FCC robocall enforcement does little to stop illegal calls, Senate hears

Monty Solomon

Oct 25, 2023, 10:59:04 AM10/25/23
https://arstechnica.com/?p=1978233

The hearing on robocalls was held by the Commerce Committee's
Subcommittee on Communications, Media, and Broadband. Senator Ben Ray
Luján (D-N.M.), the subcommittee chair, said that FCC enforcement is
ineffective and that Congress should give the agency more power. He
mentioned the long-standing problem that the FCC is unable to collect on
most of the robocall fines it issues.

"Scammers and fly-by-night companies are stealing American families'
hard-earned dollars—using our telecom networks to do so—and don't face
any consequences," Luján said. "The FCC levies fines, but fines go
uncollected, and the company dissolves and moves assets elsewhere.
Congress must empower our regulators and enforcement agencies to ensure
that when an individual or a company breaks the law, they are held to
account."