Multiple window VI

Amir Vafaei

Oct 13, 1994, 3:53:17 PM10/13/94

The title says it all? Is there such a beast? Thanks for any pointers..

-Amir

Stephen Riehm

Oct 14, 1994, 6:01:00 AM10/14/94
>The title says it all? Is there such a beast? Thanks for any pointers..

Here's one which works very well, and is the most vi compatible clone
I have yet found. It is also still being enhanced, so features like
mouse usage under X, which aren't there now, should appear in the not
too distant future. (Next year some time probably)

Steve

Title: vim
Version: 3.0
editor vi. Many new features have been added: multi level undo,
command line history, filename completion, block operations,
multiple windows, interactive compilation, text formatting, etc.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
An MS-DOS binary is available as well.
Author: Amool...@mukla.gn.apc.org (Bram Moolenaar)
Maintained-by: Amool...@mukla.gn.apc.org (Bram Moolenaar)
Public-Relations: ln_...@pki-nbg.philips.de (Stephen Riehm)
Primary-site: ftp.FU-Berlin.DE
/pub/unix/editors/vim/vim-3.0.tar.gz 468 kB
(Complete source and doc's)
/pub/pc/msdos/editors/vim/vim30bin.zip 270 kB
(MS_DOS binary and doc's)
/pub/pc/msdos/editors/vim/vim30src.zip
(MS_DOS sources)
/pub/misc/editors/vim/amiga/vim30bin.lha
(Amiga binary and doc's)
/pub/misc/editors/vim/amiga/vim30src.lha
(Amiga sources)
Alternate-site: sunsite.unc.edu
468 kB /pub/Linux/apps/editors/vim-3.0.tar.gz
(Complete source and doc's)
/pub/Linux/apps/editors/vim-3.0.lsm
Japan Site: oskgate0.mei.co.jp
/free/others/Editors/vim-3.0.tar.gz
(Complete source and doc's)
jvim2.0p+onew2.2.8.tar.gz
(vim2.0 - Japanese)
Platform: UNIX, MS-DOS, Amiga
Copying-policy: CharityWare (author encourages making a contribution to charity)

Tom Christiansen

Oct 14, 1994, 8:26:00 AM10/14/94
:-> In comp.editors, am...@cronus.empros.com (Amir Vafaei) writes:
:
:The title says it all? Is there such a beast? Thanks for any pointers..

You should get the Berkeley rewrite of AT&T vi, which is for now called
nvi. It's unbelievably compatible with old vi -- more so than any clone
you've ever seen --, has many bug fixes and enhancements, and yes,
supports multiple windows.

ftp.cs.berkeley.edu:/ucb/4bsd/nvi.tar.Z

--tom
--
Let's give out a bootable, stand-alone version of GNU emacs, then come
back in 9 months and find whoever's using it -- and kill them.

Marty Leisner 25733

Oct 15, 1994, 2:34:07 PM10/15/94
Amir Vafaei (am...@cronus.empros.com) wrote:

: The title says it all? Is there such a beast? Thanks for any pointers..

: -Amir

Well, nvi has a split...(to split a screen...)

--
marty
lei...@sdsp.mc.xerox.com

T.E.Dickey

Oct 16, 1994, 12:42:51 PM10/16/94
Marty Leisner 25733 (leisner@gemini) wrote:
: Amir Vafaei (am...@cronus.empros.com) wrote:

: : The title says it all? Is there such a beast? Thanks for any pointers..

: : -Amir

: Well, nvi has a split...(to split a screen...)

Vile's the best of the multiple-window vi-clones, though vim's more vi-like.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
dic...@clark.net

Tom Christiansen

Oct 16, 1994, 6:26:38 PM10/16/94
:-> In comp.editors, dic...@explorer.clark.net (T.E.Dickey) writes:

:Marty Leisner 25733 (leisner@gemini) wrote:
:: Amir Vafaei (am...@cronus.empros.com) wrote:
:
:: : The title says it all? Is there such a beast? Thanks for any pointers..
:
:: : -Amir
:
:: Well, nvi has a split...(to split a screen...)
:Vile's the best of the multiple-window vi-clones, though vim's more vi-like.

How do you measure goodness?

I measure it as bugfree, predictable, COMPATIBLE, convenient, fast,
and then and only then do i start looking for enhancements.

--tom

Kevin Buettner

Oct 18, 1994, 3:25:23 AM10/18/94
Tom Christiansen (tch...@mox.perl.com) wrote:

You have a good list, but all of the items on your list are irrelevant
if the package in question is difficult to build. I took a look at (the
directory tree at least) to nvi a few months back and it looked to be a
non-trivial build especially given that I would want to build it on a
number of different platforms. As I recall, there was a Makefile and at
least one other configuration file that needed to be modified and
adapted for the target environment. Not a big deal a couple a years
back, but it should be much easier now. A configuration script created
by GNU autoconf or possibly dist would make it much easier to build.

On the other hand, when I first took a look at vile and xvile last
January, I found that I had a running editor in under twenty minutes
after I downloaded it. :-) The currently released version does not use
GNU autoconf, but the Makefile has a fairly clean structure which makes
building vile easy on all of the platforms that I have access to.
Upcoming versions of vile will use a configuration script generated by
GNU autoconf and should be even easier to build.

I cannot comment on the merits of nvi as applied to your list (bugfree,
predictable, COMPATIBLE, convenient, fast) since I have not used it. I
will say that vile and xvile have more than amply met all of your
criteria for me. When I started looking around on the net earlier this
year for a vi-clone, I, like the original poster, wanted a vi compatible
editor which had multiple windows. I had the further requirement that
the editor be X windows aware. xvile was and is so far the only editor
that I've found which met my criteria.

- Kevin Buettner

Amir Vafaei

Oct 18, 1994, 12:08:23 PM10/18/94
Stephen Riehm (ln_...@pki-nbg.philips.de) wrote:

: Here's one which works very well, and is the most vi compatible clone

: I have yet found. It is also still being enhanced, so features like
: mouse usage under X, which aren't there now, should appear in the not
: too distant future. (Next year some time probably)

Lots of good information deleted...

Thanks for all the replies, both through mail and news. I got a hold of nvi's
source and compiled it on our IBM RS/6000, but unfortunately it core dumps.
Looking through the code, it seemed to me that it had problem getting
information about the tty and also curses problems. Since many people seem to
be using it on other platforms, I am assuming there is something wrong with
the curses library on the IBM, or at least our copy of it.

So, I will try vim now, and hope it compiles and runs on our machine.

Thanks for all the help again, and if any one can shed light on the nvi problem,
please let me know.

-Amir
---

Empros Systems International Facility Code: PLY008
2300 Berkshire Lane North email: am...@empros.com
Plymouth, MN 55441-3694 phone: (612) 553-4424

Tom Christiansen

Oct 19, 1994, 9:50:17 AM10/19/94
:-> In comp.editors, k...@primenet.com (Kevin Buettner) writes:
:You have a good list, but all of the items on your list are irrelevant

:if the package in question is difficult to build. I took a look at (the
:directory tree at least) to nvi a few months back and it looked to be a
:non-trivial build especially given that I would want to build it on a
:number of different platforms.

If you look in the PORT directory, you'll see that it comes with
canned configurations for these systems, at least one of which is likely
to be close enough to yours to give you a chance:

aix.3.2 hpux.8.07 motorola.r40 solaris.2.2 sunos.5.2 unixware.1.1
bsd.4.4 hpux.9.01 osf.1.0.2 solaris.2.3 sunos.5.3 wgs6386.s5r4
bsdi.1.0 hpux.9.03 osf.1.3 solaris.2.4 sunos.5.4
bsdi.1.1 irix.4.05F osf.2.0 sunos.4.1.1 ultrix.4.2
dgux.5.4 irix.5.2 ptx.2.0 sunos.4.1.2 ultrix.4.3
freebsd.1.1 linux sinix.5.41 sunos.4.1.3 ultrix.4.4

--tom

T.E.Dickey

Oct 20, 1994, 7:09:07 PM10/20/94
Tom Christiansen (tch...@mox.perl.com) wrote:

uh, it's a little unkosher to list all of those versions, since for the most
part one need only port to the lowest version in a series, and the successors
are 99% compatible -- beyond the level at which you'd notice problems in a
port.

I did build nvi on sunos, but found that it didn't manage the screen nearly
so well as vim. -- sorry, but _vim_ is the most vi-like of the clones, of
which nvi is an example.

Tom Christiansen

Oct 20, 1994, 7:59:15 PM10/20/94
:-> In comp.editors, dic...@explorer.clark.net (T.E.Dickey) writes:
:I did build nvi on sunos, but found that it didn't manage the screen nearly

:so well as vim. -- sorry, but _vim_ is the most vi-like of the clones, of
:which nvi is an example.

Listen, if you don't report what the screen problem is, it
can't get fixed. And what version are you using? I'm using
nvi 1.36.

There are a zillion things that vim doesn't follow vi
in which nvi does. I'll list a few if you really want.
If you consider nvi is a vi clone, then nawk is an awk clone.

--tom
--
Tom Christiansen Perl Consultant, Gamer, Hiker tch...@mox.perl.com

When in doubt, mumble.

Volker Kurz

Oct 21, 1994, 4:46:51 AM10/21/94
Tom Christiansen (tch...@mox.perl.com) wrote:

: ...(some stuff deleted)...
: can't get fixed. And what version are you using? I'm using
: nvi 1.36.

Where did you get that from?
The latest on ftp.cd.berkeley.edu is 1.34.
That version doesn't behave too well under AIX 4.1,
as I stated in another post to this newsgroup.

: There are a zillion things that vim doesn't follow vi

: in which nvi does. I'll list a few if you really want.

I am not the original poster, but I "really want". :-)

--
Dr. Volker Kurz | J.W.Goethe-Universitaet
ku...@math.uni-frankfurt.de | Fachbereich Mathematik

Jean-Max Reymond

Oct 25, 1994, 4:19:33 AM10/25/94
In article <ln_smr.7...@pki-nbg.philips.de>, Stephen Riehm <ln_...@pki-nbg.philips.de> writes:
|> >The title says it all? Is there such a beast? Thanks for any pointers..
|>
|> Here's one which works very well, and is the most vi compatible clone
|> I have yet found. It is also still being enhanced, so features like
|> mouse usage under X, which aren't there now, should appear in the not
|> too distant future. (Next year some time probably)
|>
|> Steve
|>
|> Title: vim
|> Version: 3.0
|> editor vi. Many new features have been added: multi level undo,
|> command line history, filename completion, block operations,
|> multiple windows, interactive compilation, text formatting, etc.
|> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't understand this proselytism for vim. It seems that some vi
compatible clone have at least the vim features. For example, xvile has
also infinite level undo, command line history, filename completion, block

operations, multiple windows, interactive compilation, text formatting,

etc... and supports the mouse usage under X. It has also windows with
scrollbars. Why are you still waiting for existing features?

-- Jean-Max Reymond

Email : J.M.X....@frcl.bull.fr
Phone : (33) 1 30 80 71 78 Bulltel: 23-77178
Fax : (33) 1 30 80 79 50 Bullfax: 23-77950

Address: BULL SA (CL F6-1G-05)
Rue Jean Jaures
B.P. 68
78340 Les Clayes-sous-Bois