Which switch?

Andrew Gideon

Feb 7, 2006, 5:44:58 PM2/7/06

I need a switch (or switches), but I'm having some trouble determining
which. I've been going through the "switch" page on Cisco's site, and I've
not found a clear comparison of features between the various products.

Why not?

I need GigE, 802.3ad, 802.1q, a console port, and something like "port
protect". Traffic shaping, ACLs, etc. would be nice. L3 routing is
overkill.

Speed is important, as this switch will carry at least some iSCSI traffic.

I could go for a single 48 port switch or a couple of 24 port switches.

2970G-24T? 2960G-24TC? 2948G-GE-TX? Something else? Is there a reference
I'm missing on Cisco.com?

What about non-Cisco choices? Any recommendations?

Thanks...

- Andrew

Wally

Feb 7, 2006, 9:54:34 PM2/7/06
Andrew,
The 2948 is old. The 2960 and 2970 are similars, but the 2970 is older
and more expensive than the other one.
Conclusion: I think 2960 would be the beter solution.
If you need L3 features, I recomend the 3750.
regards

www.BradReese.Com

Feb 7, 2006, 11:28:07 PM2/7/06
Andrew,

The 2005 Cisco Product Guide has a good matrix:

http://www.bradreese.com/2005-cisco-guide.htm

Found at Cisco Product Guides:

http://www.bradreese.com/refurbished-cisco-product-guide.htm

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
BradReese.Com Cisco Engineers
http://www.BradReese.Com
1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272

Andrew Gideon

Feb 14, 2006, 9:56:49 AM2/14/06
Wally wrote:

> The 2960 and 2970 are similars, but the 2970 is older
> and more expensive than the other one.

The 29*6*0 is newer than the 29*7*0?

Is there some pattern to the numbering schemes that would make sense to some
poor mortal as myself??

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

- Andrew