backspace key not working in vim

NG_lurker

Jun 29, 2002, 6:51:40 AM6/29/02
I've upgraded recently to vim 6.1 from 5.8. My problem is my backspace key
is not working at all in insert mode. All i get is beeping when key is
pressed successively. I have to move the cursor to the left then use delete
key instead. This used to be no problem with my vim6 or vim 5.8.

One more thing i notice is the tab key no longer auto completing. This and
the backspace problem i get only in vim 6.1. In gvim version it is ok. What
to do with this?

--
Posting using Xnews
Change invalid to com to reach me by email

Peppe

Jun 30, 2002, 9:15:45 AM6/30/02
Thus wrote NG_lurker <jer...@mailandnews.invalid>

> I've upgraded recently to vim 6.1 from 5.8. My problem is my backspace key
> is not working at all in insert mode. All i get is beeping when key is
> pressed successively. I have to move the cursor to the left then use delete
> key instead. This used to be no problem with my vim6 or vim 5.8.

Which OS and vim flavour is this?

> One more thing i notice is the tab key no longer auto completing. This and
> the backspace problem i get only in vim 6.1. In gvim version it is ok. What
> to do with this?

This sounds like you did not keep you vimrc around (or edited the system
wide default vimrc of vim 5.8).

Actually, since the auto completion works in gvim, I am a bit puzzled.
Do you have a gvimrc but no vimrc?

Peppe
--
"Before you criticize someone, walk
Preben "Peppe" Guldberg __/-\__ a mile in his shoes. That way, if

NG_lurker

Jun 30, 2002, 2:37:05 PM6/30/02
On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Peppe wrote:

> Thus wrote NG_lurker <jer...@mailandnews.invalid>
> > I've upgraded recently to vim 6.1 from 5.8. My problem is my backspace key
> > is not working at all in insert mode. All i get is beeping when key is
> > pressed successively. I have to move the cursor to the left then use delete
> > key instead. This used to be no problem with my vim6 or vim 5.8.
>
> Which OS and vim flavour is this?

My box is RH7.2. Im not sure bout the flavor but i compiled vim6.1 from
source tarball as root. ITs now housed in /usr/local/bin.

> > One more thing i notice is the tab key no longer auto completing. This and
> > the backspace problem i get only in vim 6.1. In gvim version it is ok. What
> > to do with this?
>
> This sounds like you did not keep you vimrc around (or edited the system
> wide default vimrc of vim 5.8).
>
> Actually, since the auto completion works in gvim, I am a bit puzzled.
> Do you have a gvimrc but no vimrc?
>
> Peppe

Yes i have both. I retrieved it from the tar archive i created when
i reinstalled RH7.2. Should i post it?

Peppe

Jun 30, 2002, 2:41:23 PM6/30/02
Thus wrote NG_lurker <NG_l...@myrealbox.com.invalid>

> On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Peppe wrote:

> > Thus wrote NG_lurker <jer...@mailandnews.invalid>
> > > I've upgraded recently to vim 6.1 from 5.8. My problem is my backspace key
> > > is not working at all in insert mode. All i get is beeping when key is
> > > pressed successively. I have to move the cursor to the left then use delete
> > > key instead. This used to be no problem with my vim6 or vim 5.8.

> > Which OS and vim flavour is this?

> My box is RH7.2. Im not sure bout the flavor but i compiled vim6.1 from
> source tarball as root. ITs now housed in /usr/local/bin.

The flavour would be any specific details besides the defaults you
compiled in (plus possibly the gui version, if any) or a package you
might have installed (instead of compiling your own version).

Did you compile you vim 5.8 and 6.0 (right?) yourself or rely on RPMs?
If they where installed as packages, they may have set up a system vimrc
and gvimrc (I believe the RedHat RPMs do - in their own twisted way).

> > > One more thing i notice is the tab key no longer auto completing. This and
> > > the backspace problem i get only in vim 6.1. In gvim version it is ok. What
> > > to do with this?

> > This sounds like you did not keep you vimrc around (or edited the system
> > wide default vimrc of vim 5.8).

> > Actually, since the auto completion works in gvim, I am a bit puzzled.
> > Do you have a gvimrc but no vimrc?

> Yes i have both. I retrieved it from the tar archive i created when

> i reinstalled RH7.2. Should i post it?

Not necessarily. Try a minimal setup with these commands:

$ vim -u NONE -N
$ vim -u NONE -N -c fixdel
$ gvim -u NONE -U NONE -N

The will give you a (g)vim with default settings and 'compatible' turned
off (and execute the :fixdel command in the second example).

If these work as expected, try combing through your vimrc and gvimrc for
things that could interfere.

NG_lurker

Jun 30, 2002, 3:42:11 PM6/30/02
In article <slrnahji0e....@toy.guldberg.net.invalid>, Peppe wrote:
> Thus wrote NG_lurker <NG_l...@myrealbox.com.invalid>
>> On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Peppe wrote:
>
>> > Thus wrote NG_lurker <jer...@mailandnews.invalid>
>
>> > Which OS and vim flavour is this?
>
>> My box is RH7.2. Im not sure bout the flavor but i compiled vim6.1 from
>> source tarball as root. ITs now housed in /usr/local/bin.
>
> The flavour would be any specific details besides the defaults you
> compiled in (plus possibly the gui version, if any) or a package you
> might have installed (instead of compiling your own version).
>
> Did you compile you vim 5.8 and 6.0 (right?) yourself or rely on RPMs?
> If they where installed as packages, they may have set up a system vimrc
> and gvimrc (I believe the RedHat RPMs do - in their own twisted way).

vim 5.8 was the out-of-the-box version of RH7.2. What i compiled after
reinstallation was source tarball vim6.1 in tar bz file.

>> > This sounds like you did not keep you vimrc around (or edited the system
>> > wide default vimrc of vim 5.8).
>
>> > Actually, since the auto completion works in gvim, I am a bit puzzled.
>> > Do you have a gvimrc but no vimrc?
>
>> Yes i have both. I retrieved it from the tar archive i created when
>> i reinstalled RH7.2. Should i post it?
>
> Not necessarily. Try a minimal setup with these commands:
>
> $ vim -u NONE -N
> $ vim -u NONE -N -c fixdel
> $ gvim -u NONE -U NONE -N
>
> The will give you a (g)vim with default settings and 'compatible' turned
> off (and execute the :fixdel command in the second example).
>
> If these work as expected, try combing through your vimrc and gvimrc for
> things that could interfere.
>
> Peppe

Thanks for the tips the backspace is working now. Im using vim now as
editor for slrn and the backspace is fine. will definitely review my
.gvimrc and .vimrc files. Thanks.

Poul Jul Sørensen

Jul 1, 2002, 8:05:24 AM7/1/02

try ":help bs"
I'm quite convinced that will help you

HappyVimming

Poul Jul Sørensen

"NG_lurker" <jer...@mailandnews.invalid> wrote in message

NG_lurker

Jul 2, 2002, 7:24:28 AM7/2/02
"Poul Jul Sørensen" <p...@privat.dk> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> try ":help bs"
> I'm quite convinced that will help you
>
> HappyVimming

Hi Poul Jul Sørensen,

Thanks for the help tip. I will be looking at this definitely. Ciao.

NG_lurker

Jul 2, 2002, 3:30:25 PM7/2/02

Dear Peppe,

Sorry but i made a blunder. My backspace woe is still bugging me up to now
despite the advise you give. Please bear with a vim newbie. Apparently my
confirmation in my last post was short-lived. Anyway im seeking help
again. Here goes my best explanation to my problem:

say this is the line i want to edit.
^put cursor here then hit i for insert mode.
i hit backspace but no action, only beeping. then still in
insert mode i press delete key, i go out of insert mode
then l turns to uppercase. i keep pressing the del key and
all case turns to uppercase. when i hit the last letter of
line the letter is toggled upper/lower case.

i also placed the 'if &term == linux' as suggested by :he fixdel by no
result. Any more clues to my problem? TIA.

# #
# Linux user #224119 using PINE 4.44: News and Email #
# Client for Unix/Windows/Mac OS X. Get Pine free at #
# http://www.washington.edu/pine #
# #

Peppe

Jul 2, 2002, 4:05:51 PM7/2/02
Thus wrote NG_lurker <NG_l...@myrealbox.com.invalid>

> On 30 Jun 2002, NG_lurker wrote:

> > vim 5.8 was the out-of-the-box version of RH7.2. What i compiled after
> > reinstallation was source tarball vim6.1 in tar bz file.

Any way you can get to reinstall 5.8 and check the :version output for
compilation and linking options?

> > In article <slrnahji0e....@toy.guldberg.net.invalid>, Peppe wrote:

> > > $ vim -u NONE -N
> > > $ vim -u NONE -N -c fixdel
> > > $ gvim -u NONE -U NONE -N

> Sorry but i made a blunder. My backspace woe is still bugging me up to now

> despite the advise you give.

With the commands above? (Just double-checking.)

Does the problem occur with bith vim and gvim?

> Please bear with a vim newbie. Apparently my
> confirmation in my last post was short-lived. Anyway im seeking help
> again. Here goes my best explanation to my problem:

> say this is the line i want to edit.
> ^put cursor here then hit i for insert mode.
> i hit backspace but no action, only beeping. then still in
> insert mode i press delete key, i go out of insert mode
> then l turns to uppercase.

This looks like you backspace key is produsing a sequence like "<Esc>~"
(or similar - <Esc> to exit insert mode and ~ to change case).

What is inserted with "i<C-V><BS>" (three keys, second is CTRL-V). A
"^[" character is <Esc>, btw. You may have to remap this sequence.

Another way to check what key vim is with CTRL-K: "i<C-K><BS>".

> TIA.

Sorry, but no can do. This is getting tricky, so chances are that
someone could use hints and solutions later on.

NG_lurker

Jul 3, 2002, 1:08:01 AM7/3/02
Peppe <c92...@student.dtu.dk> wrote in

> Thus wrote NG_lurker <NG_l...@myrealbox.com.invalid>
>> On 30 Jun 2002, NG_lurker wrote:
>
>> > vim 5.8 was the out-of-the-box version of RH7.2. What i compiled
>> > after reinstallation was source tarball vim6.1 in tar bz file.

HI Peppe,
Sorry for this delayed response, it was late already last night.

> Any way you can get to reinstall 5.8 and check the :version output for
> compilation and linking options?

Reinstalling it is my only way to check :version output of vim 5.8. I have
it in my RH7.2 distro. (Dumb question), how do i install apps from a CD in
linux? :-)<OT>

>> Sorry but i made a blunder. My backspace woe is still bugging me up
>> to now despite the advise you give.
>
> With the commands above? (Just double-checking.)

Yes, exactly like them. The commands tell vim/gvim not to read existing [g]
vimrc files at startup, right? Did that in the command line, then opened a
file and checked the backspace action. Nada, no working.

> Does the problem occur with bith vim and gvim?

Yes both with vim and gui vim.

>> Please bear with a vim newbie. Apparently my
>> confirmation in my last post was short-lived. Anyway im seeking help
>> again. Here goes my best explanation to my problem:
>
>> say this is the line i want to edit.
>> ^put cursor here then hit i for insert mode.
>> i hit backspace but no action, only beeping. then still in
>> insert mode i press delete key, i go out of insert mode
>> then l turns to uppercase.
>
> This looks like you backspace key is produsing a sequence like
> "<Esc>~" (or similar - <Esc> to exit insert mode and ~ to change
> case).
>
> What is inserted with "i<C-V><BS>" (three keys, second is CTRL-V). A
> "^[" character is <Esc>, btw. You may have to remap this sequence.

Unfortunately, i cant check that right now as im in work and no one uses
Linux in the workplace. Indeed my backpace action is like what you said.
Will find this out later at home.

> Another way to check what key vim is with CTRL-K: "i<C-K><BS>".

Ditto as above.

> Sorry, but no can do. This is getting tricky, so chances are that
> someone could use hints and solutions later on.
>
> Peppe

It's alright. Hopefully some other Vimmer[s] will pitch in and shed more
light. Im thinking of unistalling 6.1 in my linux box and reinstalling it
again. Is this wise move? Problem is, i already rm the directory where i
run ./configure/make/make install. Im thinking like this in order to solve
(hopefully) this backspace problem.

Aadarsh patel

Nov 14, 2020, 8:01:27 AM11/14/20
yaa this is my problem too please if anybody know how to fix this problem reply to my message

Sven Guckes

Nov 16, 2020, 7:52:49 AM11/16/20
On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 05:01:25AM -0800, Aadarsh patel wrote:
> yaa this is my problem too please if anybody
> know how to fix this problem reply to my message

the code shows that we had decided to undo the
use of backspace for you on that very day. :-P

seriously - here are the usualy questions for investigation:
what was you goal? what did you do? what did you expect?
what happened then? were there any error messages?
can you repeat this? which version of vim do you use?

the backspace key on the keyboard is usually marked with "<=".
it should send of a backspace, ie a CTRL-H. does it do that? or
is there perhaps some setting on your maschine to give off a DEL?
please check in insert mode by typing CTRL-V, then a <backspace>.
you should see a "^H" in a special color.

Sven [pulling out an old signature for comp.editors]

--
Sven Guckes comp.editors(at)go.to http://go.to/comp.editors Popular Editors:
EMACS and clones: Xemacs, jed, joe, jove; VI and clones: nvi, vile, vim.

Eli the Bearded

Nov 16, 2020, 2:02:12 PM11/16/20
In comp.editors, Sven Guckes <usenet-2...@guckes.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 05:01:25AM -0800, Aadarsh patel wrote:
>> yaa this is my problem too please if anybody
>> know how to fix this problem reply to my message
> the code shows that we had decided to undo the
> use of backspace for you on that very day. :-P

I suspect, but can't know since Aadarsh included no details and no
quoting of the original, seemingly very old, message, that the issue
is not with backspace vs del but with one of the vim backspace
handling options. Aadarsh, see

:help 'backspace'

> Sven [pulling out an old signature for comp.editors]

It has been a while since I've seen you here.

> --
> Sven Guckes comp.editors(at)go.to http://go.to/comp.editors Popular Editors:

go.to considered harmless: that URL shortener seems dead, and everything
goes to flock.com now.

> EMACS and clones: Xemacs, jed, joe, jove; VI and clones: nvi, vile, vim.

I think elvis is more popular than vile now. I never hear of vile these
days, but elvis is the default vi in Slackware, still.

Elijah
------
gets annoyed with elvis quirks

gamo

Nov 17, 2020, 7:24:11 AM11/17/20
El 14/11/20 a las 14:01, Aadarsh patel escribió:
> yaa this is my problem too please if anybody know how to fix this problem reply to my message

Buy a new gamer keyboard, I suggest :-P

--
http://gamo.sdf-eu.org/
“Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer