Samsung DCS Compact troubleshooting...

Kris Stark

Dec 2, 2003, 11:51:52 PM12/2/03
Hi....

Hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction in getting a DCS
Compact repaired...

After a bried power fluctuation, our DCSc decided to call it quits...
The only indication I get on the phones is the revision number, but it
appears as if the system will not completely boot up. No obvious
indications of problems on the ksu or boards, and I've tried to isolate
the problem as much as possible (ie. pull the expansion board, bring the
system to a bare bones config) but still nothing. The RAM pack has a
light on it still, as does the main power indicator, but even a reset of
the RAM pack will not bring the system back up.

From what I can tell, the power supply *may* be putting out a low +48,
but since I don't have a clue as to what the actual tolerances are, and I
don't have a good way to measure the voltage under load, I can't say for
sure...

Anybody have any hints, save replacing the entire system? Or a source
for a parts unit I could try to play parts swap with...

Thanks!

Kris

Rich Piehl

Dec 3, 2003, 9:00:48 PM12/3/03
Kris Stark wrote:

I'll see if I can lay my hands on the power supply specs for the
Compact tomorrow. Also, be sure to check both fuses in the pwoer
supply to make sure they're good.

But, generally speaking, if the phones are displaying their software
version the problem isn't with the power supply. More likely it's
with the ram pack or the software chipset.

You said the ram pack light was on, but is it flashing? If it's not
flashing it's not working. You also might also try reseating the
chipset in the lower right corner of the motherboard. Bent pins on
those will cuase the symptoms you describe (though how they would
get bent by a power fluxuation is a good question). But they might
have gotten fried out.

Hope this helps some.

Take care,
Rich

God bless the USA

--
Pour me something tall and strong.
Make it a hurricane. Before I go insane.

--Alan Jackson

angc...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2017, 4:18:54 PM8/3/17
Hey Alan.
you were a real blessing to me today !
My phone repair guy wanted to sell me a new system for thousands of dollars as he said my system was dead. I read your suggestion and we did it and it solved the problem ! Thanks a bunch !!

Dan