Monthly TCPA Digest - August 2022

Bill Horne

Sep 1, 2022, 9:35:16 PM9/1/22
by Russell H. Fox, Jonathan P. Garvin, Joshua Briones, and Esteban Morales

We are pleased to present our latest Monthly TCPA Digest, providing
insights and news related to the Telephone Consumer Protection Act
(TCPA). In this issue's Regulatory Update, we discuss a Public Notice
issued by the FCC's Wireline Competition Bureau (WCB) seeking comment on
two recurring obligations relating to the FCC's caller ID authentication
rules, which were both imposed by the Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal
Enforcement and Deterrence Act (TRACED Act). The WCB seeks comment on
extensions for the implementation of STIR/SHAKEN call authentication
technology that it granted in 2020 and the efficacy of STIR/SHAKEN at
eliminating unlawful calls. We also cover a Memorandum of Understanding
between the FCC and the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications
Commission (CRTC) that calls for the two agencies to provide mutual
assistance in their robocall enforcement activities.

https://tinyurl.com/2kpzzezw

--
(Please remove QRM from my email address to write to me directly)

danny burstein

Sep 24, 2022, 1:14:46 PM9/24/22
Attack affects other gov't functions, too

By Pei-Sze Cheng [wnbc news]

Suffolk County Asks NYPD for Help After Hack Cripples 911 Call
Center and Police HQ

Ten days after a cyber attack hit Suffolk County computers, much of
the county's police department is still deeply feeling the effects -
and is calling on the NYPD for backup.

The 911 dispatch center at the Suffolk County Police Department
headquarters has been reduced to using pen and paper, after hackers
took down the county government's computers.

"Unfortunately had to go back to our old system where information is
recorded by hand and information is handed to the dispatcher, in
contrast to putting it into a computer-aided system," said Suffolk
County Police Commissioner Rodney Harrison. ....... And it's not
just police hurting as a result. Title searches, an essential part of
real estate closings, have been frozen too. Lawyers and buyers are
trying to proceed with caution.
=====
rest:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/suffolk-county-hack-cripples-911-call-center-and-police-hq-as-they-turn-to-nypd-for-help/3871797/