gvim Manual in PDF

Nithin Nayak Sujir

Mar 27, 2002, 12:55:05 PM3/27/02
Is there a complete gvim manual in PDF which I can download?

Thanks,
Nithin.

601 Cross Street, (H) 979-846-9121
# 53, (O) 979-845-0531
College Station,
TX - 77840.

Ralf Merkel

Mar 28, 2002, 4:32:43 AM3/28/02
"Nithin Nayak Sujir" <nns...@cs.tamu.edu> wrote in news:a7t12k$9uq$1
@news.tamu.edu:

> Is there a complete gvim manual in PDF which I can download?

AFAIK no.

What's wrong with the text/HTML help available from
http://www.vim.org ?

You could also take the HTML as source to produce PS, for example
with html2ps (http://www.tdb.uu.se/~jan/html2ps.html), which in turn
can be converted to PDF (using GhostScript, http://www.cs.wisc.edu/
~ghost/).

Cheers,
Ralf

lang2

Mar 28, 2002, 8:41:57 AM3/28/02

"Ralf Merkel" <ralf_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Nithin Nayak Sujir" <nns...@cs.tamu.edu> wrote in news:a7t12k$9uq$1
> @news.tamu.edu:
>
> > Is there a complete gvim manual in PDF which I can download?

There is a vim reference
http://www.sci.ccny.cuny.edu/~olrcc/guidesource-0.6.tgz
in Latex source. It is fairly old(ver 5.8 I think) but it is extensive.

You can build a pdf file if you like from it.

Kenny McCormack

Mar 28, 2002, 8:58:07 AM3/28/02
In article <a7v6dl$tq$1...@kermit.esat.net>,

Speaking of various (old) vim references that are said to be laying around...

A few years ago, a friend of mine had a vim reference that was formatted
like a little pamphlet - that is, it was printed out on normal sized paper,
but then folded down to about a fourth the size of the full sheet, with all
the pages in the right place. It was really very helpful and convenient.

I think that creating this took a combination of a special Tex/Latex file
along with some printer magic (either a special "x-up" printing program
and/or a special printer or printer driver). All I know for sure is that
it was done on a Unix system, with a postscript printer.

I have not seen anything like it since, nor have I seen any references to it.
I'd really like to get another copy of it - anyone have any ideas/pointers
to where it might be?

lang2

Mar 28, 2002, 10:33:23 AM3/28/02

> Speaking of various (old) vim references that are said to be laying
around...

> A few years ago, a friend of mine had a vim reference that was formatted
> like a little pamphlet - that is, it was printed out on normal sized
paper,
> but then folded down to about a fourth the size of the full sheet, with
all
> the pages in the right place. It was really very helpful and convenient.
>
> I think that creating this took a combination of a special Tex/Latex file
> along with some printer magic (either a special "x-up" printing program
> and/or a special printer or printer driver). All I know for sure is that
> it was done on a Unix system, with a postscript printer.
>
> I have not seen anything like it since, nor have I seen any references to
it.
> I'd really like to get another copy of it - anyone have any ideas/pointers
> to where it might be?

That is exactly the file I am talking about here. I have that lovely booklet
right here on my desk. It was written by Oleg Raisky and Bram himself. A
lovely
booklet really. Yes it is in PS format but you don't need (at least as I
remember)
a fancy printer to have it. Even if you do, print on both sides is not
*that*
hard. You can do that on a Win32 platform as well, with GhostView.

It is a pity that they halt to maintain this booklet.

Maybe this thread will woke someone to continue this job? I would love to
myself
if I have the time and knowledge. :(

Nicolas Ecarnot

Mar 28, 2002, 11:30:27 AM3/28/02
Le Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:33:23 -0000,
lang2 <wzhliang...@postmaster.co.uk> disait :

>That is exactly the file I am talking about here. I have that lovely booklet
>right here on my desk. It was written by Oleg Raisky and Bram himself. A
>lovely
>booklet really.

Is it still available on internet ? Have you an URL ?

TIA

--
Nicolas Ecarnot

J'ai invente la montre a deux cadrans:
Le premier donne l'heure qu'il est,
le deuxieme nous dit quelle heure il sera dans une heure.
-- P. Geluck

dhig...@highley-recommended.com

Mar 28, 2002, 12:24:54 PM3/28/02
Nicolas Ecarnot <nicolas.p...@ecarnot.pas.de.spam.net> wrote:
> Le Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:33:23 -0000,
> lang2 <wzhliang...@postmaster.co.uk> disait :

>>That is exactly the file I am talking about here. I have that lovely booklet
>>right here on my desk. It was written by Oleg Raisky and Bram himself. A
>>lovely
>>booklet really.

> Is it still available on internet ? Have you an URL ?

I have an eight page PDF quick reference manual that I picked up off the
web. Unfortunately it does not have any reference as to version of Vim
nor a source of where the manual can be found. It has visual edit
commands but no commands for opening split windows. So I do not believe
it was written for version 6.0.

I concur that it would be very nice to have a quick reference multi fold
duplex printed document.

--

Regards,

David Highley Phone: (206) 669-0081
Highley Recommended, Inc. FAX: (253) 838-8509
2927 SW 339th Street Email: dhig...@highley-recommended.com
Federal Way, WA 98023-7732 WEB: http://www.highley-recommended.com

Robert Szczygiel

Mar 28, 2002, 12:16:18 PM3/28/02
Nithin Nayak Sujir wrote:
> Is there a complete gvim manual in PDF which I can download?

http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/

RobTM:)

lang2

Mar 28, 2002, 12:45:37 PM3/28/02

> Le Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:33:23 -0000,
> lang2 <wzhliang...@postmaster.co.uk> disait :
>
> >That is exactly the file I am talking about here. I have that lovely
booklet
> >right here on my desk. It was written by Oleg Raisky and Bram himself. A
> >lovely
> >booklet really.
>
> Is it still available on internet ? Have you an URL ?
>
> TIA
>
> --

hmmmm. I gave a link to the source file on my previous post. But later I
found the link
http://www.vim.org/refguide/
here providing ps and pdf file of a vim reference for version 5.6.

So maybe you want to check that out.

Lou Lesko

Mar 30, 2002, 12:40:21 AM3/30/02
The url for the quick reference card is
http://www.geocities.com/l.gregoire/vim.html

check it out and give the author some email thanking him its a nice
document.

Ralf Merkel

Apr 3, 2002, 2:39:54 AM4/3/02
Robert Szczygiel <Robert.S...@cern.ch> wrote in

> http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/

Everyday there's something new to learn (at least if you're with VIM)

:-)))

Ralf