: 1992-02-21 06:50:17 PST
>
>
What about the following?
(Turned off Google's filtering of similar posts.)

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&th=b9c297fbddc8d299&rnum=1

Lee.

From: rvl...@cv.ruu.nl (Ronald van Loon)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.misc,comp.sys.amiga.applications
Subject: VI for Amiga - FOUND !
Keywords: vi, vi, vi, not emacs, vi, vi, vi
Message-ID: <1992Feb18.1...@cv.ruu.nl>
Date: 18 Feb 92 15:03:11 GMT
Sender: use...@cv.ruu.nl (Usenet Network)
Organization: University of Utrecht, 3D Computer Vision Research Group
Lines: 22
Originator: rvloon@odin
Nntp-Posting-Host: odin


Well, the first answers I got to my quest for the One Real Editor were
me-toos. Luckily I got the following answers:

- stevie_*.lzh can be found on ab20. Lacks some features and has some
limitations.

- elvis.lzh is also floating around; found it on a ftp-side in Germany; didn't
work for me, as it tries to load /etc/termcap - which happens to be a
totally valid UNIX-filename, but not an AMIGA-dos one.

- Some people mentioned the 'Z' editor, from Manx. Couldn't get it anywhere
though so wasn't able to test it

- yesterday, someone mentioned, 'VIM' to be found on a Fish-disk. I FTP'ed it
straight away, took a look at it yesterday at 11pm and it looked real good -
even the macros worked ! Fishdisk 591.

--
Ronald van Loon (rvl...@cv.ruu.nl) 3DCV Group, Utrecht, The Netherlands.

Insanity is not bad in itself as long as there is a system to it. (H.Liberg)
Healthy absurdism once in a while has never hurt anybody (me)


Oscar del Rio

unread,
Sep 22, 2002, 11:19:28 AM9/22/02
to

"Lee Webb" <lee...@colossus.leewebb.not> wrote:
> On 18 Sep 2002 02:12:13 -0700, david rayner wrote:
> > The earliest I could find was 21st Feb 1992 (see below)
> >
> > From: paul.l.bidwell (pa...@cbnewsk.att.com)
> > Subject: Can I use DOS with VIM as a shell?
> > Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.applications
> > View: (This is the only article in this thread) | Original Format
> > Date: 1992-02-21 06:50:17 PST
> >
> >
> What about the following?
>
> From: rvl...@cv.ruu.nl (Ronald van Loon)
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.misc,comp.sys.amiga.applications
> Subject: VI for Amiga - FOUND !
> Keywords: vi, vi, vi, not emacs, vi, vi, vi
> Message-ID: <1992Feb18.1...@cv.ruu.nl>
> Date: 18 Feb 92 15:03:11 GMT
> Sender: use...@cv.ruu.nl (Usenet Network)
> Organization: University of Utrecht, 3D Computer Vision Research Group
> Lines: 22
> Originator: rvloon@odin
> Nntp-Posting-Host: odin

Or this one from the day before... 17 Feb 92
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=9202171542.AA02195%40judy.indstate.edu

========
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.i-amiga
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1992 10:42:50 -0500
Sender: Info-Amiga List <I-A...@RUTVM1.BITNET>
From: Arc Wave <a...@JUDY.INDSTATE.EDU>
Subject: Fish 591-600

This is disk 591 of the freely distributable AMIGA software library.
Below is a listing of the significant directories and their contents.

[snip]

Vim Vi IMitation. A clone of the UNIX text editor "vi". Very
useful for editing programs and other plain ASCII text.
Based on Stevie (disk 256) with many enhancements such as
multilevel undo, command line history, improved command line
editing, full vi compatibility (except Q and zn commands),
command typeahead display, command to display yank buffers,
unlimited line length, ability to edit binary files, file
name stack, support for Manx QuickFix, shows current file
name in window title, etc. Internal storage structures
have been redesigned for optimal speed and memory usage.
Version 1.14, includes source.
Author: Bram Moolenaar, et. al.
==========


david rayner

unread,
Sep 22, 2002, 6:26:32 PM9/22/02
to
"Oscar del Rio" <del...@mie.utoronto.ca> wrote in message news:<H2uIp...@mie.utoronto.ca>...

> "Lee Webb" <lee...@colossus.leewebb.not> wrote:
> > On 18 Sep 2002 02:12:13 -0700, david rayner wrote:


From Bram's own history

The development of Vim (Vi IMproved) started in 1988 as a small program for
the Amiga, used by one person. It is now included with every Linux
distribution and has been given an award for the best open-source text editor.
This article will discuss the current status of Vim, placing it in the context
of the past and the future.

So there's plenty of time to find earlier posts (but I've failed!!)

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages