Are there still a lot of DSL services?

Ant

Dec 19, 2015, 3:40:55 PM12/19/15
Hello.

It seems like less these days since phone companies don't want them
anymore like in my areas. :/

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Merry Christmas/Season's Greetings/:) Holidays & May The Force Be With U!
| |o o| |

Doug McIntyre

Dec 20, 2015, 1:21:30 AM12/20/15
ANT...@zimage.com (Ant) writes:
>It seems like less these days since phone companies don't want them
>anymore like in my areas. :/

You have to define for what area of the world. I assume the US?

The telco's have pretty much shut down almost all 3rd party ISPs
DSL services due to many reasons and factors. Most of them can be
traced back to the Brand X supreme court decision or that telco's
don't play fair.

Steeling customers, providing next to unsuable ULE's to any CLEC.
No longer reselling shared line access, etc. etc.

--
Doug McIntyre
do...@themcintyres.us

David H. Lipman

Dec 20, 2015, 9:07:06 AM12/20/15
> "Ant" wrote in message
>
> Hello.
>
> It seems like less these days since phone companies don't want them
> anymore like in my areas. :/
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

Yes, there is. Both direct and indirect.

My parents can't get FiOS so they are still on Verizon ADSL. That's a
direct use.

An indirect use use provides VDSL. An apartment complex receives coaxial or
fiber based content. In a CO of the building is a matrix of DSLAMs for each
apartment which uses POTs wiring to the apartments. Due to the relatively
short distance between a building's CO and the apartment furthest away, very
high speed DSL can be provided. This is less expensive and easier than
running FTTP or Coax to each apartment because the POTs is already in place.

As a transmission line, speed is a function of distance. The further away
one is to the CO, the slower the speed. So the inverse is true and that's
why VDSL is an indirect method used in apartment complexes.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Ant

Dec 21, 2015, 1:25:25 AM12/21/15
Doug McIntyre <mer...@dork.geeks.org> wrote:
> ANT...@zimage.com (Ant) writes:
> >It seems like less these days since phone companies don't want them
> >anymore like in my areas. :/

> You have to define for what area of the world. I assume the US?

Yeah, sorry. USA. :)

> The telco's have pretty much shut down almost all 3rd party ISPs
> DSL services due to many reasons and factors. Most of them can be
> traced back to the Brand X supreme court decision or that telco's
> don't play fair.

> Steeling customers, providing next to unsuable ULE's to any CLEC.
> No longer reselling shared line access, etc. etc.

:(

Chainsaw Bob

Jan 4, 2016, 9:38:00 AM1/4/16
replying to Ant , Chainsaw Bob wrote:
I'm still using DSL, with a max download speed of 6 Mbps. AT&T provides the
wire and central equipment to EarthLink, and EarthLink provides the product to
me. Had it for years! Very pleased with it. Faster would be nice, but
distance to the CO is an issue, and I'm not willing to pay cable rates. We
can watch live video feeds at our current speed.

Friend of mine has it too, but with a 1.5 Mbps feed.

Bob

using Cabling-Design's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
comp.dcom.xdsl and other telecom groups

bob prohaska

Jul 7, 2020, 2:44:37 PM7/7/20
Just curious, is anybody still reading this newsgroup?

Thanks,

bob prohaska

danny burstein

Jul 7, 2020, 2:46:51 PM7/7/20
<raises hand>

dan...@panix.com

Ant

Jul 7, 2020, 4:50:39 PM7/7/20
bob prohaska <b...@www.zefox.net> wrote:
> Just curious, is anybody still reading this newsgroup?

Yes, Bob. ;)
--
Life is so crazy! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, illnesses (e.g., COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2), deaths, heat waves, fires, out(r)ages, unlucky #4, 2020, greeds, etc.
/\___/\:( Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org /

bob prohaska

Jul 7, 2020, 9:01:15 PM7/7/20
Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:
> bob prohaska <b...@www.zefox.net> wrote:
>> Just curious, is anybody still reading this newsgroup?
>
> Yes, Bob. ;)

Excellent, we have what will pass for a quorum in this venerable institution 8-)

A couple years ago AT&T decided I couldn't have DSL over my POTS line, so I switched
to a local reseller (who still uses ATT copper). The total cost was about a wash
(~$90/mo) and the service package slightly better. The reseller (known as Omsoft.com)
employed a company called Sonic Telecom, for apparently both voice and IP connectivity.

Back in April the reseller warned me they were raising prices for IP service by $10.
Then, out of the blue, in July the price for voice service went up by $20. The reseller
claimed this was the work of Sonic Telecom, Sonic Telecom claims it's the doing of the
reseller. Since it's a voice service, the reseller says "take it to the public utilities
commission".

At first I was somewhat steamed, but going over the bill, it appears that voice charges
now come to about $45/mo including unlimited domestic long distance (which I seldom use).
6 Mb/s DSL plus eight static IPs come to about $80/mo.

The question is: Does this seem unreasonable? Perhaps more to the point, is there an
obviously better way to obtain comparable service? I want to keep the POTS line, on
the thesis that "lowest tech is best" so long as it does the job. POTS does, for me.

One other thing: Does anybody know of a _readable_ description of how the onholy troika
(copper-owner, reseller and long-distance carrier) are harnessed to one another?

Thanks for reading, and any ideas!

bob prohaska

Arthur Conan Doyle

Jul 7, 2020, 10:44:51 PM7/7/20
bob prohaska <b...@www.zefox.net> wrote:

>At first I was somewhat steamed, but going over the bill, it appears that voice charges
>now come to about $45/mo including unlimited domestic long distance (which I seldom use).
>6 Mb/s DSL plus eight static IPs come to about $80/mo.
>
>The question is: Does this seem unreasonable? Perhaps more to the point, is there an
>obviously better way to obtain comparable service? I want to keep the POTS line, on
>the thesis that "lowest tech is best" so long as it does the job. POTS does, for me.

Traditional wireline POTS is going the way of the dodo bird. At least one of the
major telcos has filed for bankruptcy and the rest are jacking up prices as fast
as state PUCs will allow. $45 does not sound too bad, but it's only going up.

Your DSL service OTOH is a right ripoff. It doesn't even qualify as high speed
internet under federal standards. Most cablecos offer internet voice bundles.
You might check what is available by you - and you can keep your existing phone
number.