JOVE - How do you keymap VT100 arrow keys?

Alan Coopersmith

Jun 27, 1991, 5:27:59 PM6/27/91
I would like to use my VT100 arrow keys in jove instead of the built-ins
(^N, ^P, ^F, ^B). To do this, I tried putting the following in my .joverc
file:

make-keymap vt102-map
bind-keymap-to-key vt102-map ^[[
bind-to-key next-line ^[[B
bind-to-key previous-line ^[[A
bind-to-key forward-character ^[[C
bind-to-key backward-character ^[[D

I got this listing from Section 16.25 of the "JOVE Manual for UNIX Users"
(by Jonathon Payne, revised for 4.3BSD by Doug Kingston & Mark Seiden).

Here's the catch - This doesn't work on the version of JOVE installed here
on the OCF Machines (Version 4.9). Sourcing the file gives an error of:
["bind-keymap-to-key" unknown]

Trying to manually bind the keys (by typing M-X bind-to-key next-line ^[[B)
results in a binding to M-[, so that pushing any arrow key move down a line
and inserts A, B, C, or D (depeding on which arrow).

Is there any way to fix this? How?

Please email al...@ocf.berkeley.edu and I will post a summary if there is
interest.

----------------------
Alan Coopersmith
al...@ocf.berkeley.edu
----------------------

Richard Kooijman

Jun 28, 1991, 9:34:14 AM6/28/91
al...@ocf.berkeley.edu (Alan Coopersmith) writes:

>Here's the catch - This doesn't work on the version of JOVE installed here
>on the OCF Machines (Version 4.9). Sourcing the file gives an error of:
> ["bind-keymap-to-key" unknown]

>Trying to manually bind the keys (by typing M-X bind-to-key next-line ^[[B)
>results in a binding to M-[, so that pushing any arrow key move down a line
>and inserts A, B, C, or D (depeding on which arrow).

>Is there any way to fix this? How?

Yes, version 4.14 of Jove can do this. Available for ftp at simtel and
wuarchive. I believe that the version in msdos/editor(s) (?) has some
bugfixes by someone that wasn't envolved in the original development.

Richard.
--
Richard Kooijman | (__)
Delft University of Technology | (oo) -------------------------

Alan Coopersmith

Jun 28, 1991, 1:56:36 PM6/28/91
I received requests for a summary of what I found out so here goes:

There are 3 basic solutions (all of which are commands put in your
.joverc file):

1. Upgrade to version 4.14 (I was told 4.9 really means 4.09) and use:

> make-keymap vt100-map
> bind-keymap-to-key vt100-map ^[[

> bind-to-key next-line ^[[B
> bind-to-key previous-line ^[[A
> bind-to-key forward-character ^[[C
> bind-to-key backward-character ^[[D

2. Use this (not sure which version):

bind-to-key prefix-3 ^[[

bind-to-key next-line ^[[B
bind-to-key previous-line ^[[A
bind-to-key forward-character ^[[C
bind-to-key backward-character ^[[D

3. Stay with version 4.9 and use:

bind-to-key ansi-codes ^[[
bind-to-key ansi-codes ^[O

I will use #3 since it doesn't require bothering the overworked/unpaid
OCF staff to install a new version. It is also the simplest, but only
works with vt100/ANSI term types. If you want to do assign keys on a
vt220 or a Sun or anything else that doesn't use the vt100 key codes, you
need a version past 4.9. (To find out what version you have type M-X
version).

Thanks to those who sent these solutions to me:
mich...@copper.wr.tek.com (Michael D. Kersenbrock)
hu...@csri.toronto.edu (Hugh Redelmeier)
paulj@dike (Paul Jones)
ell...@frith.egr.msu.edu (Stew Ellis)

Tobias Rosenqvist

Feb 13, 2022, 10:00:56 AM2/13/22
On Friday, 28 June 1991 at 19:56:36 UTC+2, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> 3. Stay with version 4.9 and use:
> bind-to-key ansi-codes ^[[
> bind-to-key ansi-codes ^[O

(31 years later..)
Thank you for solution 3, adding it to my ~/.joverc works fine for me.
I'm playing with 2.11 BSD on an emulated PDP-11 under SIMH, it has jove 4.9.

% date ; uname -a
Sun Feb 13 15:44:27 CET 2022
BSD pdp11 2.11 2.11 BSD UNIX #10: Jun 3 15:04:24 PDT 2020

SIMH:
https://github.com/simh/simh

211bsd-pidp11:
https://github.com/chasecovello/211bsd-pidp11