IOS 15.0 why?

Lutz Donnerhacke

Oct 2, 2009, 6:33:39 AM10/2/09
Is it really true, that Cisco marking people choosed to skip the major
versions 13.* and 14.* due to the bad faith of 13 in Europe and 14 in Asia?

Stephen

Oct 2, 2009, 5:16:36 PM10/2/09

Yes - the next version is 15. No idea about why they skipped 13 & 14.

maybe someone at Cisco figured out they are unlikely to run out of
numbers?
--
Regards

stephe...@xyzworld.com - replace xyz with ntl

bod43

Oct 2, 2009, 6:43:43 PM10/2/09
On 2 Oct, 22:16, Stephen <stephen_h...@xyzworld.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 10:33:39 +0000 (UTC), Lutz Donnerhacke
>
> <l...@iks-jena.de> wrote:
> >Is it really true, that Cisco marking people choosed to skip the major
> >versions 13.* and 14.* due to the bad faith of 13 in Europe and 14 in Asia?
>
> Yes - the next version is 15. No idea about why they skipped 13 & 14.
>
> maybe someone at Cisco figured out they are unlikely to run out of
> numbers?

Really! I saw the original post but did not really believe it.

Assuming that it is true -

It does irritate me a little that they have apparently
pandered to such whaco ideas, but on the other hand
it clearly does no harm in and of itself. If it makes
some people happy why not?

If it turns out to be true they will go down a notch in my
in my view.

Maybe on day soon the kit will come with a compass
on the top to aid in the correct alignment with ley lines,
or the zodiac.

Uli Link

Oct 3, 2009, 9:19:08 AM10/3/09
bod43 schrieb:

> Really! I saw the original post but did not really believe it.
>
> Assuming that it is true -
>
> It does irritate me a little that they have apparently
> pandered to such whaco ideas, but on the other hand
> it clearly does no harm in and of itself. If it makes
> some people happy why not?
>
> If it turns out to be true they will go down a notch in my
> in my view.
>
> Maybe on day soon the kit will come with a compass
> on the top to aid in the correct alignment with ley lines,
> or the zodiac.

Marketing blahblah...

The best: IOS 15.0M now has an "extended" maintenance for 44 month.
If I still remember IOS 12.4(1) appeared in early May 2005, about 54
months ago, and I didn't saw an EoS notice by now, so it will live at
least for 60 month.

Featuresets like Advipservices, WebVPN or IPS signatures are licensed to
urge money contineous out of customers. First for DRAM and flash
upgrades and then for IPS signatures...

My suggestion to Cisco: Pay for every Traceback Cisco prices and get
3com quality.

--
ULi

Jasper Janssen

Nov 18, 2009, 10:53:59 AM11/18/09
On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 21:16:36 GMT, Stephen <stephe...@xyzworld.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 10:33:39 +0000 (UTC), Lutz Donnerhacke
><lu...@iks-jena.de> wrote:
>
>>Is it really true, that Cisco marking people choosed to skip the major
>>versions 13.* and 14.* due to the bad faith of 13 in Europe and 14 in Asia?
>
>Yes - the next version is 15. No idea about why they skipped 13 & 14.
>
>maybe someone at Cisco figured out they are unlikely to run out of
>numbers?

I suspect it's more to avoid confusion with 12.3 and 12.4. 12.x has been
the latest IOS for so long, it'd not be hard for focus groups to at first
glance thing that IOS 13.0 might be older than 12.4.0. by moving from 12.4
to 15 you skip that problem.

As for the triskaidekaphobia, in the West it isn't all that widespread,
not enough to impact sales, but in many Asian locales superstitions is
taken seriously enough that you simply won't sell quite as much. While
Demon Internet did good business with nameservers and helpdesk phone
numbers with 666 in them, you probably wouldn't get a decent market share
in the American Deep South with that either.

Jasper