1000 Hz test tone

Rich Cullen

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

How can I get the number to call to bring up a 1000 Hz tone to test the
audio level on my lines.

Ameritech won't give it to me.

I take care of the computer and phone systems for my company. I have
four branch offices in Ameritech territory (although I'm using a CLEC)
and one in GTE.

Thanks for any help.

Rich

GreivAngel

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

Wanna swing a quick LD call? a 1004 hz test tone (there is no such thing as a
1000 hz tone anymore. The tone generate some error in t-1 muxers) at 201 585
9966, 201 944 9966 or 567 9966

Floyd Davidson

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

Make it worth their while to provide you with the number...
call them up on a regular basis and request assistance for
routine maintenance: doing loss measurements on each and every
individual line, manually. When they complain, tell them it
isn't _your_ idea, it's just "company policy". If they don't
have the time in the morning, call them again that afternoon.
If they can't do it today, call them tomorrow.

It won't take long before they give you the number for their
milliwatt. Ask for a quiet term number too. Ask if they have a
loop back (T108/T109) test pair too.

Heh heh, be sure to say thank you in a nice tone of voice!

Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson fl...@ptialaska.net
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

Al Gillis

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

Rich...

I've got two thoughts on this item:

Thought #1: Since you're using a CLEC (but wait... aren't
they ALL competitive now?) Ameritech has little motivation to
give you anything! If you're not doing anything for them like
buying trunks or other services, why should they give you things?
Maybe the CLEC should install a milliwatt and tell you it's number.
That's what I think.

Thought #2: Okay, you still want the Ameritech milliwatt
number. So latch onto an Ameritech technician and over a
period of time, buy him a cup of coffee, give him a company
baseball hat or a polo shirt make sure he has a chair when
he comes to visit on a repair call you cause to happen and
soon he'll be on your side. If you are competent and can
convince him you're not going to abuse his information you
can probably get it easily.

What's that old saying? You can catch more files with honey
than with vinegar

Good luck... Al

Rich Cullen wrote:

> How can I get the number to call to bring up a 1000 Hz tone to test the audio level on my lines.
>
> Ameritech won't give it to me.
>
> I take care of the computer and phone systems for my company. I have
> four branch offices in Ameritech territory (although I'm using a CLEC)
> and one in GTE.

Rich Cullen

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

Al,

Thanks for the tips.

I actually got the numbers I needed from a friendly telecom equipment
supplier in the area.

Since my CLEC resells Ameritech services, it seems to me that the
milliwatt should come with the package.

Another thing. I guess I'm naive, but I get the impression that there
are some nefarious things that can be done with this information. I got
one response from a guy who seemed to be a phone phreaker. I must be
missing something. Maybe I don't have a criminal mind.

I used the signal to check the dB loss on my lines. How could that
possibly be misused?

Rich

GHTROUT

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

Rich Cullen at ri...@cullenmed.com wrote...

> I used the signal to check the dB loss on my lines. How could that
> possibly be misused?

Well, about the worst thing that could happen is someone posts the
number in a newsgroup and Ameritech changes it. Your phreaker is
probably a 10 year old kid who thinks he can make free calls if he
knows that number....which is typical of wannabe phreakers.
--
Reply to Newsgroup, or find email here:
http://www.ameritech.net/users/ghtrout/1.html

Tony Pelliccio

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

In article <3578A49E...@teleport.com>, a...@teleport.com says...

> Rich...
>
> I've got two thoughts on this item:
>
> Thought #1: Since you're using a CLEC (but wait... aren't
> they ALL competitive now?) Ameritech has little motivation to
> give you anything! If you're not doing anything for them like
> buying trunks or other services, why should they give you things?
> Maybe the CLEC should install a milliwatt and tell you it's number.
> That's what I think.

Depends on the CLEC you're with. The folks at Brooks gave me the ANAC and
1kHz test numbers without any argument.

Tony

John Lundgren

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

GHTROUT wrote:

> Rich Cullen at ri...@cullenmed.com wrote...

> > I used the signal to check the dB loss on my lines. How could that
> > possibly be misused?

> Well, about the worst thing that could happen is someone posts the
> number in a newsgroup and Ameritech changes it. Your phreaker is
> probably a 10 year old kid who thinks he can make free calls if he
> knows that number....which is typical of wannabe phreakers.
> --

And then the little parasite wannabe posts the number as 'kewl' and
3l33t' and then thousands of phone calls cause it to be busy so the
phone techs can't do their job. Then they *have* to change it.

--
Please remove NO and SPAM from my email addr to reply.

XKMFDMx

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

>Another thing. I guess I'm naive, but I get the impression that there
>are some nefarious things that can be done with this information. I got
>one response from a guy who seemed to be a phone phreaker. I must be
>missing something. Maybe I don't have a criminal mind.

Sure beats me...I've been in phreaking circles for years, and I've never heard
of any evil uses for milliwatt test #'s . I can't think of any either, since I
don't see how anybody could perpetrate any toll fraud through them, which
unfortunately is what many phreaks are after...

*Maniac* 1-978-440-8146 x.212=VMB
Telecom and electronics enthusiast, Chief engineer, WYAJ FM
Does E.T. phone home using 1-800-COLLECT?
Racism+bigotry+sexism=IGNORANCE

Anton Johnson

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98
to ri...@cullenmed.com

Greetings Rich,
The test number is XXX-0020. This is in the old switches and sometimes
is carried forth as a test number in the new switches if the number was
in use in the old switches. You can try all the prefixes to see if you
can find one that works. I just
moved and tried it in the switch where I moved and it does work on my
phones.

--
>> To Reply remove the last "S" in Johnsons <<

Great Business Opportunity, check it out today!
http://www.onlineexchange/johnson

Have a great Day! Anton Johnson

Rich Cullen

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

Well, I tried XXX-0020 on my exchange and got someone out of bed.

I guess they didn't carry the number over on the switch that serves me.

Rich

Floyd Davidson

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

In article <357D2C...@cullenmed.com>,

There is no standard for a dial-up milliwatt number. One large
company happens to commonly use the xxx-0020 number. Some
telco's use a 99xx number. Another common number is 1102 (the
1000 series being the base, and the test number being the last
three digits, so 1101, 1102, 1103, 1104, 1105, etc are all valid
test numbers).

There are some totally off the wall random numbers used too. And
the worst case that I know of is a small switch that was once
programmed to use xxx-0C02 (which can't be dialed with a standard
telephone DTMF 3x4 pad).

The idea that giving out the T102 test number will lead to abuse,
or even to excessive calls is probably just paranoia. Only very
small switches have only a single milliwatt device, and larger
switches will have many. Of course the device gets used for
more than just the dialup access too.

Tony Pelliccio

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

In article <6ljc15$o...@enews1.newsguy.com>, fl...@tanana.polarnet.com
says...

> There are some totally off the wall random numbers used too. And
> the worst case that I know of is a small switch that was once
> programmed to use xxx-0C02 (which can't be dialed with a standard
> telephone DTMF 3x4 pad).

Ah.. but many things can and do generate the A,B,C,D tones. It's fairly
easy to modify a standard WECO TT pad to open up the fourth column and
enable A,B,C,D using a toggle switch and the third column.

Tony

Floyd Davidson

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

In article <MPG.fe7c24db...@news.ultranet.com>,

Make a kluge modification to every tel set required to dial up
a milliwatt? :-)

That demonstrates exactly what makes that a "worst case".

XKMFDMx

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

Tony wrote

>Ah.. but many things can and do generate the A,B,C,D tones. It's fairly
>easy to modify a standard WECO TT pad to open up the fourth column and
>enable A,B,C,D using a toggle switch and the third column.

Actually, this was commonly done by phreaks in the early 80's. It's known as
the silver box. Basically, people modified tonepads by adding a switch which
switched between tne third and fourth columns, so one could use the fourth
column's 1633hz tone instead of the third column's 1208?Hz tone to generate
DTMF, producing A, B, C, and D instead of 3, 6,9, and #.
The Purpose? Back in the early 80's, the Military's Autovon phone network still
existed. (It's since been replaced by Black DSN(relatively secure), and Red
DSN(Extremely secure, due to heavy duty encryption), but that's another story)
The autovon network could be controlled by A,B,C,D tones. A was called flash, B
was called flash override, C was called priority, and D was called priority
override. I believe that the A key was different than the flash we have today,
but I might be wrong. Another way this "box" was used was to setup
conversations between phreaks on switches that were 4ESS or below. One would
call an operator and blast the D tone down the line. This would cause a pulsing
dialtone, and if the caller entered either 6 or 7, they could talk to whoever
had connected via the other number, i.e. 6---7, or 7----6. This was basically
like having a loop internal to switch.
I'm almost positive that this doesn't work anymore...

However, an interesting idea arises from this...If one modified a voice mail
system to recognize A, B, C, D tones, unconventional access codes could be
used, making it MUCH more difficult for mailboxes to be penetrated by outside
individuals. all a person would need to do to use this is to modify their
tonepad, or to replace it with one that has 16 keys..This way, nobody without a
modified phone would even have a chance of getting into the box. Scanning
programs could still be used, but they would have to be rewritten to support
ABCD, and the number of possible combinations would also be increased
significantly..It's certainly something to think about.

Brendan Keith

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

John Lundgren wrote:

> XKMFDMx wrote:
>
> > Tony wrote
> [snip]

> > However, an interesting idea arises from this...If one modified a voice mail
> > system to recognize A, B, C, D tones, unconventional access codes could be
> > used, making it MUCH more difficult for mailboxes to be penetrated by outside
> > individuals.

> I don't see this as being secure at all. Modems can generate the fourth
> column so easily that this security is worthless. And it's not
> difficult, as you pointed out, to modify a regular phone for this.

Granted, there are ways to generate the fourth column tones but the most
casual hacker won't bother trying it. Even if EVERY phone had the keys,
as the original post stated, merely having the extra keys would increase
the number of combinations possible.

Consider: 5 digit PIN @ 12 keys = 248832 combinations
5 digit PIN @ 16 keys = 1048576 combinations

Looks like an improvement to me.
--
Brendan Keith
Same old Email Address: Brenda...@wilcom.com

GreivAngel

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

You're breaking the first Commandmant of phone phreaking. You don't divert
through a PBX or VMB from your house phone, you go to a payphone if you know
whats good for you. It's likely impossible to start altering a payphone's dial
and portable silver boxes are a pain to build.

But you're overlooking the BEST part. How would a phone phreak know that your
passcodes incoporated ABCD tones?
Ocean County Phone Punx
ocpp.home.ml.org

Brendan Keith

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

GreivAngel wrote:

> You're breaking the first Commandmant of phone phreaking. You don't divert
> through a PBX or VMB from your house phone, you go to a payphone if you know
> whats good for you. It's likely impossible to start altering a payphone's dial
> and portable silver boxes are a pain to build.

I'm not trying to phreak. I actually work in the industry.
I don't remember which one is a silver box but it's simple to
modify a pocket dialer to do ABCD.

> But you're overlooking the BEST part. How would a phone phreak know that your
> passcodes incoporated ABCD tones?

They likely wouldn't suspect it, unless it started to become common
then the 'secrecy' aspect of it would be gone but the extra
4 digits to hack would still slow down a hacker.

John Lundgren

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

Brendan Keith wrote:

> John Lundgren wrote:
> > XKMFDMx wrote:

> > > Tony wrote
> > [snip]

> > > However, an interesting idea arises from this...If one modified a voice mail
> > > system to recognize A, B, C, D tones, unconventional access codes could be
> > > used, making it MUCH more difficult for mailboxes to be penetrated by outside
> > > individuals.

> > I don't see this as being secure at all. Modems can generate the fourth
> > column so easily that this security is worthless. And it's not
> > difficult, as you pointed out, to modify a regular phone for this.

> Granted, there are ways to generate the fourth column tones but the most
> casual hacker won't bother trying it. Even if EVERY phone had the keys,
> as the original post stated, merely having the extra keys would increase
> the number of combinations possible.

> Consider: 5 digit PIN @ 12 keys = 248832 combinations
> 5 digit PIN @ 16 keys = 1048576 combinations

> Looks like an improvement to me.

Looks like child's play for a computer to me.

There is no such thing as a casual hacker.

And there are such things as demon dialers and modem scripts that can
redial a number indefinitely and just keep on trying differen combos of
any number until it gets thru.

So the conclusion is that the hackers are lazy, but very wiley.. With
plenty of time on their hands.

A long time ago I wrote an iterative Pi generation prog. in GWBasic and
let it run on an old XT for a few weeks to see what it would do. A few
months ago I ran it on the 200 MHz Pentium I now have, and it did about
the same thing in a matter of minutes. Times have changed.. A lot..

--
Please remove NO and SPAM from my email addr to reply.
--
@@@@@@@@@@T@h@e@@I@n@t@e@r@n@e@t@@w@a@s@@c@o@o@l@@u@n@t@i@l@@@@@@@@
@ John Lundgren Elec. Tech, Info. Tech. Svcs.| lundgrej <AT> mail @
@ Rancho Santiago Community College District | .rancho.cc.ca.us @
@ 17th St. at Bristol \ Santa Ana, CA 92706 |www.rancho.cc.ca.us @
@ My opinions are mine, NOT my employer's. |PGP key avail on req@

@We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities. W.Kelly,Pogo@

John Lundgren

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

GreivAngel wrote:
[snip]

> But you're overlooking the BEST part. How would a phone phreak know that your
> passcodes incoporated ABCD tones?

> Ocean County Phone Punx
> ocpp.home.ml.org

Gee, you didn't know that all phreakers got their information from the
Internet? Where have you been, in a cave? I mean, like it's all over
the news.

And then some phreaker gets on DeJaNews or AltaVista and finds this
discussion, and Voila'. A light bulb lights up above his little head!

Brendan Keith

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

John Lundgren wrote:

> Brendan Keith wrote:
>
> > Consider: 5 digit PIN @ 12 keys = 248832 combinations
> > 5 digit PIN @ 16 keys = 1048576 combinations
>
> > Looks like an improvement to me.
>
> Looks like child's play for a computer to me.
>
> There is no such thing as a casual hacker.

Sure there is. The boss trying to figure out his secretary's
PIN or vice versa or a prank amongst co-workers. Or an office manager
who has to open a vacationing employee's box. Etc.

> And there are such things as demon dialers and modem scripts that can
> redial a number indefinitely and just keep on trying differen combos of
> any number until it gets thru.
> So the conclusion is that the hackers are lazy, but very wiley.. With
> plenty of time on their hands.

That's fine. Those are not the 'casual' types. They have the tools.
But the increased number of permutations will slow them down.

> A long time ago I wrote an iterative Pi generation prog. in GWBasic and
> let it run on an old XT for a few weeks to see what it would do. A few
> months ago I ran it on the 200 MHz Pentium I now have, and it did about
> the same thing in a matter of minutes. Times have changed.. A lot..

But Dialogic boards, etc, can only recognize tones so fast.
It will still take longer to run through the increased number of codes.

XKMFDMx

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

>I don't see this as being secure at all. Modems can generate the fourth
>column so easily that this security is worthless. And it's not
>difficult, as you pointed out, to modify a regular phone for this.

Crap. how could I overlook the capabilities of modems..
Well, there goes that idea, I guess.

Tony Pelliccio

Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98

In article <3589CF...@wilcom.com>, brenda...@wilcom.com says...

> Sure there is. The boss trying to figure out his secretary's
> PIN or vice versa or a prank amongst co-workers. Or an office manager
> who has to open a vacationing employee's box. Etc.

I think the point that people are missing here is the simplicity of
passwords that most people use. Most folks use their extension number,
home phone number, birthday, then spouse, kid, dog, cat etc.

Tony

GreivAngel

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98

<sarcastic applause> very clever response. I never would have thought that
phreaks could use computers, let alone use them to disseminate info over the
net . Lord knows this particular newsgroup leaks info like a sponge, but that
besides the point.

Adding another 4 digits will frustrate most phreaks. YES, any idiot can
download a wardialer, but I'm yet to see one that could dial ABCD tones. You'll
at least get a brief repreive while someone messes with the code in ToneLoc.

No matter what though, aging passwords on a monthly or even more frequent basis
will deter phone phreaks best.

XKMFDMx

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98

Quite true...As far as I know there is no scannng program in existence that
does ABCD tones. If phreaks caught on, I'm sure on would be written eventually,
but using ABCD will DEFINITELY deter people. Especially useful when used on
the admin box.

Passwords should be changed frequently because an password that doesn't change
will be cracked eventually if people keep trying. So many people are lax on
security. For instance, my school purchased a Mitel system in 1996...I found
out the default password and hacked their maintainence port, then notified them
of the security problem which was corrected by their Mitel service
representative.
And no, I DID NOT set up DISA access or screw things up. I may be a hacker, but
I'm not like that....

Greivangel wrote

*Maniac* 1-978-440-8146 x.212=VMB

Sean Donelan

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98

In article <199806212230...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, xkm...@aol.com (XKMFDMx) writes:
> Quite true...As far as I know there is no scannng program in existence that
> does ABCD tones. If phreaks caught on, I'm sure on would be written eventually,
> but using ABCD will DEFINITELY deter people. Especially useful when used on
> the admin box.

I know of at least one :-) If you are going to do something, you might
as well do it right. But you are correct, scanners usually don't use the
ABCD tones unless they have a particular reason. At best it slows things
down, or may trip a honeypot alarm in the switch. Other than HAM repeaters
or Autovon, the tones are a rare find. However their rarity can attract
undue attention to your admin box. Phreakers get enormously interested
in any box that reacts to ABCD tones in any way.

GreivAngel

Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98

Begging your pardon, but I believe he was referring to a wardialing program,
not a radio scanner (but i've seen those with ABCD tones too...)

Gorden Gibson

Oct 5, 2022, 9:23:27 PM10/5/22
Try 408-224-0020.