SpamCop

Monty Solomon

Nov 5, 2002, 12:59:34 AM11/5/02
Politech incorrectly blocked by SpamCop -- for the third time
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 10:20:56 -0500 (EST)
http://www.politechbot.com/p-04121.html

Ray Everett-Church on systemic problems with SpamCop
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 15:53:51 -0500 (EST)
http://www.politechbot.com/p-04126.html

Paul Levy on why SpamCop is liable for its overbroad "spam" lists
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 22:55:57 -0500 (EST)
http://www.politechbot.com/p-04128.html

Why not to use SpamCop -- some first-hand accounts
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 23:20:27 -0500 (EST)
http://www.politechbot.com/p-04129.html

Tom Betz

Nov 8, 2002, 1:21:53 AM11/8/02
Quoth Monty Solomon <mo...@roscom.com> in news:telecom22.113.7@telecom-
digest.org:

Note that poor Declan refused to publish any e-mail he received explaining
why people SHOULD use Spamcop. Like this one, for example:

On 4 Nov 2002 at 9:37, Declan McCulloch wrote:

> SpamCop lists Politech on its spammer-list because some other servers also
> hosted at Rackspace.com are alleged spammers.

"alleged" my left foot.

Rackspace is notorious for hosting spammers long-term and with
impunity until their checks start to bounce. Recently, the volume of
spam emanating from Rackspace has increased by leaps and bounds,
making Spamcop list the space whence the spam originates for longer
periods of time.

The problem is not with Spamcop, the problem is with Rackspace.

Spamcop's automated system is working just fine.

I use bl.spamcop.net to great effect, but I've whitelisted cluebot.com
so that I get what I want from it.

However, as long as cluebot.com is living in a spammer-infested
neighborhood, I don't WANT cluebot de-listed.

If you don't like the results of Rackspace's lax management, it
seems to me that you have you have four realistic choices:

1) Leave Rackspace.

2) As you become aware of them, petition the owners of all the servers
bouncing your e-mail because of the Spamcop listing (you ARE paying
attention to your bounce messages, aren't you?) to whitelist
cluebot.com.

3) Arrange for some non-spammy provider to act as a smarthost for
cluebot.com (and maybe bill Rackspace for what it costs you, as
they aren't providing you with the connectivity you contracted for).

4) Lump it. After all, bl.spamcop.net is only used by Spamcop
customers and people who (like me) have decided to use it despite
Julian's warning that it is experimental and will catch non-spam. All
who use it have the option to whitelist and to use it to divert e-mail
into holding folders instead of deleting it.

Well, I guess there is a fifth choice:

5) Whine to everyone who will listen about how unfair Spamcop is.

But of course, we all know you're above that, aren't you Declan?

[ end my friendly note to him ]

While he didn't pass it along to other Politech subscribers, he did reply
with "Sod off."