Multi gigabit service from Comcast via DOCSIS 4.0 in 2023

Marco Moock

Sep 30, 2022, 12:53:07 PM9/30/22
Opinion - Posted on September 9, 2022 by Alan Weissberger

Comcast is on a path to deliver 10Gbps connectivity. Speaking at a
Bank of America investor conference on September 8th, Comcast EVP and
Deputy CFO and Treasurer Jason Armstrong said the cable network
operator will be in the market with DOCSIS 4.0 and offering
symmetrical multi-gig broadband in the second half of 2023.
Currently, upload speeds top out at 200 Mbps.

Armstrong said: "Comcast fiber connectivity has gone from 0% to 40%
sort of across our footprint in a fairly linear fashion. And in that
time frame, we've become America's number one broadband provider, 32
million subs. I would tell you in the last couple of years through the
pandemic, we added three million subscribers in an environment where
fiber was actually picking up in terms of the presence in the markets
that served against us ... Fixed wireless access (FWA) is newer, but
longer term, fiber is the real long-term competitor. And it always has
been. Our view hasn't changed. It's a very viable competitor."

Comcast said rollouts of its 2-gig offering are underway in Colorado
Springs, Colorado; Augusta, Georgia; and Panama City Beach, Florida.
It added the service will be available in a total of 34 markets by the
end of 2022 and to more than 50 million locations across the country
by the end of 2025. Comcast already offers speeds of up to 1.2 Gbps
across its entire cable network using DOCSIS 3.1 technology and has
been rolling out mid-split upgrades over the past several months in
preparation for an update to DOCSIS 4.0. Speeds of up to 6 Gbps are
already available to certain Xfinity fiber customers.

https://techblog.comsoc.org/2022/09/09/comcast-to-roll-out-docsis-4-0-and-multi-gig-speeds-in-2023-fiber-not-fwa-is-the-real-competitor/