[nvi] Dump :exu and :viu to file?

Ottavio Caruso

Jul 12, 2020, 3:52:11 PM7/12/20

In standard nvi (not Vim), typing :exu or :viu, you get, respectively, a
nice list of all ex and vi commands. Is there a way to dump this list to
a file?

The only workaround I know is to record a session with script and then
trying to remove all the garbage later.

Thanks

--
Ottavio Caruso

Eli the Bearded

Jul 12, 2020, 5:41:45 PM7/12/20
In comp.editors, Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In standard nvi (not Vim), typing :exu or :viu, you get, respectively, a
> nice list of all ex and vi commands. Is there a way to dump this list to
> a file?

https://repo.or.cz/nvi.git/blob/HEAD:/ex/ex_usage.c#l58

Looks like it just printf()s the stuff, so probably it can't be
redirected. That bit about newscreen does make it a little more
ambiguous, since that could be a way to have stuff redirected.

All of the usage info is in ex/ex_cmd.c if you want to parse it out of
the source, or write a program to print it for you.

Elijah
------
in vim, there's a more thorough :help system

sehnsucht

Feb 5, 2022, 11:49:00 AM2/5/22
Sul meriggio di 120720 19:52,
Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006...@yahoo.com> enarrava tali parole:
> In standard nvi (not Vim), typing :exu or :viu, you get, respectively, a
> nice list of all ex and vi commands. Is there a way to dump this list to
> a file?

There you go:
https://github.com/att/uwin/blob/master/src/cmd/nvi/docs/help

--
sehnsucht ~ http://sehnsucht.multics.org
gopher://tilde.pink:70/1/~snowcrash/

sehnsucht

Feb 7, 2022, 3:45:06 AM2/7/22
Sul meriggio di 060222 10:02,
Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006...@yahoo.com> enarrava tali parole:
> Grazie. Ma è il tuo fork di [n]vi o la documentazione ufficiale?

It's from the AT&T's POSIX API for Windows, which includes a nvi copy.
The doc is practically a :viu dump.

--
“Hell is empty and all the devils are here.„