What is this thing on the phone pole?

John Levine

Apr 19, 2022, 6:48:00 PM4/19/22
On a phone pole near my house someone recently installed something related
to mobile phones but I can't tell what it is:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uPHi64SVJX9nNv7u9

The box in the first picture has a MAC and an IMEI so it may be some
sort of mobile router. The blue light frequently flashes. In the
second picture you can see labels WAN1, WAN2/DIV, GPS, 2.4GHZ and NAN.
In the third picture you can see a small antenna up on the pole, to
the left of the transformer.

I happen to know that this pole also has Spectrum cable and phone
company copper and fiber, so it's not like there's any shortage of
communication options. The phone company central office is two
blocks away so it seems too close to be a telco repeater.

Any ideas?

R's,
John

--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Michael Trew

Apr 20, 2022, 10:42:01 PM4/20/22
On 4/19/2022 17:27, John Levine wrote:
> On a phone pole near my house someone recently installed something related
> to mobile phones but I can't tell what it is:
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/uPHi64SVJX9nNv7u9
>
> The box in the first picture has a MAC and an IMEI so it may be some
> sort of mobile router. The blue light frequently flashes. In the
> second picture you can see labels WAN1, WAN2/DIV, GPS, 2.4GHZ and NAN.
> In the third picture you can see a small antenna up on the pole, to
> the left of the transformer.
>
> I happen to know that this pole also has Spectrum cable and phone
> company copper and fiber, so it's not like there's any shortage of
> communication options. The phone company central office is two
> blocks away so it seems too close to be a telco repeater.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> R's,
> John

Some electric utility co/ops are setting up wired and wireless
high-speed internet in neighborhoods, and everyone who subscribes pays a
fixed price. I feel that I've been hearing about the wireless
high-speed internet version more lately; perhaps it's wireless equipment
for some kind of co/op? That's my guess.

Re Rose

Apr 20, 2022, 10:42:02 PM4/20/22
On 19 Apr 2022 21:27:00 -0000, John Levine wrote:

> On a phone pole near my house someone recently installed something
> related to mobile phones but I can't tell what it is:
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/uPHi64SVJX9nNv7u9
>
> The box in the first picture has a MAC and an IMEI so it may be some
> sort of mobile router. The blue light frequently flashes. In the
> second picture you can see labels WAN1, WAN2/DIV, GPS, 2.4GHZ and
> NAN. In the third picture you can see a small antenna up on the
> pole, to the left of the transformer.
>
> I happen to know that this pole also has Spectrum cable and phone
> company copper and fiber, so it's not like there's any shortage of
> communication options. The phone company central office is two
> blocks away so it seems too close to be a telco repeater.
>
> Any ideas?

Is it possible the box is a short-range 5G repeater?

I've heard that the phone companies are placing small repeater boxes
on people's lawns and mailboxes, and they don't much like that. This
could be such a short-range box, placed on a pole so as to avoid
annoying customers by placing it on their property.

This is just a guess, I've read about this but haven't seen any
equipment.

best
Regina

David

Apr 20, 2022, 10:42:32 PM4/20/22
On 4/19/22 5:27 PM, John Levine wrote:

> On a phone pole near my house someone recently installed something related
> to mobile phones but I can't tell what it is:
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/uPHi64SVJX9nNv7u9
>
> The box in the first picture has a MAC and an IMEI so it may be some
> sort of mobile router. The blue light frequently flashes.

The MAC comes back to Silver Spring Networks. They make allegedly
"Smart" power and gas meters.

Ergo: This is a node that your meters report to, either directly or via
mesh.

The node in turn uses SMS to report back to the metering center. It is
also how the powerco turns off your service if you don't pay up; no
reason to roll a truck to remove the meter and risk a confrontation with
an angry resident.

Fred Goldstein

Apr 20, 2022, 10:42:38 PM4/20/22
On 4/19/2022 5:27 PM, John Levine wrote:
> On a phone pole near my house someone recently installed something related
> to mobile phones but I can't tell what it is:
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/uPHi64SVJX9nNv7u9
>
> The box in the first picture has a MAC and an IMEI so it may be some
> sort of mobile router. The blue light frequently flashes. In the
> second picture you can see labels WAN1, WAN2/DIV, GPS, 2.4GHZ and NAN.
> In the third picture you can see a small antenna up on the pole, to
> the left of the transformer.
>
> I happen to know that this pole also has Spectrum cable and phone
> company copper and fiber, so it's not like there's any shortage of
> communication options. The phone company central office is two
> blocks away so it seems too close to be a telco repeater.
>
> Any ideas?

The box was made by Silver Spring Networks, a subsidiary of Itron,
which makes power meters. (The MAC address gives it away; you can look
those up on Wireshark's web site.) So this is probably a collection
device for wireless power meters, like the ones Itron makes that use
the 902 MHz band. It also may be used in a "smart grid", and may be
able to manage certain home devices. The 2.4 GHz capability may be
latent, intended for future home device applications.

--
Fred R. Goldstein k1io fred "at" ionary.com
+1 617 795 2701

Brueggenjohann, Mark

Apr 20, 2022, 10:42:40 PM4/20/22
***** Moderator's Note *****

I asked the Media Relations group at the IBEW HQ in Washington for
help. Here's a reply from their Director.

Bill Horne
Moderator

***************************

Bill,

After checking with some other telecom people this is the explanation
for the equipment that you are asking about:

"It's actually for the power company system with new technology, every
customer will get a new automated meter, equipped with a network radio.
The radio transmits meter readings to the access points, housed on the
electric pole. This is the access point."

I hope this helps.

Mark

Mark Brueggenjohann
Director- IBEW Media
International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
900 7th St. NW
Washington DC, 20001
202-728-6014

Christopher Herot

Apr 21, 2022, 7:08:58 PM4/21/22
The air protocol from the meter is simple and unencrypted.

https://www.smartmetereducationnetwork.com/uploads/how-to-tell-if-I-have-a-ami-dte-smart-advanced-meter/Itron%20Centron%20Meter%20Technical%20Guide1482163-201106090057150.pdf

If you want to have fun with software defined radio you can find all
sorts of advice on the interwebs.

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/remoticon-2021-smart-meter-hacking-talk/