Vim spell check: ignoring soft hyphens

Stan Brown

Dec 13, 2020, 2:09:15 PM12/13/20

Apologies if this is a basic question, but I've read the documentation
on selling multiple times and must be missing the answer.

Vim 7.4, running in Windows. I use only 8-bit characters, in Widows-
1252.

My question: I frequently use the soft hyphen (character 173, or 255
in octal). How can I tell Vim to ignore these characters for purposes
of spell check?

For example: I want Vim to consider "pur<173>pose" as a good word
because "purpose" is a good word.

Currently I handle this by putting "pur<173>pose" in my word list
file, but obviously I don't want to do that with every possible
hyphenation of every possible good word.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
https://OakRoadSystems.com/

Rob Solomon

Dec 25, 2020, 11:29:24 AM12/25/20
On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 11:09:19 -0800, Stan Brown
<the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

Did you ever find an answer?

Stan Brown

Dec 26, 2020, 10:37:45 AM12/26/20
On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 11:29:22 -0500, Rob Solomon wrote:

> Did you ever find an answer?

Have you seen one here? I sure haven't.

John McCue

Dec 26, 2020, 11:44:42 AM12/26/20
Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 11:29:22 -0500, Rob Solomon wrote:
>>
>> Did you ever find an answer?
>
> Have you seen one here? I sure haven't.

To be fair, some people would email you directly
instead of posting. It does not happen often, but
you never know. Also you may have found a solution
on your own.

So a fair question after a bit of time :)

Personally I have no issues with vim spell and
hyphens. The behaviour I have is the same as
yours.

Rob Solomon

Dec 27, 2020, 1:48:48 PM12/27/20
On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 16:44:40 -0000 (UTC), John McCue
<jmc...@jmclin1.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> wrote:

The official vim support list is at vim...@googlegroups.com
By official, I mean that Bram monitors it and posts there.

FYI

--Rob Solomon

>Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 11:29:22 -0500, Rob Solomon wrote:
>>>
>>> Did you ever find an answer?

Stan Brown

Dec 31, 2020, 2:19:36 PM12/31/20
On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 13:48:45 -0500, Rob Solomon wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 16:44:40 -0000 (UTC), John McCue
> <jmc...@jmclin1.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> wrote:
>

> The official vim support list is at vim...@googlegroups.com
> By official, I mean that Bram monitors it and posts there.

Thanks for the pointer, Rob. I have (reluctantly) joined and posted my
query.

Why reluctantly? Because mailing lists clutter up my inbox, and it's
much harder to follow threads than it is with Usenet.

Lewis

Dec 31, 2020, 5:09:22 PM12/31/20
In message <MPG.3a57c42be...@news.individual.net> Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 13:48:45 -0500, Rob Solomon wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 16:44:40 -0000 (UTC), John McCue
>> <jmc...@jmclin1.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>> The official vim support list is at vim...@googlegroups.com
>> By official, I mean that Bram monitors it and posts there.

> Thanks for the pointer, Rob. I have (reluctantly) joined and posted my
> query.

> Why reluctantly? Because mailing lists clutter up my inbox, and it's
> much harder to follow threads than it is with Usenet.

1) sort your mail into mailboxes (think 'newsgroups" and list mail will
not clutter your inbox.

2) Use address extensions to automatically sort your mail. For example,
subscribe to a vim list with the address "foo...@example.com". Most
email systems support this and will sort messages automatically into
folders if they match the extension. For example, fastmail says this:

https://www.fastmail.com/help/receive/addressing.html
#v+
Plus addressing means any email sent to
username+wha...@domain.tld is still sent to your account. This
means you can have a lot of variations on your email address to give out
to different people, sites, or mailing lists.

If the part after the + matches the name of one of your folders (see
below for how the matching works), the message will automatically be
delivered there instead of your Inbox, without needing to create a
rule.
#v-

I'd recommend reading that page if fastmail.fm is the same as
fastmail.com.

3) get an email client that supports showing threads (mail uses the
exact same mechanism to show threads, a References: header and a

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"I think so, Doctor. But are these really the legs of a show girl?"

Stan Brown

Jan 1, 2021, 8:19:56 AM1/1/21
On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 22:09:20 -0000 (UTC), Lewis wrote:
> In message <MPG.3a57c42be...@news.individual.net> Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > Why reluctantly? Because mailing lists clutter up my inbox, and
> > it's much harder to follow threads than it is with Usenet.
>
> 1) sort your mail into mailboxes (think 'newsgroups" and list mail will
> not clutter your inbox.
>
> 2) Use address extensions to automatically sort your mail. For

I have been doing those for years.

Lewis

Jan 1, 2021, 10:23:52 AM1/1/21
In message <MPG.3a58c15c1...@news.individual.net> Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 22:09:20 -0000 (UTC), Lewis wrote:
>> In message <MPG.3a57c42be...@news.individual.net> Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> > Why reluctantly? Because mailing lists clutter up my inbox, and
>> > it's much harder to follow threads than it is with Usenet.
>>
>> 1) sort your mail into mailboxes (think 'newsgroups" and list mail will
>> not clutter your inbox.
>>
>> 2) Use address extensions to automatically sort your mail. For

> I have been doing those for years.

Then your complaint about how lists clutter your inbox seem rather odd.

--
Anyhoo, they hung me. Fen out bitches.