Token ring beginner

1 view

Adelphia News Reader

Apr 12, 2002, 8:07:00 PM4/12/02
This is my first time doing this. What is the proper way to hook up my
router to this
IBM Mau 8228?

I have a PC with Token Ring card, a Type1toRJ 45 Cable, a Type1toDB9 cable,
and a Cisco 2502. All I want to do is get these two devices to talk to each
other.

Which device goes into the RI port on the MAU and which device goes into the
RO port on the MAU.

Is there anything else I am missing? Who still uses this stuff.....

Alex

Apr 12, 2002, 10:36:03 PM4/12/02
Memories of blue....

The RI/RO are used to daisy chain other 8228's. Those click's you'll hear
when you plug the cables in are solenoids going off to make the contacts.
Ooooh, then there's that wonderful type 1 hermaphroditic (not even sure I
spelled this right) connector. Just match the connectors DB9 and the RJ45
will end up on the hosts (router and PC) end while the hermaphroditic
(there's that word again) connector goes into the 8228, but not on the Ring
In or Ring Out.

Why can't I forget this stuff, I know why. Nightmares of clicking MAU's
(another name for the 8228) when the ring is beaconing.
ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

Good luck!

"Adelphia News Reader" <adel...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

JohnM

Apr 13, 2002, 12:05:33 AM4/13/02
and hopefully you don't need the little port charging device..... forgot
the official name.

"Alex" <(SPAM)ae...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Roger Graham

Apr 13, 2002, 9:12:04 AM4/13/02
We called them "Mau Clearers" You need them when that particular port on the
MAU gets STUCK open or closed, I forget don't care really .. Unreal.. (But
we still use some MAU's) And those Clerarers are always hidden somewhere it
seems.

-rg
"JohnM" <jfm...@monroe.net> wrote in message

Hansang Bae

Apr 14, 2002, 1:03:30 AM4/14/02
In article <3cb7ae8e$0$41$4c41...@reader0.ash.ops.us.uu.net>,
jfm...@monroe.net says...

> and hopefully you don't need the little port charging device..... forgot
> the official name.

Setup Aid Tool.

To the original poster:

See http://www.pacificcable.com/TokenRing.htm for connectors that you'll
need

Also, see: http://members.aol.com/mcapage1/8228tool.htm if you need to make
your own setup aid tool. Most MAUs that sat around for a while will need to
be reset.

--

hsb

Sam

Aug 1, 2002, 7:14:09 AM8/1/02
Did you get this working i am trying to do the same thing perhaps you would
be kind enough to post your configs on the router.

thanks

Gumby

Aug 1, 2002, 7:24:41 AM8/1/02
RI & RO are used for chaining MAU's together, not for connecting devices.
The router will use the DB9 to Type 1 cable, the PC may use the other cable
depending upon the NIC. Use the ports on the MAU other than RI or RO for
both the router and the PC. It's best to have the cables plugged in before
you boot the PC and you can shut/no shut the router interface to get it to
initialise the MAU port.

"Sam" <unk...@unknown.com> wrote in message

Mathias Gaertner

Aug 1, 2002, 11:58:49 AM8/1/02
some of the older MAUs require a closed ring even though there's no
other MAU. So, if your ring keeps failing, simply connect RI to RO with
a patchcable (straight).

Mathias