Optus Outage in Australia

Telecom Digest Moderator

Nov 8, 2023, 6:42:19 PM11/8/23

https://mastodon.au/@xrobau/111376847362633903

A bit of an unofficial post-mortem on #Optus #outage yesterday (please
BOOST for visibility!) I have no insider knowledge, all I can do is
look at what Optus's networking gear told the rest of the world through
#BGP, and make some informed guesses based on that.

The problem yesterday started at about 4am, when Optus told the world
'I no longer have any internet connectivity', and 'Do not send any
internet traffic to me, at all'. The technical description is that they
withdrew ALL of their routes from the #DFZ (Which is "The Internet", as
seen by all the core routers that ACTUALLY control the internet).

[I believe this is the first appearance of a Mastodon/Fediverse link in
the Digest.]